Pitchfork reviews Run the Road

Woebot

not trolling per se but who exactly reads pitchfork?

and (ontologically speaking) what is pitchfork?

ryan17

well thats good news for all you london grime heads.

now when you want to sell all of your grime white label shit in 5 years you can retire because armies of american indie kids will be trying to catch up on culture they had previously missed out on.

Clubberlang

Like the dollar is gonna be strong enough in five years time for Americans to be able to afford to buy anything haha.

DavidD

can't be stopped
The vast majority of pfork readers have never heard anything other than "Boy In Da Corner."

A shot in the dark here but pfork's audience is probably primarily college-age middle and upper-middle class white ppls from the united states.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Probably not. But don't underestimate the influence that can have... I mean, not being from London, it was Vice MAg that got me to listen to Dizzee, so we can all come from strange places.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Oh I'm not disparaging anyone from discovering music through it; I think pfork's been doing a good job lately, particularly w/ scott p. in the managing editor spot. They need to come around to jamaican music tho.

Backjob

ryan17 said:
well thats good news for all you london grime heads.

now when you want to sell all of your grime white label shit in 5 years you can retire because armies of american indie kids will be trying to catch up on culture they had previously missed out on.

This is so on the money. Look at the way prices for early 90s old school and jungle stuff shot through the roof on eBay after Tigerbeat started popularising it for the indie crowd. Probably not that many of 'em will buy it now, but in 5-6 years time there'll be a revival...

soul_pill

I've been saying that for 3 years:

in the same way that many fans of aphex twin and some "breakcore" artists are now frantically searching out old (drill'n'bass inspiring?) jungle and ragga-jungle cut-up amen 12"s that sound like early squarepusher for "big money" on ebay (when they would have turned their nose up at the time) - i guarantee that these records are the dj's collectable items of the future - you start checking out the uk garage tracks in your local shop - or if you're too far from london on an online store...

http://www.absorb.org/articles/ukgarage/index.html

Cole

tray dipper
future?

what about right now? it is tough to find any grime in the us besides the stuff on xl and the two comps. so if any of you want to part with your white labels early let me know. please!

Eric

Mr Moraigero
ah. I guess that would make sense. somehow those two don't even enter my headspace when I think "grime" ...

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
Like the dollar is gonna be strong enough in five years time for Americans to be able to afford to buy anything haha.

Believe me. You should see how much I spent on my last record order. I'm really having to just utilize what I have now and what I've come by through the graces of dj's and producers sending me shit over msn. There was a time when I'd get my money's worth when ordering from the UK. Now I'm just trying to keep up with essential releases. Can't wait till 2008 and we have a president that isn't driving our country into debt and chooses some wise economic advisors.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
When Dizzee Rascal's "I Luv U" first leaked to the internet, it was accompanied by the rumor that it was made with an iBook and a cheapie pencil microphone. A ridiculous visual in retrospect-- iLife in Bow E3!-- but it's interesting that someone somewhere thought it made more sense to tight-focus on Rascal's tools rather than his environment. His environment, after all, was the real story; first in the parentless, concrete battleground that he narrated to lucid detail on Boy In Da Corner and later, in the incredible roster of talent that turned out to be lurking just off Dizzee's camera all along.

I almost felt to stop reading after that opening paragraph. I had de ja vu.

This is why I have a distaste for CERTAIN journalists and publications attempting to cover our music. It comes across as some sort of liberal feel good story. The music receives rave reviews because that appears to be the in thing to do, rather than it being the honest opinion of the writer. And while that is all well and good today, when tomorrow comes and Grime has outlived its novelty and a new sound of the moment has been championed by some mop haired middle aged writer in Shoreditch, where does that leave the music that some of us actually put a lot of work in to make and sell?

I firmly encourage every artist I deal with to exploit and use any "trendy" press coverage they can get to further their own career and make permanent footholds in the industry rather than attempting to ride the tide of praise to stardom. When you have such whimsical publications as your sole source of promotion, your career is held in a fine balance. Thankfully we have Channel U now which will always help give new acts exposure, and lets natural selection take its course.

The music of Dylan Mills was always the real story of Boy In The Corner, not the fantastical "hard streets of Bow" in which the fairy-tale media accounts of his struggle were set. Bow's actually a lovely place.

I don't know if I am being overly protective or cynical, it just worries me in a "worst case scenario" kind of way when a lot of people who don't understand the music or culture of young Londoners try to make sweeping observations about the whole scene without really seeing it first hand. Every review seems to read the same nowadays "Brand new sound fresh out of the streets of London. Kids working on budget technology. Anger and anxiety expressed on wax. Isn't it all ever so marvellous"

Not every person who reads Vice or this Pitchfork publication has the same sort of musical appreciation or desire to absorb information as the people who use this forum. When I first came here I thought it would be a place entirely inhabited by the sort of journalistic types I can't stand, but thankfully I haven't really seen much of it. Just music lovers willing to absorb every piece of information about this scene that they can hunt down.

But the majority of people who see Grime articles in The Guardian, Vice, ID and The Observer will probably turn it into a "Buzz Word", and buzz words hold no longevity. I've already seen UK Garage self destruct due to egos and a passing media interest in the sound, I'd be most disappointed to see it happen again to this.

Last edited:

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Logan Sama said:
This is why I have a distaste for CERTAIN journalists and publications attempting to cover our music. It comes across as some sort of liberal feel good story. The music receives rave reviews because that appears to be the in thing to do, rather than it being the honest opinion of the writer. And while that is all well and good today, when tomorrow comes and Grime has outlived its novelty and a new sound of the moment has been championed by some mop haired middle aged writer in Shoreditch, where does that leave the music that some of us actually put a lot of work in to make and sell?

Ah, but this is now the accepted journalistic template. Young black men (and some white and mixed-race ones) + cheap production gear + council estates + tracksuits + funny slang = AVANT-GARDE MUSIC SHOCKA

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Logan Sama said:
Just music lovers willing to absorb every piece of information about this scene that they can hunt down

Nice. Trust me, it can be hard from this distance. I gotta get over to London some time in the next year or so, and go mental.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Pearsall said:
Ah, but this is now the accepted journalistic template. Young black men (and some white and mixed-race ones) + cheap production gear + council estates + tracksuits + funny slang = AVANT-GARDE MUSIC SHOCKA

You are forgetting that most of their reviews are still firmly in white college boy indie rock territory.