JONATHAN LETHEM anyone?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I really, really dug AMNESIA MOON which is like a Jeter/PKD sci-fi cyberpunk novel with some weird reality shifts, and also dug GIRL In LANDSCAPE..I am currently reading THE FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE which is pretty good, but feels too much like a fucken Spike Lee movie put to a book - it's so self-aware of its NYC-Yankee hipsterness, that I can't decide if it's great or totally pretentious self-important cuck.

Lethem has a big following with the Villgae Voice/Salon Northwest/SF hipster American set, which is a curse more than anything. He writes with a real lucid but try tone.

His stuff is good, I just wish he's write freakier experimental novels in his older age, rather than all this earnest fucken lefty lit fodder.

jd_

Did you read Gun With Occasional Music? I have that one but I'm afraid to read it I think.

ripley

Did you read Gun With Occasional Music? I have that one but I'm afraid to read it I think.

I read it and thought it was good fun. Don't fear! esp. if you like Philip K Dick.
I'm quite fond of Motherless Brooklyn as well, although it's pretty different. I love the pulp influence though.

And of course, I also love his essay in Harper's: The Ecstasy of Influence