Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ableton tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by wonk_vitesse View Post
    i think it's 2 totally different attitudes to material, neither are better than each other, they're just different. It depends whether you want the material to do the talking or let your tweaking/editing make something new.

Personally i spend far too much time behind a computer and don't want to do that when playing/djing live. I'd much rather get in a mess with a load of record sleeves than glumly sitting behind my laptop.
    You can do both in Ableton but hey each to their own

to put it simply, and i think this applies to everything, you just gotta do the most with whacha got. and you gotta use what you have in it's own unique ways, exploiting the advantages that it has, and never try to use one system to try to do things like with another. so comparisons with turntables are pointless, it's like "yeah taking the tube is fast, but honestly i miss talking to my horse on long journeys"

i've incidentally just spent the past week or 2 in ableton (and my weed pipe but that's another story), and the majority of the new mix consist of mashups... South African Gospel singers with grime instrumentals for instance. i think it's very special. can't wait to share with the board

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Dust View Post
    Use Simpler and the little midi keyboard to draw your patterns.
    Thanks - this seems to work. Was using mouse rather than keyboard to input patterns before.

Avoid MP3's, use aiff or wavs because Ableton can't play MP3's - what it actually does is convert (badly) to a cache and then plays them from there - which is pretty close to pointless.

Other tips, turn of everything you don't need, including wireless.

Buffers should be set to 512.

Make sure your disk isn't fragmented.

Get a faster hard disk (7200rpm) and as much ram as possible.

That's weird with the mp3s. Thank for the tips, I'll have another go.

I don't understand this at all, you can do tons of stuff you can't do on Technics with Ableton in second, I'm busy with a remix/edit at the mo - you can't do that shit on the fly with wax.
    Yeah totally - Ableton is great for creating mixes with edits and effects, and for doing a studio based mix I use it all the time.

It's more to do with digital files - folders full of music, whether alphabetical or by genre, I find really hard to look through to come up with the next track etc. Physical records, that you can flick through, is much more inspiring/fun. I also find I get a subconscious map of where things are around me - flicking through you mentally note something to be played later.

*shrug* maybe it's just me.

RE mp3s - I've never had a problem using mp3s in the mix with ableton. wavs obviously give you better quality, but I've never had the sort of processor issues that Pestario mentions

Default Ableton workshop

At Cargo, on the 24th, free...

http://www.cargo-london.com/event/ableton-live-workshop

Run by Pitch Black, who I'm not a massive fan of... could be useful though?

There's a good talk here from Robert Henke (Ableton / Monolake) mostly about how he uses Live in his live sets, not so much about DJing but it all ties in. Worth watching if you have the time.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...04795361152922

Quote Originally Posted by noel emits View Post
    There's a good talk here from Robert Henke (Ableton / Monolake) mostly about how he uses Live in his live sets, not so much about DJing but it all ties in. Worth watching if you have the time.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...04795361152922
    Great video that.

after rendering out a mix i noticed that one track sounds total shit because ableton can not handle a -15 shift. there must be a way or some tool i can use to slow down the track without losing resolution and then bring it back into ableton? any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    after rendering out a mix i noticed that one track sounds total shit because ableton can not handle a -15 shift. there must be a way or some tool i can use to slow down the track without losing resolution and then bring it back into ableton? any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

have you tried changing the repitch on the clip to complex?

Quote Originally Posted by straight View Post
    have you tried changing the repitch on the clip to complex?
    dude thank you so much! i forgot all about that! totally worked!!!!!! it will be ready and up soon

Quote Originally Posted by nomos View Post
    i wouldn't give up my turntables for it,
    hahaha. and then i did just that about two months later (for the time being anyway)
    BOOK: sound/bodies // paul.autonomic »» deeptime.net

Quote Originally Posted by nomos View Post
    hahaha. and then i did just that about two months later (for the time being anyway)
    the times they are a-changin