Making big prints from classic music photos

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
I've just moved into my new studio space and I want some A1 blow up photos of my favorite boffins so they can watch over my twiddling like some quasi-catholic iconogrophy kind of thing.

Specifically this pic:

martH.jpg

... and this one.

king-tubby-dub.jpg

Anything I scan or take from the net will look shite when blown up that big. Is there any way of licensing or acquiring bromide copies to make poters from? How do magazines and print media get hold of old photos and such like?

Cheers

Magazines and the like will have subrscription access to photo libraries innit, though nowadays you often see stuff that is clearly ripped off the web at shocking quality...if you know someone who screenprints i'd halftone them and blow them up that way, cheaper and can look ok ...top one's halftoned already...a1 photographic prints are very expensive even if you can get a negative scan...

reeltoreel

That King Tubby photo is ace. If I ever build amps, they're definitely going to be lovingly polished to a high shine...

michael

Bring out the vacuum
The lamely named free software Rasterbator takes a pic and blows it up as however many rasterised sheets of A4 you request... Raster as in like old newspaper printing - re-assembling things out of a bunch of dots.

http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

It's undoubtedly not going to catch the loveliness of those pics quite right, but it's a free way to make really big things that do look quite great from a distance, as you can see in the image gallery.

2452de9.jpg

or if you manage to find good quality originals and want to do photo prints

then look at getting them done online - bonusprint.com or something like that will be at least 1/3 the price of high street printing.

i doubt you will ever get the photos looking very crisp though unless you somehow get hold of the originals.

do you know who took the photos? if they are famous/semi famous, chances are that their work will be in a photo archive like getty images or something. you could then go to the archive to license the image. or in the incredible digital age, it may even be possible to get into contact with the photographer, you never know.