Worst Film You've Ever Seen

IdleRich

IdleRich
Already had some suggestions from the "not recommended" thread. Off the top of my head I would suggest Good Will Hunting but I reckon with a bit more thought I can think of some real stinkers.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Also mentioned so far: The Green Mile, AI, Meet Joe Black, Dragon Wars, The Happening and Fever.
The only one I've seen out of that little lot is AI, and I concur, it was fucking shite.

hucks

Your Message Here
Lord of the Rings 2 (Twin Towers or whatever) - I haven't seen the first one but I refuse to believe it would have made any difference. Boring boring boring.

Kill Bill 2. I had seen, and quite enjoyed, the first one, but this was almost impossible to sit through. It's a bit taboo, I find, when your watching a dvd with other people to bring up the fact that what you are watching is utterly terrible. When it finished we all agreed it was rubbish though, so it was a bit "Why didn't you say something earlier?"

vimothy

yurp
Star Wars 1 (or 4 or whatever the fuck it is). Very bad film. But, as with LOTR, I tend to have lower expectations for films like this, so I didn't find it (or LOTR) as offensive as, say, The Green Mile, which some of my friends got quite excited about.

straight

wings cru
Eastern promises is by far the worst film ive seen recently. Managed to start reasonably making london look like budapest (is that blackfriars bridge thats travelled over at the start?) but what a mess. nice poofy fight at the end though.

Last edited:

Immryr

the shawshank redemption!

i hate everything about this film, but most of all the way it is held up by so many people in such great esteem. how many times have we all heard something like "well i'm not much of a film buff....... but obviously there is the shawshank redemption, now there's a great film"

fuck off.

i liked LOTR2 though :]

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Good Will Hunting - as I remember, the most gratuitous introduction of child abuse into a character's history as 'motivation'. Worse than that, it starred Robin Williams.

Sleepy Hollow deserves a mention for achieving so little with a fairly stellar cast.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Off the top of my head, an absolute stinker par excellence was Alec Baldwin's sub-Indy 1930s supernatural shitfest The Shadow. Heard of it? Thought not.
There's Showgirls, of course, which does at least have the redeeming feature of the most unintentionally hilarious sex scene in cinema history (the infamous 'pool fuck'). Star Wars eps. I and II were lame beyond belief (to be fair, so was ep III, bar the light-sabre action, which mercifully accounted for most of the film). The second Jurassic Park film was pretty shite, too.

I've not seen Juno, but everything I've heard about it makes it sound like the worst piece of buttbarf ever committed to celluloid. I could be wrong, of course, but I'm not willing to risk it.

john eden

male pale and stale
I can't remember the name of it but I was on an 18 hour flight and some Julia Roberts monstrosity came on about her best friend getting married or something and she falls in love with the wrong guy.

It was excruciatingly awful and I will usually watch any old shite quite happily.

Honorary mention:

A film I saw at the Scala called "The Claw" or something, which basically features about 45 minutes of two people walking through a wood, 2 minutes of them having sex and then about ten minutes of blood fest whilst they are attacked by... (can you guess?)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A film I saw at the Scala called "The Claw" or something, which basically features about 45 minutes of two people walking through a wood, 2 minutes of them having sex and then about ten minutes of blood fest whilst they are attacked by... (can you guess?)

...a crazed WW2 veteran who was the result of an early bionics experiment gone wrong, abandoned by his parents and brought up by a wise old Chinese dude who taught him kung-fu to enable him to take revenge on the drug-dealing gangsters who killed his uncle, thus enabling him to win back the love of his high-school sweetheart who left him for the big blond meathead jock character who's secretly a Nazi?

*breathes*

Well, was it?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Kill Bill 2. I had seen, and quite enjoyed, the first one, but this was almost impossible to sit through. It's a bit taboo, I find, when your watching a dvd with other people to bring up the fact that what you are watching is utterly terrible. When it finished we all agreed it was rubbish though, so it was a bit "Why didn't you say something earlier?"
That was on telly the other day. I rather like it - it's quite a different film from the first part which in a way confused me but I think that overall that was a positive. I like films with references in as well I'm afraid.

Maybe not the worst film but it's definitely the most overrated.

Showgirls is often held up as the worst film but I've never seen it all the way through so I don't feel able to comment.

A film I saw at the Scala called "The Claw" or something, which basically features about 45 minutes of two people walking through a wood, 2 minutes of them having sex and then about ten minutes of blood fest whilst they are attacked by...
Not The Blood On Satan's Claw? Plot doesn't sound the same but that is a pretty terrible film about a claw - there can't be too many of them can there?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Other perennial favourites for worst of all time (none of which I've seen) are: Plan 9 From Outer Space, Gigli, Battlefield Earth - do they deserve their reputations? Can Ed Wood really be worse than Doris Wishman? The films by her I've seen barely qualify as films

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Wishman

I'm interested in Heaven's Gate - I've heard people say that that is actually pretty good and that it's reputation (as the ultimate stinker) is unfairly inflated as it was so over budget that it destroyed United Artists.

Anyone ever seen Deafula? It may not be the worst film ever but surely it's the worst ever premise (a deaf vampire obviously).

viktorvaughn

i hate everything about this film, but most of all the way it is held up by so many people in such great esteem. how many times have we all heard something like "well i'm not much of a film buff....... but obviously there is the shawshank redemption, now there's a great film"

fuck off.

i liked LOTR2 though :]

It's really esteemed by people with a certain especially appalling middlebrow tastes (i know that sounds highly snobbish but it is my honest opinion!) It's basically a bit like the Foo Fighters.