Flying Ant Day

iKO

Wild Horses
yup flying ant day in london was definitely thursday. there were swarms of them on the british library plaza, crawling over the warm brick.

BareBones

wheezy
I was at my sister's house the other evening, having a fag on her patio, and saw this enormous beetle - literally the size of the palm of my hand - walking towards me. As it got closer the appendages on its back opened up like a transformer and fucking WINGS came out and it started flying right at me. Its wings made this terrible low hum like a V-1 rocket. I backed into the kitchen and shut the door but it didn't give up, it was thudding heavily into the little window on the door, trying to get in, and did that for about five minutes until it eventually gave up. It was fucking terrifying.

What was this thing?

BareBones

wheezy
someone must know what this is. and how we can stop it. i saw one last summer as well i think. you'll all be sorry if in a couple of years we're talking about Flying Giant Beetle Day.

We have a stag beetle in our garden, it lives in the woodpile behind the shed. Noisy fucker.

I first encountered it putting my bike away one night and it was crackling around in the sticks. So I shone my light in that direction and there it was. Enormous, angry.

A week later it flew over at dusk, chased by a crow, which sort of peeled away when it clocked what a monstrously chitinous fiend it was and left it alone. The funny thing is, they have the smallest balls of any insect.