giggs

CrowleyHead

he was always technical its just now he sounds like a square

Not the persona, the geometrical figure.

Like, Giggs is showing off technique around Diz because he knows otherwise it'd be a Lenny & George pairing. But meanwhile Dizzee has become the worst sort of mid-tempo Twista type when he's in his "I'm back on my bullshit!" mode. He probably actually says sentences like that before going into the booth.

Dizzee needs a young protege who's going to take him aside and, not write for him, but just tell him "Look, you look like an asshole all the time now." Neither Double or Footsie have the heart, brains or spine to do something like that (hell, even if they wanted to, they've kept their houses by enabling his delusions). Scrufizzer? Right now Scru is desperate to convince people he's worth looking at and doing every wrong thing to do it. He's like all the kids in my music school who learn how to play classical lute and then they're like "Well, uh, someone will appreciate me if I learn how to play this One Direction song in a baroque style right?"

Giggs is now in a nice moment where he doesn't have to worry about shit. Radio has made him the 'king' of his genre because his only commercial competition were Sneakbo and K Koke. The former is chasing Pitbull money and the latter was a joke and deserved that Roc Nation deal to fuck him up. I mean, there's also Fekky but... That dude is not going to last as far as I can see.

Giggs is going to sell out calmly and with grace. Doing comedy sketches and guest appearances on stuff. Big "Social Positivity/Together, We Can Change" song verses. He's going to be good even if his 'moment' is essentially over. He's single handedly made British rap secure though, so he's good.

rubberdingyrapids

im not saying giggs is a copy, like some london guerilla black to jeezy's biggie, but that its pretty hard to not think jeezy had some bearing n giggs back then. anyone into hip hop around that time could make that connection. anyway, that was a long time ago, like i said, giggs sounds diff now to when i last checked his music.

luka

I've listened to enough old-skool grime to not be too phased by the gang stuff, but at the same time I'm not sure the GBP is really ready for London-based gangster rap.

Also the slight issue that he can't fucking rap and sounds ridiculous.

― Matt DC, Wednesday, 9 June 2010 10:02 (4 years ago) Permalink

Why does the UK need "proper thug rap"?

― Matt DC, Wednesday, 9 June 2010 10:07 (4 years ago) Permalink

matt dc spot on throughout

― r|t|c, Wednesday, 9 June 2010 10:38 (4 years ago) Permalink

so now we need rappers to talk so slowly theyre basically rapping like alkies?

― truffle-flavoured french fry (titchyschneiderMk2), Friday, 11 June 2010 00:15 (4 years ago) Permalink

rubberdingyrapids

what happened with giggs' XL deal? its funny how they dont seem to hang on to MCs at that label (i know dizzee managed 3 albums but i think they werent even that keen on the direction of the 3rd one IIRC). be interested to see how far novelist stays there.

CrowleyHead

Apparently Trident actually called up XL after they signed Giggs and "warned them" about him according to him. They're still distributing his work though so I imagine they're not that affected.

CrowleyHead

this whole side of skepta really annoys me - from the OG'z to cemetary warriors to wearing my rolex to giggs now, it seems like nothing can get any hype in grime without him insisting on getting involved via proxy.

don't mind me i'm just moaning :eek:

Pulled this up and I'm crying. 2008!!!!!! NOTHING CHANGES.

Y'all on that island are truly lucky to have Giggs, you don't even realize. Much as I can't enjoy a lot of his current stuff.

CrowleyHead

I gave Giggs a chance. Listened to the album once, went back to a few tracks a couple of times after, and finally came to the conclusion that no one (not just us) is going to give a fuck about this guy in 2 years tops. Sort of an endearing aesthetic, but not enough I think to hide for a substantial amount of time that when it comes down to it, this guy is just utter shite.

Also living for a Big H fanboy saying this.