giggs

luka

ach! is an edmonton boy. i wasn't just talking about the fact that giggs is from peckham though but that he is part of a gang from peckham that is very famous in london.
i like that giggs album, i think it is better than any grime album ever even though as an mc there are millions of grime mcs who are better than him if you follow me.

mms

sometimes
he's not a great mc and it's not very exciting musically, the other tracks and the stuff with him and dubs on westwood aren't exciting either. maybe it's just something like grime's pace and energy and cos it comes out of garage that makes it more exciting than this, the fact that it doesn't sound derivative of something from the states.
Apart from all that late 80's hardcore hip hop and interesting stuff like syndicut from the late 80's early 90's from the uk and a few exceptions, i'd rather listen to the americans.

luka

its true hes not a great mc. some of the beats on his album are too tricky for him to ride. hes one dimensional.. everyone here slags off kano but that boy can ride any beat at any tempo no matter how fucked and has been abloe to since he was 13 or somehting. same with dizzee. giggs doesn't have that talent. but, for some weird reason, i find the music compelling. i can't explain it.

its true hes not a great mc. some of the beats on his album are too tricky for him to ride. hes one dimensional.. everyone here slags off kano but that boy can ride any beat at any tempo no matter how fucked and has been abloe to since he was 13 or somehting. same with dizzee. giggs doesn't have that talent. but, for some weird reason, i find the music compelling. i can't explain it.

I'd agree with this completely. There's nothing in what he does that shows great ability etc, but there's just SOMETHING. It's a cliché to fall back onto the terminology of realness etc, but that's how i've made sense of it in my head.

mms

sometimes
I'd agree with this completely. There's nothing in what he does that shows great ability etc, but there's just SOMETHING. It's a cliché to fall back onto the terminology of realness etc, but that's how i've made sense of it in my head.

just sounds like he's describing some things that involve using or having a gun to me, mundane fairly miserable threats dealt with, people attacked.

hint

party record with a siren
just sounds like he's describing some things that involve using or having a gun to me, mundane fairly miserable threats dealt with, people attacked.

I agree. I really don't see the appeal of this, on any level.

Algierstwin

definitely struggling seeing anything good here.

i think the fact he is different is potentially his only selling point.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
No changing opinions I guess. I hated it till I played it in the car tbh.

I don't think it's that bad, if anything it's a few days late and a few dollars short...it would have been more relevant in 2000 or maybe a little earlier. It's very middling post-NWA sounding...

Popular hip-hop in the U.S. now is for the most part about production values and beats, MCing is not the biggest deal anymore (with a few notable exceptions like Lupe Fiasco who is both talented and popular)...

But don't listen to me, I like Mims and Rocko...

In what way are guns and gang talk not also a part of US hip-hop? I'm confused.

in the same way that grime isnt hip hop

i get what blackdown is saying, i think gigs picks up on the grime audience/tagline by association, the people who listen to gigs are likely to listen to grime aswell i.e. this hasnt emerged out of the uk hip hop scene, its underground in the same way grime is without being grime

an odd mix, but i quite like it - im not sure whether i like him or the hype around him more...

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
like slack says, no changing minds, but i really like his flow. He's got presence and charisma. His bars aren't jaw droppingly technical or anything, but they're assured and they've got a brilliant smoked out nonchalance and he's a good judge of pacing.

I quite like the beats on that ard bodied mixtape too really.

mms

sometimes
like slack says, no changing minds, but i really like his flow. He's got presence and charisma. His bars aren't jaw droppingly technical or anything, but they're assured and they've got a brilliant smoked out nonchalance and he's a good judge of pacing.

i really can't even get that excited, i don't hear flow or charisma, nonchalace yes.