giggs

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
this ny times article seems a little like it's straining for a story. yeah no one made as much money as they *wanted to* on like 50 cent's new album, but, ehh anyone could've predicted that--he's old news. it seems to be favoring artists who were big several years ago over other more popular artists like sean kingston and t-pain and such, too.

regardless of whether hip-hop sales dipped a few months ago (this article is not five years old, it's not even a year old), it's still a major force in the industry. this is not up for debate.

well i loved "Flashing Lights" that song was great, "Low", "Cyclone", "Lollipop", "Superstar", "Black Mags", "Getting It", Mickey Factz is kinda cool

how long do you have

Last edited:

luka

sean kingston and tpain sing
i'd insist on some kind of demarcation between hip-hop and r&b

nomadthethird

sean kingston and t-pain are featured in tons of hip-hop songs, and i think that they're more of a pop hybrid between hip-hop and r&b

lloyd is more straight r&b, so is chris brown though he's featured on some hip-hop songs too

luka

ok fine, lets just say theres a significant section of the hip-hop audience that don't want to hear a pop hybrid between hip-hop and r&b. so they took giggs instead. is that non-controversial enough?

nomadthethird

ok fine, lets just say theres a significant section of the hip-hop audience that don't want to hear a pop hybrid between hip-hop and r&b. so they took giggs instead. is that non-controversial enough?

yup that makes sense

luka

good. another way of expressing the same thing would be to say people are looking for a feeling. you need that feeling like its a drug. where you going to find that feeling? the us market doesn't manufacture that drug anymore. the songs you mentioned are fantastic examples of that. which is not to say they're bad songs per se.

There's a certain merit to regionalism when taking all this in as well though. As much as it hasn't completely eliminated people listening to American hip-hop, there's certainly an underground mixtape scene here of which Giggs is simply the tip of the iceberg.

I wouldn't even necessarily view it as closing a gap, more just the fact that people would rather hear shit that comes from their own area in their own mindset & vernacular than something a continent away.

Tempman, Dubz, Young Spray, Kyzer, all the PDC crew, for the bait names; there's a lot of this stuff.

nomadthethird

There's a certain merit to regionalism when taking all this in as well though. As much as it hasn't completely eliminated people listening to American hip-hop, there's certainly an underground mixtape scene here of which Giggs is simply the tip of the iceberg.

I wouldn't even necessarily view it as closing a gap, more just the fact that people would rather hear shit that comes from their own area in their own mindset & vernacular than something a continent away.

Tempman, Dubz, Young Spray, Kyzer, all the PDC crew, for the bait names; there's a lot of this stuff.

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense too, as does the "feeling" idea--I'd also look to certain indicators like drug culture at large. For example, isn't crack making quite a big splash on the UK scene in the past certain number of years? A lot of younger people in the U.S. think of crunk music as the original "crack music" but others would have identified 90s hip-hop as the peak in dirty, raw, crack-tinged ganstery rap. Seems like socio-economic conditions have a lot to do with what "feeling" people are looking for, right?

luka

g force are on lord of the mics 1, have you got that?

thats the only thing i own of theirs and its at my mums.

nomad, umm, crack....
i dunno what the figures are. i'd be suprised if theres much more about now than there was 10 years ago. seems to be on an eternal plataeu.
until i left the country i couldn't leave the house without seeing a few crackheads, but they were the same crackheads every time. every place has their little crackhead community but it never seems to grow much. thats my anecdotal evidence. you can buy real cocaine easily and relatively cheaply so why be a crackhead?

i'd agree socio-economic conditions play a part in what 'feeling' people crave. but i'd tread carefully, not wanting to be too pat about it.
i think its a fascinating thing to specualte about though.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

I mean that in the U.S. crack hit hard in the 80s, and had changed the landscape of the "hood" entirely by the 90s. U.S. hip-hop takes this up as a subject often, especially in the late 80s to mid 90s. Larger economic concerns (such as recession) and their effects in turn upon the popularity of crack (seen as a form of social control perpetrated on ghettos by the invisible hands of government) were reflected in the dirty, gritty, angry, sonics of hip-hop at the time (and grunge/alt rock!)

I have read that crack began an ascent to wider popularity on the streets of London and other U.K. cities over the past 10-15 years or so. Maybe this is an exaggeration of facts? I wouldn't know.

Last edited:
Fuck, haven't listened to that for ages, don't even remember them on it.

I'm going to go and do a bit of hunting for some more of them you know. Got to wait for this wash to finish anyway.

right, i found their myspace;
http://www.myspace.com/gforcecamp

and that they've got a CD out, "No Mersh";
http://www.ukrecordshop.com/item/g-force-camp-no-mersh.html

Which looks FUCKED but there's none in stock. You can buy it through their myspace on paypal in theory but fuck that because I don't trust it.

Look at this tracklisting though;
1. No Mersh Feat. Biggaman
2. Deep Inside Feat. Jammer
3. Da Surroundings Feat. D.Double
4. Studio Gangstas Feat Lewi White, Kaoz & Siryus
5. Hope For Tomorrow Feat Lewi White
6. Its On Top Now Feat Davinche
7. Hip Hop Era Feat Lewi White & Kaoz
8. G.F.C Feat. Lewi White, Kaoz & Siryus
9. Future Like PS3 Feat Lewi White
10. Stand Back Fake Niggaz Feat Lewi White & Kaoz
11. The Theme Feat Smasher & Lewi White
12. Future Of Hip Hop Feat Lewi White
13. Cock Back Feat Lewi White, Spider & Esco
14. Force Combined Feat. Lewi White and Trouble-shooters
15. When I Say Feat Lewi White & Biggaman
16 Grimey Season Feat Lewi White
17. G.F.O.R.C.E Feat Lewi White
18. Real Niggas Doin Real Things Feat Klashnekoff

Looking for a download now.

I have read that crack began an ascent to wider popularity on the streets of London and other U.K. cities over the past 10-15 years or so. Maybe this is an exaggeration of facts? I wouldn't know.

It has, yes, but I don't really see the correlation in terms of the popularity of that to a burgeoning South London rap scene that's been hanging around for ages.

luka

oh, good work slakk, i remember seeing posters for no mersh in the windows of laundrettes and so on on woodgrange road im sure.... meaning it must be a few years old. lets have a look at this myspace now...

is dj samurai still on deja?