Page 34 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast
Results 496 to 510 of 2007

Thread: Pointless But It Makes Me Chuckle to Myself

  1. #496
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    the commentator on the spurs match last night said, 'An historic moment for tottenham'

    and I know he said AN, because i re-wound it about 4 times to check

    edit* surprise surprise though it is ITV
    I hate that, it sounds so pretentious, like something someone would say to try and given the impression of being 'educated'.

    (saying "an historic...", I mean, not watching a Spurs match)
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  2. #497
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    2,662

    Default

    Oh come on, saying "an historic" is perfectly fine and necessary if you don't pronounce the 'h'. Surely being careful with your diction is less pretentious than contributing daily to an internet message board that specializes in solipsism, modern philosophy and over-arching theories about the development of boutique UK dance music genres?

  3. #498
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,865

    Default

    I just can't stand that American thing of missing the H off a word (to sound French?), so you get the awful erbal (and not in the Rasta sense) for herbal. I've even heard uman for human, I mean what the fuck?

    Yeahyeahyeah, it's pedantic and pointless. But it Does My Head In (should be in the other thread, clearly).

    Edit: I guess if you're not pronouncing the H, "an [h]istoric..." is fine, but in Britain you sometimes hear it with the H pronounced, which sounds very ugly indeed. You wouldn't ask for "an half" of something or talk about "an house" record, would you?
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 26-08-2010 at 03:10 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  4. #499
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    504

    Default

    I think the correct indefinite article for 'ouse in "bangin". Confusing for non-native speakers I would imagine.

  5. #500
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Edit: I guess if you're not pronouncing the H, "an [h]istoric..." is fine, but in Britain you sometimes hear it with the H pronounced, which sounds very ugly indeed. You wouldn't ask for "an half" of something or talk about "an house" record, would you?
    exactly.

  6. #501
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,865

    Default

    I saw some stills from this video:



    in the Metro this morning and almost lost control of my bladder laughing - until I realised it wasn't actually a vigilante revenge attack on the same woman.

    Still pretty funny though.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  7. #502

    Default

    This week, Bono described their last album as “not very accessible, lyrically or musically”.



    ..............

  8. #503
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South East London
    Posts
    1,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    I saw some stills from this video:

    in the Metro this morning and almost lost control of my bladder laughing - until I realised it wasn't actually a vigilante revenge attack on the same woman.

    Still pretty funny though.
    http://twitter.com/catbinlady

    "It means I'll have to carry the bags most of the way home, but this trolley's going in the canal."

  9. #504
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Merseyside
    Posts
    3,546

    Default



    Just want to chill with my ant bros.

  10. #505
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Right-clicking on a web page using Firefox and seeing "Forward" and "Reload"

  11. #506
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,621

    Default

    ^ ha ha ha

    There's a version in beta that has "pull up dat" as well.

    Normally makes me chuckle to myself but won't this time because I'm going to be away - watching facebook during tube strikes and seeing nominally left wing london friends displaying a peculiar lack of solidarity with The Workers.

  12. #507

  13. #508
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop View Post
    Normally makes me chuckle to myself but won't this time because I'm going to be away - watching facebook during tube strikes and seeing nominally left wing london friends displaying a peculiar lack of solidarity with The Workers.
    I don't think being left-wing necessarily has any correlation with supporting tube strikes...
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  14. #509
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,865

    Default

    The name of the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons - yes, that's right, BAAPS.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  15. #510
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    I don't think being left-wing necessarily has any correlation with supporting tube strikes...
    yeah far too many champagne socialists display their true colours if you inconvenience them even a tiny bit, in my experience.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •