Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
milosovik.jpg

zhao

there are no accidents
German release of Woody Allen's 1977 "Annie Hall" has the title "DER STADTNEUROTIKER"

edit: OMG put that in google translate as it is, with no space between STADT and NEUROTIKER.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Those are brilliant but I feel compelled to point out that Steven Seagal 'starred' in a film a few years ago titled Half Past Dead - and that's the English-language original. Can't imagine anyone bothering to translate it, to be honest.

Surely the Chinese interpretation of Revenge of the Sith - "Backstroke of the West" - gets an honourable mention?

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

guardian comments generator -
http://www.tomforth.co.uk/guardiancomments/

Fighting the cuts, Hampstead.

14 February, 2013

Collecting my oak-smoked Salmon and dry-cured Trout direct from the smokehouse led me to a fascinating chat with the proprietor this afternoon. Soil depletion is really just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the challenges faced by African peasant farmers today. But that's just what we get when we continue to measure economic growth through GDP rather than focusing on freedom of expression and sustainability.

Old Jokes Home:
A horse walks into a bar.

The barman says, "Sorry we
don't serve food."

(from popbitch)

Leo

i'm full of pointless things that make me chuckle lately...

lou reed guest DJs on WPIX in NYC, 1979

zhao

there are no accidents
i'm not sure i believe all of these, but still funny

speaking as a chinese person, i wouldn't be surprised if they are all real. don't forget you can fit some of those long english sentences into 4 neat chinese characters - and in Chinese might not sound ridiculous.

IdleRich

IdleRich
To be fair a lot of the English names are pretty stupid. How do you translate Reality Bites or whatever and keep the meaning whatever it is?

Leo

this fascinates me: 40,000 separate videos, 175 million views in less than two weeks.

the man behind the harlem shake
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/02/17/meet-baauer-the-man-behind-the-harlem-shake.html

The “Harlem Shake” videos, meanwhile, have totaled over 175 million YouTube views and counting. And, according to Billboard, Baauer and the label that put out the track, Mad Decent, stand to make quite a pretty penny with it since they, through various deals, will collect revenues for each and every one of these YouTube views.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
To be fair a lot of the English names are pretty stupid. How do you translate Reality Bites or whatever and keep the meaning whatever it is?

That reminds of something funny I saw a couple of years ago - some pretend-French snack product from a UK or US company that had used French (or rather Franglais) in the advert, including the phrase "une bite", which my French housemate and I had a good laugh over ("bite" being French for "dick").