Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your social self

Default Your social self

Do you have a natural unaffected social self or is it an elaborate facade?

depends with whom i am and where i am. i work in an office 8 hours a day, i don't think anyone can be their selves in such an environment, one of the reasons that makes it hell.

It amazes me you work in an office

i'm a social chameleon in all the ways that make people think i'm disingenuous and honest in all the ways that alienate and upset people.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

I think so, although I have some mates I can be sillier with and some I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes View Post
    I find that often the cleverer you get, the more likely you are to become detached from your feelings, start to see life as a game to play at the expense of others, whether for entertainment, gain or status.
    /

If I was cleverer would have learned to play it for gain or status.

I'd imagine we all have a facade, to varying degrees. seems to diminish as you get older, you either settle in with like types (and thus don't need to project) or just no longer give a shit how you're perceived. we all care how we come off, but it's possible to care very little.

That patty cakes quote is it really. Itís always a game for me. I donít have real friendships. Iím incredibly condescending to everyone else and this feel Iím too smart to engage with them honestly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

If you don't want to get treated like a freak you have to hide and if you're going to have to hide might as well make it fun

I can veer from being incredibly boisterous to incredibly mellow. I'm at my worst/most boisterous with my brother. One time on his birthday we ended up shooting each other in the face with a fire extinguisher, I stapled a beer can to his head and he nearly broke my leg with a golf club.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

My teen years were spent with people from such a different class background from me that manufacturing faux-common ground was a necessity.

Iím not very good with middle class people now though. I have these very fractious working relationship with them. One accused me of sexually assaulting a disabled person last week.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    I can veer from being incredibly boisterous to incredibly mellow. I'm at my worst/most boisterous with my brother. One time on his birthday we ended up shooting each other in the face with a fire extinguisher, I stapled a beer can to his head and he nearly broke my leg with a golf club.
    I have never partaken in these kind of shenanigans