Culinary Mashups

straight

wings cru
Chicken on pizza is an abomination, it ends up all dry and yuk.

Ham (eg. prosciutto), bacon and dry-cured pork sausage (salami, pepperoni, kabanos etc.) are the only meats that belong on a pizza, in my book.

any cured meats are the way to go. had an anchovie and pepperoni one from papa dels on archway rd (£3 after 9!) after my gig last night, absolute yum up.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
any cured meats are the way to go. had an anchovie and pepperoni one from papa dels on archway rd (£3 after 9!) after my gig last night, absolute yum up.

There's a Turkish bakery just opposite the tube station there that does, or did, lahmacun (thin Turkish pizza) wrapped up in a roll with salad inside for all of a quid. I virtually lived on those things when I lived around there.

The spicy minced lamb you get on lahmacun is definitely an 'allowed' topping, although they're not really proper pizzas. So it doesn't strictly violate the no-non-cured-meats rule. ;)

viktorvaughn

There's a Turkish bakery just opposite the tube station there that does, or did, lahmacun (thin Turkish pizza) wrapped up in a roll with salad inside for all of a quid. I virtually lived on those things when I lived around there.

The spicy minced lamb you get on lahmacun is definitely an 'allowed' topping, although they're not really proper pizzas. So it doesn't strictly violate the no-non-cured-meats rule. ;)

Mangal Pide on Kingsland Rd does well nice lahmacun as well as the proper filling pide with nice toppings for around £5.

straight

wings cru
yeah, ive lucked out finding a massive house 5 mins other side of haringey station, ive not eaten so much fresh food in my life. hold tight 3 corn cobs for a quid.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
I really, really miss Green Lanes. :(

The Antepliler Pide place on Green Lanes is by far the best for this kind of thing. Lahmachun are good from most places, they're difficult to mess up, and are among the most awesome foods ever created. They taste great, are dirt cheap, and they're so thin that two will do for dinner but you can eat one at absolutely any time, whether particularly hungry or not.

zhao

there are no accidents
in my imagination the china/india mashup is something different from Indonesian or Thai or other SE asian flavors... but this is pure conjecture.

i would say "most" pizza is an abomination. that super thin crust kind you get in NY or NY is the grubs! unhealthy sure but i'm not on a health kick right now

slightly crooked

It's not a culinary mashup as such, but since this thread has moved into the realm of strange takeaway phenomena, may I introduce you to the parmo:

parmo.jpg

Found almost exclusively in the Teesside area, the parmo is a breaded escalope of flattened chicken (pork can be used instead) smothered in Bechamel sauce, topped with cheese (originally Parmesan - hence the name - now usually suspiciously orange Cheddar) and cooked in a pizza oven. Generally it's served with chips, although you'll sometimes get some salad on the side.

Being Teessside's sole contribution to world cuisine, the parmo is a bit of a badge of pride for the area, with one of the local councils organising a World Parmo Championships.

Actually, they're surprisingly good after a few beers...

mos dan

fact music
mmm, an onion favourite that one :)

i could really go for an i-hop breakfast right now. or waffle house hash browns 'all the way':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle_House
The waitresses use diner lingo to call in orders, and the menu suggests the use of the same lingo when placing orders for hashed brown potatoes: "scattered" (spread on the grill), "smothered" (with onions), "covered" (with cheese), "chunked" (with diced ham), "diced" (with diced tomatoes), "peppered" (with jalapeño peppers), "capped" (with mushrooms), "topped" (with chili) and "all the way" (with all available toppings)

STN

sou'wester
I reckon I have eaten breakfast at Denny's more times than anyone in the world and by god is it shit.