Dan Rhodes

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Just wondering if any other Dissensians are admirers of the mighty Mr Rhodes? His style has the deceptive spareness and magical quality of the best fairy tales, and yet under the surface lies such hearfelt coverage of raw emotional themes. To me it's the perfect antidote to the frequent bombast and self-regard of so many 'serious' contemporary novels - proving that you don't have to announce yourself as 'serious' in order to tackle the most profound themes effectively.

http://www.danrhodes.co.uk/isdislikedby.html

And this, is hysterical.

crackerjack

Never heard of Rhodes, but like this:

We’ll wind things up with the almost unbelievable words of Lloyd Evans of The Daily Telegraph. Lloyd Evans clearly needs to Get With The Programme in the taste department, but that isn’t all. He also needs to ask himself whether he is up to the job:

“Would a half-Japanese thirtysomething lesbian really spend her summers wandering into pubs in Pembrokeshire..?”

Obviously lesbians spend all their time buying dungarees and working for big-city councils and would never be seen in smalltown pubs? Someone needs to take this man to Hebden Bridge.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
“Would a half-Japanese thirtysomething lesbian really spend her summers wandering into pubs in Pembrokeshire..?”

But it's a question I have often asked myself.

This is my favourite:

The last word must surely go to the Reader from Marysville, Washington who wrote on Amazon.com that, "After reading this book I stuffed it in the toilet then tore it into pieces."

crackerjack

But it's a question I have often asked myself.

This is my favourite:

The last word must surely go to the Reader from Marysville, Washington who wrote on Amazon.com that, "After reading this book I stuffed it in the toilet then tore it into pieces."

Strange way round to do things. As someone once said of Philip Larkin, I'd like to meet him but i'd hate to shake his hand.