The belated R Kelly thread...

Benny Bunter

It appears there has never been a thread about R Kelly on dissensus before and it bothers me. There's certainly a lot to talk about! ;)

Just recently acquired the entire discography of R Kelly and have been working my way through it with much pleasure. Faves so far include:

Get up on a room

Chocolate factory (the song and the album)

Make up to break up feat. Jay-Z

Ignition remix (obviously)

I like the crotch on you (!!!)

Bump n grind

...but there's lots more. A year ago I was mocking R Kelly and now I think his music's great. His lyrics are just so funny and ridiculous, but he still manages to sound heartfelt somehow. And then of course the recent court case...:slanted:

Anyway, please go ahead and discuss the man and his work before I embarrass myself any further

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
No no, you are totally OTM.

And, never mind the music...

Have you seen the two dvd's of Trapped In The Closet his Hip Hopera?

It is pure weirded-out genius- genuinely hilarious, surprising and (at the end of dvd 2) shockingly poignant.

i was in the same boat as you- totally taking the piss and then my wife played me Chocolate Factory (Same Girl is so funny, such a riot) and then we both saw Trapped...

Seriously, everybody on Dissensus has to see this.

STN

sou'wester
it's all about Your Body is Callin' and A Woman's Threat. Wicked, wicked stuff.

gumdrops

no no NO, its all about....

your bodys calling (and the remix), are you ready, sex me (lol), step in the name of love (not the remix), happy people and various songs hes done for other artists. always liked aaliyahs version of the isleys at your best you are love that he produced - not much diff from the original but i love her version anyway. some good changing faces, sparkle, MJ songs to check out too.

Benny Bunter

Yet to see all of trapped in the closet, just the first couple of episodes. Absolutely bonkers...I'll have to get around to watching the rest of these soon, I think they're all on youtube. Doesn't Bonnie Prince Billy crop up in one of them? I know he covered The world's greatest on his last album.

Anyway back to R Kelly...You heard the album he did with Jay-z, 'The best of both worlds'? Keep coming back to that one.

Amplesamples

Karaoke

R Kelly has done some wicked tunes - couple I remember back in the day were Vibe and Bump N Grind.

Did Bump N Grind at a karaoke recently, it brings the house down (the acapella beginning is so stupendous). Of course it's impossible to do without a bit of dutch courage first (or some amazing vocal talent which I don't have). People still cheer it anyway.

Happy People is a lovely track. Your Body's Calling too.

It was all about the 12 play album when I was at school.....

Trapped in the closet is amazing. Only recently realised that the cop from Trapped In The Closet is Omar Little from The Wire!!!!!

Benny Bunter

Did Bump N Grind at a karaoke recently, it brings the house down (the acapella beginning is so stupendous). Of course it's impossible to do without a bit of dutch courage first (or some amazing vocal talent which I don't have). People still cheer it anyway.

Love it!:D You're a brave man...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Sex in the kitchen
Over by the stove
Put you on the counter
By the buttered rolls

The genius is in the details.

The genius is also in doing a song where he talks about getting so drunk in the club that he throws up and then carries on drinking. Can't think of any other RNB singer that would say something like that!

Mainly the genius is in the melodies, though. I genuinely think he's amazing. There's a very strong level of appreciation which is all about how absurd he is, but it isn't just that.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
The melodies are sublime and subtle, his music these days being pretty stark and economical so everything just has its perfect place.

I know the absurdity gets bigged up but then its rare to find that level of lyrical brilliance in R&B or any form of pop music at the moment and whats more is that if you don't pay it any attention it just sounds like the usual G business. Like the man said, its in the details.

Benny Bunter

Mainly the genius is in the melodies, though. I genuinely think he's amazing. There's a very strong level of appreciation which is all about how absurd he is, but it isn't just that.

Yeah, I didn't mean this to be a guilty pleasures thread. The man's produced an amazing body of work, his tunes are mint. He's unique. Nobody on earth can do slow jams better than R Kelly.

staypuft

bwah bwah

yeah I love to bust that intro out every once in a while. rock on good sir!

DJ PIMP

Fucking and peeing on minors or not, Kells is great... Vibe, Ignition, I'm a Flirt, etc.

Love the humour and playfulness.

S

simon silverdollar

Yet to see all of trapped in the closet, just the first couple of episodes. Absolutely bonkers...I'll have to get around to watching the rest of these soon .

you really do need to check the later episodes. the bonkersness goes into completely another level- it gets so sprawling and ridiculous and then kind of collapses in on itself, with all these connections between disparate characters being drawn all at once. it's great.

r kelly is a genius in the truest sense of the word, i think.

didn't someone out of Hot Chip once run a club night that only played R Kelly songs?

it's a bit obvious, may be, but my favourite r kelly moment is the 'bouce, bounce, bounce, bounce' refrain on 'ignition'; so simple, but sublime.

luka

yeah too much r kelly hits to mention, watch as, nonchalantly, he treads the border between genius and insanity

mos dan

fact music
didn't someone out of Hot Chip once run a club night that only played R Kelly songs?

idk but hot chip used to do what seemed like mostly weirded-out amateur prince covers. i saw them supporting beans at 93ft e many many years ago and there is no *way* i'd have picked them out for success haha.

okay so, i need to know what more to get from kells. lots of individual song recommendations on here, but albums? most of the stuff i have is random recent hits with jeezy/ti/whoever... gems like 'i'm a flirt'. or if people have clips they want to put up.... this is a random one, but also one of my all-time favourite songs according to last.fm :eek: :cool:

r kelly - feeling on yr booty (jitset remix)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rzcy6t

jitset's a bit of a genius himself imo

trapped in the closet cop = omar from the wire! omg you're right!

luka

r&b and albums don't belong together....
i think someone mentioned sparkle, be careful is one of my all time favourites, such a gorgeous song...

"The Zoo" is a personal favourite. That whole last album is batshit/brilliant to be honest.

mos dan said:
r kelly - feeling on yr booty (jitset remix)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rzcy6t

YES!
Ha, used to play this out all the time before I got bored of DJing anything other than grime and stopped getting booked.

I've got a bass-heavy remix of Sex In The Kitchen that's sick as well, can't remember who did it off the top of my head. And the jungle rmx of "Body's Calling".

But, I digress. He's a don.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What does everyone think ''The Package'' is in TITC?

Me and my mate reckon it's AIDS. That way everyone is going to die, because they've all fucked each other.