Hipsters: Scourge or Irrelevence

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Hm, I'm not convinced by this. Personally I'm not too bothered what music other people consume, it's the unfriendliness/ironic detachment (in terms of personality) I've encountered in places that might be deemed 'hipsterish' that has made me have negative feelings towards them.

In fact I'm fine with the hipsters I've met who have been friendly enough, don't have any particular problem with them, it's just that they've tended to be in the minority in the places I've been to. More often I've encountered tedious oneupmanship. Which is not to say that this attitude doesn't exist elsewhere (of course it does), but that it seems very common in hipster environments. As does (blatantly) 'ironic' dancing - the sense that doing anything earnestly must be somehow uncool. And that is as damning as it gets.

But as you rightly say, doesn't apply to all hipsters/people who hang around in hipsterish places. Some are very nice people.

Last edited:

Leo

More often I've encountered tedious oneupmanship

this is the crux of it, for me. seems to surface regardless of whether the discussion is about clothes, music, films, bars, neighborhoods, whatever.

it's not so much a matter of which music, or which bar they are into...it's more the relentless insistence of letting everyone know they are one step ahead of everyone else on the topic.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched the new Simpsons episode in which hipsters take over Springfield. Some good hits landed and a few misses (or maybe that's cos it's pastiches US hipsters rather than those down the road from me, alright in my flat). I liked the West Ham banner in the hipster child's bedroom - is liking proper football a hipster thing in the states now?
Not read the article below to the bottom yet but it's got some more info on the episode I think.

http://www.flavorwire.com/354499/th...-everything-thats-wrong-with-the-simpsons-now

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
hipsters.png

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
hipsters definitely exist, but in the eye of the beholder. the concept is relative to whoever's talking about it.

hipsterfinder general is the worst witchfinder general cover band of all time

Local Authority

bitch city
That's exactly the kind of question a hipster would ask..

Don't know if that's meant to be ironic but I've always been of the stance that all of this intellectual posturing on what a hipster is and what constitutes hipsterness to be largely irrelevant. All of us possess traits which you could define as hipster, everyone who takes part in popular or sub culture are to some extent hipster by the very act of committing themselves to those things. Pop culture and sub culture are the same thing now too, as irony would have it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The unprompted thought popped into my head this morning that 'Hipsters: Scourge or Irrelevance?' would have to have a place in a hypothetical line of Dissensus T-shirts.

Any other thoughts (who was it who referred to something somebody had written the other day as 'the most Dissensus comment ever written'?)?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
The unprompted thought popped into my head this morning that 'Hipsters: Scourge or Irrelevance?' would have to have a place in a hypothetical line of Dissensus T-shirts.

Any other thoughts (who was it who referred to something somebody had written the other day as 'the most Dissensus comment ever written'?)?

I'd get
"I AM A DEFENDER OF SIMON REYNOLD'S FACE"
and possibly
"NUUM GENERAL"

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
We could make Zhao one that says "I've got any number of African T-shirts that are infintely better than this emotionally-constipated European shit." If that'd fit on a T-shirt.