Hipsters: Scourge or Irrelevence

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yes, I'm inclined to agree but I can't help thinking that he's going to bring up a whole load more of hipster hate directed at himself with this article.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Agreed. Kind of low of his ex to publicly make his internet infamy all about her, too. Bet that made him feel loads better.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
Being mocked by semi-literate morons on reddit really isn't worth getting upset, or writing a lengthy article, about. A nice piece of publicity though.

swears

preppy-kei
I divide my time between Liverpool and East London now, so from what I've observed over the last couple of years:

Most of the younger, really style conscious hipsters have gravitated towards 3 things: Wavy/streetwear styles, the 90s and sportswear in general. The sharpest looking guy I've seen recently had a perfect wedge haircut and a mint condition 90s yellow Hilfiger mountineering jacket. Lots of bucket hats, RL Polo shirts, New Balance 574s, etc. Yung Lean and his crew are a good example of this:

x5WwHvs.png

A lot of the older guys have graduated to what you might dub #menswear. Fifty quid haircuts, double monks and tweed blazers. This is fine by me, tbh. Lawrence Schlossman is the archetypal scenester here. His "Fuck Yeah Menswear" book is essential reading, imo.

All the signifiers like scruffy beards, horn-rim glasses, fixies, organic food... that's what your mum thinks is a hipster now. I know there are still people around who look like this, but they're probably just UCL students.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I know there are still people around who look like this, but they're probably just UCL students.

Ha! I remember when I came to UCL in '99 wondering why a good third or so of the girls living in the same halls as me appeared to be Plymouth Brethren. Turned out headscarves (not in a Muslim way, more head-hankies) were the thing that term. I'd come from a pretty untrendy provincial place and was thus totally mystified.

My latest clothing purchase is a totally awesome Hawai'ian shirt (from Hawai'i).

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Round here (Cambridge) half of them seem to be wearing selfconsciously sloaney quilted barbour jackets these days. Which occasionally makes them hard to distinguish from the actual sloanies wearing unselfconsciously sloaney quilted barbour jackets.

swears

preppy-kei
Yeah, but they're not townies, they're an avant-garde rap crew who dress like townies did in about 1996.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Or is it that the most hipster thing you can do in 2014 is to look totally unlike a hipster?

comelately

Wild Horses
A lot of the older guys have graduated to what you might dub #menswear. Fifty quid haircuts, double monks and tweed blazers. This is fine by me, tbh. Lawrence Schlossman is the archetypal scenester here. His "Fuck Yeah Menswear" book is essential reading, imo.

I think double-monks are kinda done-to-death now, which I guess makes me more hipster-than-hipster. Despite being a Scot, I prefer Donegal to Harris Tweeds :)

#menswear is a lot bigger than any scene though, it's British (and American) men buying their own clothes en masse and not looking like shit. It's obviously also a reflection of casual dress codes becoming more or less the norm, despite the insistence of Mr Porter in retaining terms such as 'off-duty' and 'weekend wear'. People wear lapels and collars because they look good, not because they have to.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Am I alone in not having the foggiest what "double-monks" are? It sounds like a made-up gay sex act on urbandictionary.com.

comelately

Wild Horses
Am I alone in not having the foggiest what "double-monks" are? It sounds like a made-up gay sex act on urbandictionary.com.

shoepassion-double-monk-strap-shoe-review.jpg

Double-monk (straps)

1579037-p-2x.jpg

Single-monk (straps)

Theory states that they are a little more versatile than Oxfords/Derbys i.e. they go better with a pair of jeans, whilst still remaining suit-friendly. There's metal which arguably needs to be matched up with any belt buckle, cufflinks or, god forbid, tiebar ;-D

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Yeah, but they're not townies, they're an avant-garde rap crew who dress like townies did in about 1996."
But I think they're committed to what they're doing - they won't be jumping music style and clothing to psychedelic folk next week.