Hipsters: Scourge or Irrelevence

CrowleyHead

How many?

About somewhere between 10-20, but then the key figure is, "How many of those dudes have friends in bands coveted by Pitchfork, or who were writing for Vice, who can now tell their bosses 'No no, I was in a power violence band with him. He's cool!'?

And this is why I tend to only write about people from Atlanta or Chicago or LA now, who's fanbases mostly consist of urban teens/young adults who are native to the environment.

Because fuck subtlety, watching a true fucking idiot who knows nothing about rap and was in terrible hardcore bands, but has friends in the right places, subsequently gain fame as a 'rapper' and then witness him getting some mind-blowingly fawning praise is pretty awful. Extra salt in the wounds when someone let him write an article about the Cocteau Twins where he'd used descriptors such as "This song makes me wanna wear a suit..." Because, you see, he really needed to be allowed to say that and get that published.

-_-

IdleRich

IdleRich
Who you talking about here? Dunno which article this refers to. Something written by a late-arrival hip-hopiste is that what you're saying? And is Yung Lean guilty of the same kinda thing?

slowtrain

Ironic ska will be the scene to watch this summer, mark my words.

no it wont be (although i did see an old guy in a shirt that said 'HARD SKA GENIUS' yesterday)

it is psytrance.

i didn't realise cos i don't listen to hip hop, but someone was telling me that contemp hip hop is using lots of trance presets now, and vice just did this big article on how psytrance will 'never be cool'

so yeah its psytrance (or gabber)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I was joking but whatever. I have about as much interest in the listening habits of Vice readers as I do in Scottish league football.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I think swears otm as usual here with fashion tbh - those Yung lean kids are wearing like 1,500 worth of clothes each. Interestingly here's what they say about hipsters - who they don't like - from where they come from in Stockholm :

"They're all hipsters. They like Avicii, they like Swedish House Mafia, and they're into apple cider."

So hipster as an epithet is definitely a moveable feast.

comelately

Wild Horses
"They're all hipsters. They like Avicii, they like Swedish House Mafia, and they're into apple cider."

So hipster as an epithet is definitely a moveable feast.

I think we can all agree those sound like bad people, but I don't see a colon after hipster. The young Scandis do often dress quite hipster whilst having pretty middle of the road tastes in music. I was in Aarhus (Denmark's 2nd City) for a few weeks recently, and then Copenhagen for a few days - and what he's saying vaguely checks out.

I haven't been to a major Northern England city in a while (I was in Oldham at Xmas but never really ventured); I imagine the kids in Leeds and Manchester are pretty similar?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Interestingly here's what they say about hipsters - who they don't like - from where they come from in Stockholm :

Well that's the thing about being a hispter, isn't it - it's something other people do. How many people are genuinely prepared to call themselves hipsters? One or two people in this thread, IIRC. It's pretty unusual.

Also, lol at "apple cider". I guess maybe Stockholm is so awash with "cider" made from miscellaneous fruit that drinking stuff made from apples is a hipster statement, like craft beer is in London?

slowtrain

Well that's the thing about being a hispter, isn't it - it's something other people do. How many people are genuinely prepared to call themselves hipsters? One or two people in this thread, IIRC. It's pretty unusual.

Also, lol at "apple cider". I guess maybe Stockholm is so awash with "cider" made from miscellaneous fruit that drinking stuff made from apples is a hipster statement, like craft beer is in London?

Dunno about Sweden tbh, but in NZ apple cider (aka scrumpy) is what 'hipsters' (aka kids who are younger and have shittier taste in music than you do, but probably more fun) drink cos its cheap and strong but not wine cos thats for oldies

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
It's interesting that it's variable across the world, which kinda makes it even more nebulous, and meaningless. Weird.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Dunno about Sweden tbh, but in NZ apple cider (aka scrumpy) is what 'hipsters' (aka kids who are younger and have shittier taste in music than you do, but probably more fun) drink cos its cheap and strong but not wine cos thats for oldies

It's funny, in the UK until about a decade or 12 years ago cider was seen as the preserve (preservative?) of red-nosed owd baastaards in West Country pubs, teenagers hanging out in bus shelters and the differently housed. Then Magner's somehow convinced grown adults that it was cool to drink very sweet cider with lots of ice in it. Now every bar, pub, supermarket and offie in the land sells "pear cider", which used to be called perry, and this vile syrup-sweet Swedish nonsense made from fucking lingonberries and whatnot.

BTW if you want a laugh type 'gaymer' into Wikipedia.

Last edited: