Hipsters: Scourge or Irrelevence

vimothy

yurp
Is it really fair to say that anarchism has had no influence whatsoever on the modern world? I'm not sure how we would have found ourselves having this conversation, if that were true. (Even if it is, anarchism's ends and hipsterism's origins are still aligned.)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I dunno. It just...seems like straw dogs.

I mean, what does this even mean "but he also lives out an anarchist ideal, which is the rejection of truths and goods that cannot be chosen and are "above" the individual."

droid

Vimothy's attempts to conjure up a link between hipsterdom (in its modern sense, a consummate creation of capitalist alienation and isolation) and anarchism is the best thing in this thread, half hearted though it is.

luka

I don't think it's at all half hearted. Vimothy is always trying his best and giving his all and that's why he's a valued member of this community no matter how eccentric or creative his assertions may be

luka

No, he's just evolved. You should support and encourage his attempts to formulate ideas. It's the process that counts, not the results

vimothy

yurp
I recall that Craner said elsewhere on this site something about capitalism being the bit between feudalism and communism.

Is there really anything so much stranger in what I'm saying? There are numerous trajectories along which even communism and capitalism are aligned, as both Marx and Lenin (and everyone since) recognised.

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
Vimothy's attempts to conjure up a link between hipsterdom (in its modern sense, a consummate creation of capitalist alienation and isolation) and anarchism is the best thing in this thread, half hearted though it is.

And capitalism is expressed in its ideological form, how, exactly?

trza

Are we talking about Anarchists like the unhappy teenagers and twentysomethings of the nineties who are now in their forties?

droid

And capitalism is expressed in its ideological form, how, exactly?

Modern hipsterdom is defined almost entirely by consumerist choices. Its a desire for identity borne from the alienation of the individual within capitalist societies, and an expression of identity via a menu of cultural signifiers which can exist only within the political context of the market.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Oh I get it, so you're talking about all that Hakim Bey/Peter Lamborn Wilson stuff, he's not an anarchist, he's a CIA paedophile plant.

luka

When he says anarchism he presumably just means 'individualism' in a vague sense, as opposed to collectivism. It's a vague, broad brush argument given a spurious appearance of forensic specificity by this confusing and confused use of the word Anarchism to stand in for Individualism.
Hipsters were invented by the beastie boys in 1995 and codified by vice and American Apparel. Everyone knows this.
#constructivecriticism #feedback