Hipsters: Scourge or Irrelevence

droid

When he says anarchism he presumably just means 'individualism' in a vague sense, as opposed to collectivism. It's a vague, broad brush argument given a spurious appearance of forensic specificity by this confusing and confused use of the word Anarchism to stand in for Individualism.
Hipsters were invented by the beastie boys in 1995 and codified by vice and American Apparel. Everyone knows this.
#constructivecriticism #feedback

He means libertarianism, which does intersect with anarchism to be fair, but is also, sometimes, its almost total opposite.

luka

Well, no but libertarianism is certainly more relevant to the hipster I'll grant you that. If I remember rightly the founders of both vice and American Apparel are libertarian

trza

Celebrity Hipster Chocolatiers Reportedly Sold Remelted Commercial Chocolate
To the outside observer, two bearded men lying about the origins of their artisan chocolate sounds like a Tuesday in Williamsburg, but for the food world, the allegations targeted the leaders of a movement: Mast Brothers is widely credited for introducing artisanal chocolate to mainstream American culture. “The fact remains that they are one of the craft chocolate world’s great ambassadors,”
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/12/mast-brothers-chocolate-scandal

vimothy

yurp
It's true that hipsterism is in some sense an expression of consumerism. But the same could be said about most things,--at least that appear to be aspects of every day life--so more is needed to explain them. What's interesting about hipsters is the way they take an aspect of the contemporary world and blow it up until it becomes something like a caricature: recognisable from reality, but in an obscene form.

Hipsterism is consumerism elevated to the level of personal identity, consumerism metastasised, gone meta. For the hipster, identity is not something that connects him to higher truths and values which transcend him as an individual,--God, various forms of community, etc--but aesthetic choices that merely express personal tastes and dispositions, much as choices of consumption goods can be expressions of one's personality or values. "We have invented happiness," say the hipsters . . .

trza

The bearded chocolate makers are getting the business from the New York Times, Vox and Washington Post and the big food blogs like Grub Street and Eater. They have nearly a decade of quotes that now sound extra rich, like "We are a dangerous company because we are outsiders to the chocolate industry...". The product they were promising, delicious chocolate bars from single batches of cacao with few additives can only produce a truly awful chocolate bar and takes a ton of work to make just a few hundred bars at a time. Then they appear in upscale shops all over the country in super luxurious packaging. The chocolate experts had described their $10.00 bars as barely edible chalk.

luka

¶ R&A: That searching for the path isn’t like Kerouac’s search for God’s face, is it?

Rexroth: Look, that’s all a lot of talk. You don’t become a saint until you lead a good life whether in Tibet or Italy or America. When the hipster picks this up, he cheapens it. I don’t like hipsters. The hipster is a louse on jazz ... a mimic of jazz and Negroes who believes the Negro is born with a sax in his mouth and a hypodermic in his arm. That’s despicable. In jazz circles it’s what they call Crow Jimism.

http://poemsandpoetics.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/jerome-rothenberg-david-antin-first_30.html

trza

I have been following a new forum and slowly figuring out some of the good posters and lousy ones and tracking all the mega-beefs and other stuff. Some guy at this new forum has a deal where he sees all music through a lens of what hipsters think of it. Every single post is "Hipsters are into this because....." or "Hipsters think this is......" Like the whole history if music gets thrown into a prism of what hipsters think. Its the most miserable way to think of music that I've read in a long time.

droid

I have been following a new forum and slowly figuring out some of the good posters and lousy ones and tracking all the mega-beefs and other stuff. Some guy at this new forum has a deal where he sees all music through a lens of what hipsters think of it. Every single post is "Hipsters are into this because....." or "Hipsters think this is......" Like the whole history if music gets thrown into a prism of what hipsters think. Its the most miserable way to think of music that I've read in a long time.

Sounds brilliant. Where is this 'new forum' of which you speak?

firefinga

Me thinks, Hipsters are on the downturn. Maybe I am just not paying attention any more, but there seems to be a reduction of hipster's visibility of late. Or at least the Hispster uniform is in retreat - the younger bearded folx crew and all that.

Leo

Me thinks, Hipsters are on the downturn. Maybe I am just not paying attention any more, but there seems to be a reduction of hipster's visibility of late. Or at least the Hispster uniform is in retreat - the younger bearded folx crew and all that.

ha...you can tell you don't live in the states, firefinga! admittedly, nyc -- specifically, brooklyn -- is an extreme example but the lifestyle is alive and well in parts of every major city here. consider yourself lucky.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think it's fair to say a cultural phenomenon is well and truly in its 'mature' phase when the Sunday Sport is taking the piss out of it:

sport_hipster.jpg

luka

you know i dont like to encourage you tea but that is pretty fucking funny. i'd love to write for them. so much better than the onion and all that lot.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I like all their stories about people putting things up their bums or having horrible things happen to their 'bellends'. They choose such great subjects for the photos to go with the stories, too.

Last edited:

luka

up there with viz really. i never buy it obviously but im glad it exists and will never change until the trumpets sound and the rivers run red