Don Rosco

Dudes. I have done a mix for an all city podcast. Links are here:

http://all-cityrecords.com/index.php/2010/06/17/all-city-june-podcast-w-don-rosco-hardcore-junglism/

First for download, second for stream. It has a few more modren tunes from Olan before my mix, which starts at 24 minutes and is mostly 94 business - definitely my favourite period of hardcore / jungle / dnb. It's a few takes stitched together, but if it worked for Miles, it works for me. Here's the tracks:

**Don Rosco Hardcore Junglism Mix**
Oaysis - Open Secrets (Moving Shadow)
Tek 9 - Dem a gwan like dem know badness (Reinforced)
Smokey Joe - A Special Request (Noise of Art rmx) -(Labello Blanco)
Gappa G & Hypa Hyper (Man & Hattan EP)
SMF - How Many Ways - (Rugged Vinyl)
A Sides - Murder (Strictly Underground)
EZ Rollers - Believe (Foul Play remix) (Moving Shadow)
Mad Dog - Easy (Underdog)
DJ Hype - Shot in the Dark (Gunshot mix) (Suburban Base)
From the man like the Pennywise - Suspension of Disbelief (Symphony Sounds)
DJ Solo - Darkage (Production House)
Hyper On Experience - Lord of the Null Lines (Foul Play remix) (Moving Shadow)
Plasmic Life - Water Baby (Brain)
DJ Fokus - Trigger Happy (Voyager remix) (Lucky Spin)
Invisible Man - Skyliner (Timeless Recordings)
Oaysis - Outcry (Moving Shadow 2 on 1)
Rufige Cru - Fury (Moving Shadow 2 on 1)

Prior to that, the tunes from Olan are:

Sun Ra - Perfect Man (Jazzman)
Water Color - All Bundled Into One (Now Again/Jazzman)
PUDGE - Merci Mercy Weak (Ramp)
Kode 9 - You Dont Wash (Dub) (K7)
T Williams - Afric (Local Action)
Zomby - Godzilla (Ramp)
Charles Trees - Mahaogni (Musique Large)
Jnero Jarel - Android Romance pt I & II (Label Who)
Ill Blu - Dragon Pop (Hyperdub)

luka

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
Here's a super-obscure Tune I.D. that's been bugging me for, literally, 17 years.

In 1993 I went with a friend to what she called a "groove lounge", where we proceeded to get utterly blotto on mushrooms. There was a dj that was playing music I'd never heard and when I asked him what it was called he replied "jungle". I was like "what a fucking crazy name for a genre", as if the weird name was part of the trip.

Anyway, as we sobered up, there was one tune that had a vocal that was a rapper repeatedly saying "herbs and spices/to burn my tongue". It was more on the "intelligent"/ambient side of jungle.

It was the first time I'd heard electronic music outside of the home - my breakbeat virginity if you will - so it would be quite nice, in a nostalgic kinda way, if I could find the tune.

thanks lots!
Matthew

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
This might be a stupid question, but given that Jamaica reached jungle, did jungle ever reach Jamaica? Or anywhere in the Caribbean for that matter?

FairiesWearBoots

apparently this is finally seeing the light of day and getting a release? on Trace's label??

can anyone confirm??

its the VIP, I remember this track nearly killing people at Hanover Grand

shitty audio but you get the idea, when that warning tone starts . . .

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
apparently this is finally seeing the light of day and getting a release? on Trace's label??

can anyone confirm??

its the VIP, I remember this track nearly killing people at Hanover Grand

shitty audio but you get the idea, when that warning tone starts . . .

Not really jungle but I guess it's appropriate. Haven't heard any word about this one coming out, hopefully if it does it's fully legit - unlike the edtrafenical saga recently.

D

droid

This might be a stupid question, but given that Jamaica reached jungle, did jungle ever reach Jamaica? Or anywhere in the Caribbean for that matter?

Yeah, there's a few JA jungle productions. Steely and Cleevie did a jungle remix of Ninjaman on 7" and there's some clear D+B influence on some mid-late 90s riddims. There's also the famous jungle bungle/dont diss the jungle/jungle bungle II UK ragga counteractions from Starkey Banton and Tenor Fly, and people I spoke to in JA seemed familiar with jungle so there was definitely some backwash.

meatstixx

Yeah, there's a few JA jungle productions. Steely and Cleevie did a jungle remix of Ninjaman on 7" and there's some clear D+B influence on some mid-late 90s riddims. There's also the famous jungle bungle/dont diss the jungle/jungle bungle II UK ragga counteractions from Starkey Banton and Tenor Fly, and people I spoke to in JA seemed familiar with jungle so there was definitely some backwash.

know its a uk label, but greensleeves sometimes put jungle remixes on the flipsides of ragga 12s in the 90s, those must have made it over to JA

D

droid

Plus Jet Star with their 'street tuff' label, Top Cat's label, Jungle Fashion etc... I dont think they made the journey back though.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

This is very well known I reckon, but I only just found out the name, who made it etc after hearing it loads of times in old sets (I'm still a jungle noob really).

(The main sample might sound a bit bait now I guess, but remember this was way before Welcome To Jamrock and all the remixes and samples that came from that).