Pearsall

Prodigal Son
So I ended up doing another new mix, this time the theme being 'hardcore goes jungle', so basically stuff from 1994/95 where hardcore producers made jungle, hardcore labels released jungle, junglists released hardcore tunes ... it's a bit of a loose theme, but I pulled out 15 tunes that more-or-less fit the bill and I slapped them all together.

Pearsall-BeyondEcstatic.jpg

Soundcloud link:
Blog link: http://sonicrampage.org/blog/2016/0...hardcore-goes-jungle-the-780-project-part-10/

01. Bass Selective - Blow Out Pt IV (Shy FX Jungle VIP Mix) (4WO)
02. Bass Influence - All Massive (Impact)
03. Ratty - Bells Of Dawn (Jumping Jack Frost Remix) (Formation)
04. Vibes & Wishdokta - Guns n' Bass (Impact)
05. The House Crew - Super Hero (My Knight) (Production House)
06. Marc Smith - Centripital (Notorious Vinyl)
07. Essence Of Aura - Can I Dream (The Final Chapter VIP Mix) (Sublogic)
08. Hackney Hardcore - Dinomania (Hear It In A Rave Mix) (Strictly Underground)
09. Slipmatt - Breaking Free (Awesome)
10. DJ Seduction - Everybody (Impact)
11. DJ Ham - Rollem (Selector)
12. Pooch & Hursee - Baby Baby (Cut & Run)
13. The Trip - Special Toke (The 'Erb Remix 3) (Kniteforce)
14. Unknown & Temptation - Feel It (Hyper On Experience Remix) (Homegrown)
15. Vibes & Wishdokta - Midsummer Mist (Asylum)

luka

can get behind this mix. more my cup of tea this one. might do some mcing to it.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
quite a big fan of some of the jungle revival stuff that people like Tim Reaper have been making over the last few years:

sadmanbarty

Slow-fast DnB [I know it isn’t jungle, but I think this is the most appropriate thread]

It’s been around for a good 5 years now, but I never really gave it much thought. On the most immediate level it’s interesting as a kind of dystopian-dancehall.

On closer inspection a lot of it also cleverly manipulates tempo. People talk about Jungle simultaneously having two tempos; the drums at 160 bpm and the bass at 80 bpm. This stuff manages to take that concept and make it happen with the drums alone.

Some tracks do this by having the kicks and snares at the forefront of the mix with the double-time cymbals and ghost notes mixed very quietly at the back.

The really clever stuff has the slow tempo being the main rhythmic idea, with little splashes of double time interjected occasionally. This means that for the most part, the fast tempo is only implied rather than actually realised in the music.

Dub Phizix’s Fabriclive from last year:

http://www.fabriclondon.com/store/fabriclive-84.html

Here are some tracks from J Kenzo and Dub Phizix in the style:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Quite like some of those J Kenzo tunes but, as with most modern DNB, I find them a little overproduced. Everything sounds so clean and metronomic, it doesn't have any of the looseness or sense of barely-held together chaos that jungle had. Also, it's a shame that the tech-step influence seems so overwhelming on this side of things, as it was in the Kryptic Minds dubstep, e.g. I mean, it's a shame unless you like that sound!

DNB doesn't really exist for me anymore, and barely gets coverage in the music media I read, but it continues to be hugely popular. I find it amazing that Tru Playaz still do regular nights at Fabric, for example. But then, when I was into DNB it had that defiant sense of being a cult phenomenon regardless of approval from other genres. Good for them, I say!

Still, the glory days AFAIC are over twenty years ago by now.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's important to remember, of course, that DNB is resolutely club-orientated music, and as such it tends to be engineered for maximum impact in that setting. This is presumably why it became an arms-race for most crisply engineered drums and most gnarly bass over the years.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
So I decided to throw together another jungle mix, this time 100% ragga. The mixing is mostly good although there's a few slightly shonky moments, but I guess that kind of comes with the territory as a lot of those old tunes weren't really put together with the dj's comfort in mind

Pearsall-IAmBabylon.jpg

Tracklisting:

01. DJ Gunshot - Soundboy (No U-Turn)
02. The Underworld - Soundboy In A Problem (Fist 2 Fist)
03. Tom & Jerry - Who Kan Draw (Tom & Jerry)
04. The New Cru - Run Come feat General Pecos (Labello Blanco)
05. Mensa - Bad Boy (Tearin Vinyl)
06. New Blood - Worries In The Dance (London Some'ting)
07. Smokey Joe - Shining (Remix) (Labello Blanco)
08. Jack Horner - After Midnight (Spectrum)
09. The Source - Slip & Slide (Devious D Remix) (Awesome)
10. Splash - Babylon (Ray Keith Remix) (Juice)
11. Shabba Ranks - Let's Get It On (Beef Joint) (Dillinja & Goldie Remix) (Epic)
12. DIY Crew - Look Good Girl (Boom Tunes)
13. DJ Dextrous & Rude Boy Keith - Bad Boy Tune (Suburban Base)
14. Ellis Dee - Big Up Your Chest (Remix) (Cat)
15. Tom & Jerry - Likkle Sound (Tom & Jerry)

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
can anyone point me in the direction of some more stuff like this:

preferably from the 90s. i had so many great nights dancing to shit like this in squats in london way back when, but never managed to track any down. closest i got was dj ss - black. but even that doesn't quite take you to the terror dome like the above one

cheers

luka

can anyone point me in the direction of some more stuff like this:

preferably from the 90s. i had so many great nights dancing to shit like this in squats in london way back when, but never managed to track any down. closest i got was dj ss - black. but even that doesn't quite take you to the terror dome like the above one

cheers

i dont think anyting like this was made in 90s but there was an ironic jungle wave in the 2000s and heaps of tunes like this came out of that.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
so obviously that FFF track sounds contempo, but was there really nothing along those lines in the 90s? could've sworn the shit i was dancing to (albeit in the 00s) was old school. mostly based on seeing the sleeves and labels.

so if not, what was some of the darker/heavier shit in the 90s?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah that's almost Squarepusher territory as far as pushing the choppage to extremes.

This is from 1997

Paradox - A Certain Sound

I saw Paradox live once and he spent half the time lon the microphone ecturing the audience on how modern drum n bass was shit :D