mvuent

Void Dweller
Amazing how ANCIENT this stuff sounds now.

The sound quality is so bad on this set that I'm assuming the main appeal for you here is the MCing/vibes.

This stuff would still sound absolutely fantastic on a big rig. Preferably standing next to it with the wall vibrating against my back.
the thing about ancient-sounding electronic music is that it's the most sonically rich, alive, full of mystery. just listen to 2:33 to 3:50 in that set for evidence. fog of war is the teacher.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Yeah, electronic music is mostly very granulated these days. There are people who do it astoundingly well, Autechre for instance, but the whole sound design craze needs to fade out, I think. Not that granular synthesis isn't amazing, cos it is, but most people don't use it to its full potential.

mvuent

Void Dweller
Yeah, electronic music is mostly very granulated these days. There are people who do it astoundingly well, Autechre for instance, but the whole sound design craze needs to fade out, I think. Not that granular synthesis isn't amazing, cos it is, but most people don't use it to its full potential.
they're weird because they're famously pristine/clinical but also really aware of the magic of old imperfect recordings. they love a lot of the old guys like Ussachevsky and Dockstader. so particularly in NTS Sessions you get these weird tracks that somehow sound granulated and 1000 years old at the same time.

mvuent

Void Dweller
you can make all kinds of sounds with it but there's this underlying homogeneity, a dry coarseness, like they're all made out of sand. it ruined "sophisticated" electronic music basically.