catalog

Going back to that link luke posted, what's good is that very tough and weird juxtaposition of the still dread voice over this space music. That incongruence is what makes it brilliant.

And you got that incongruence on a good night oout at twh. The smoke, the extreme cold, the loudness, the detourning oc cheesy euro trance, all of that combined very well.

I think its hard to achieve that incongruence that creates brilliance sonically alone now. Nothing is apart enough. It's all squeezed down. The sound world is very limited as we have made it.

So you need the appendages of environment, visual element.

That Greek guy is called xyn cabal and is a case in point. Brilliant 20 minute set at twh, very disappointing EP cos it was divorced of that context.

This mix of his is good tho

mvuent

Void Dweller
I wouldn't say it ruined so much as the avant-garde became a victim of its own success. Remember that a lot of these composers are/were in a tradition we all here have cursory knowledge of. Parmegiani and co. were engaging with European high art music, especially the variations from the romantic period to the modern. So for them the binary between acoustic and electronic is not so sharply demarcated.
depends on the composer i suppose.

the works from that lot where you can really hear a connection with western classical are often the best ones imo. its why lately i've rated bayle and dhomont higher than parmegiani (although he's obviously amazing too).

i hear more large scale "thematic" continuities in their work, approaching a kind of alternate-universe sonata form. parmegiani's more inclined to play with a sound/idea for a few minutes and then toss it away, never to be heard from again. large-scale continuity often = greater emotional resonance.

sadly that stuff feels like a "lost future" that will never reach fruition now that everyone's raised on popular music.

Last edited:

luka

its a humiliating disgrace i dont think i really want to. you always try and keep just on the right side of irreversible decline, like surfing the wave of chaos, but over the last year or so ive slipped into mad person flat territory

woops

is not like other people
its a humiliating disgrace i dont think i really want to. you always try and keep just on the right side of irreversible decline, like surfing the wave of chaos, but over the last year or so ive slipped into mad person flat territory
maybe just move to a new flat and leave it all behind?

luka

woops

is not like other people

seems your making excellent progress @luka

woops

is not like other people
that's the one with your legendary wanking poem isn't it. i remember that time, very black moods.
i've just reread that whole thread and what's striking is the strong collective urge to reach outward, upward and further