craner

Beast of Burden
What was the album 4 Hero released in 1994? Is it shit?

I listened to Black Secret Technology for the first time in years recently and thought it sounded surprisingly bad. Not dated well, or something.

DJ PIMP

I was always desperate to own a copy of 'Nazinji-zaka', alas. Such a gorgeous thing.

I had a copy of that... good stuff.

I still like Black Secret. It doesn't sound much like anything else; proper avante jungle now that so much of the genre has been assimilated or forgotten.

That 4Hero album is nice too... not crappy by any stretch.

It's the fate of any music/genre that really sticks out to date pretty hard for a while. For me jungle was THE sound of the early/mid 90s and boy does it sound like it.

It's nice though - lots of jungle has a very folksy quality to it now in the same way as chi/acid house. In the space of a decade the future became quaint.

Shonx

Shallow House
im no expert either but the hype remix of remarcs RIP should be there :p

a lot of the list seems to be early jungle, stuff that wasnt quite as rhythmically complex as it got later, still retaining quite a bit of hardcore.

I think the Remarc remix of RIP off this was way better than the Hype one (imo) -

http://www.discogs.com/release/189737

Good to see it's mostly big tunes rather than obscurist stuff in that list. Must admit it would have been nice to see some of the more dubbed out early ones - The Shining by Smokin' Joe being a big fave of mine.

luka

craner it is called parallel universes and it is shit. apart from two good songs. but one of those is realy really good. te rest is horrible.

Client Eastwood

Still loving BST I can easily listen to the whole album in one sitting.

All that jazz lite drum and bass just doesnt do it for me. Parrallel Universe is probably the best of the bunch. Also the bonus CD of Two Pages is far more exciting that that actual release.

D

droid

im no expert either but the hype remix of remarcs RIP should be there :p

a lot of the list seems to be early jungle, stuff that wasnt quite as rhythmically complex as it got later, still retaining quite a bit of hardcore.

OTM with Hype's RIP mix. Other than that the list is OK but surprisingly lax in the details.

Playford had nothing to do with Terminator. It was an (original) Rufige kru (Goldie and Toby Linford) tune with Marc 4 hero (or Markus Rutherford) on production.

Durban Poisons "strings that sound as if they have a Middle Eastern provenance" are sampled from Peter Gabriel's soundtrack to the last temptation of Christ.

Rolldabeats? If you're gonna put this it has to be the remix.

"Rufige Kru was another alias for Goldie and Rob Playford" again - not really true. AFAIK, Playford only started working with Goldie on Angel in 95. This incarnation of Rufige Kryu consisted of Goldie with 4 hero on production

Babylon - has to be the first Trace remix...

And wot - no Crystl, 4hero/tek 9 or Gerald? "Let it roll', 'Dark Crystl , 'London Sumtin' or 'Glock' are all likely candidates. Good to see Bay B Kane made it though.

Must admit it would have been nice to see some of the more dubbed out early ones - The Shining by Smokin' Joe being a big fave of mine.

Shinin' is a killer tune. 'Freakin' With Da Cut' is another good one from this underrated producer.

gumdrops

All that jazz lite drum and bass just doesnt do it for me. Parrallel Universe is probably the best of the bunch. Also the bonus CD of Two Pages is far more exciting that that actual release.

same here. that 2nd disc still sounds unlike anything else. some really brilliant stuff on there, even though i dont listen to it that much.

bassnation

the abyss
What was the album 4 Hero released in 1994? Is it shit?

I listened to Black Secret Technology for the first time in years recently and thought it sounded surprisingly bad. Not dated well, or something.

well, its not mastered well in my opinion. it sounds old and scratchy and not at all shiny and ultra compressed like most music these days, it really hits you when you listen to it.

however, i think it kind of adds to the experience. listening to that album is a very deep almost romantic experience. it was totally out of its time even on its release. theres very few records with that feel, if you ask me.

bassnation

the abyss
It's nice though - lots of jungle has a very folksy quality to it now in the same way as chi/acid house. In the space of a decade the future became quaint.

pump out over a big system though and it sounds the nuts. its still top notch dance music in that regard. when i see house and techno djs occasionally drop a jungle track the place inevitably goes loopy.

DJ PIMP

pump out over a big system though and it sounds the nuts. its still top notch dance music in that regard. when i see house and techno djs occasionally drop a jungle track the place inevitably goes loopy.

its proper banging tribal business, by virtue of the subs and the drums alone.

such a different feel to anything else and the amount of space in the music was so nice.

gumdrops

does anyone know what the best compilation to get into moving shadow (at their peak) and metalheadz (theres quite a few comps about) is/was?

Last edited:

Client Eastwood

For Metalheadz try Platinum Breakz v1 and v2. Both are good but i pref v1 by far. There was another MH comp that came in a metal case but I didnt pick up on it.

zhao

there are no accidents
have been moving through Bingo Beats catalog, and it's almost (almost) revived my faith in junglism. maybe because it's closer to UKG rather than the bullshit that D'n'B has become...

any recommendations on jungle with 2step/UKG feel?

Dr Venom

Wild Horses
Hmm... Jungle with a 2-step feel.

I think it would depend on the style or meaning. Certainly look into Bingo if you want to find an UKG and breakbeat garage remix intravenous into Jungle, probably beginning with 174 Trek (strictly this was released on Tru Playaz) through remixes of the early bingo work (the best stuff IMHO) such as Go DJ, the Wookie collaborations and look out for a Menta/Zinc flipside swap release with Tonka and Sounds of the Future remixes by said artists. The tradition seems to have continued to this day with Zincs remix of Midnight Request Line (an interesting half-step at 170bpm venture.)

But if you meant dnb with a sonical leaning then to me there a connection would be made in area of liquid dnb. I dunno how big a junglist you are but check Hospital Records, Soul:R and artist LTJ Bukem. In this strain there has been links too, I think dubstep architect Landslide did some stuff for Hospital.

On the flipside of things there were plenty of bad rehashes of Jungle tunes in early UK Garage coming out of the 'nuum transition. A sucessful one was Future Underground Nation's- Its The Way. Also funnily enough i've always loved hearing amens at garage tempo, and dread bass (Hobsons Choice, up to Burial). History repeats so expect to see plenty of poor wonky/funky remixes of UKG and dubstep tunes over the next 18 months.

DJ PIMP

Zhao - it's not UKG at all, but check out some of the Fidget House or Electro Breaks (bleh, whatever...) type stuff thats coming out the past year or so... kind of picking up from Switchs style and munging it with Electro House and old skool sounds.

Boy 8-Bit - Fogbank... massive jungle sounds here.
Fake Blood - Mars

Even something like Surkin - White Knight Two might be of interest if you like pre-jungle UK rave stuff.

Alfons

Way of the future
Still loving BST I can easily listen to the whole album in one sitting.

Love both "pages", think if they had released that album just a bit earlier it would have been counted as a classic.

does anyone know what the best compilation to get into moving shadow (at their peak) and metalheadz (theres quite a few comps about) is/was?

I quite like this one: http://www.discogs.com/release/6144 goes from the beginnings onto early 00s in 80 minutes and it only costed 4 pounds I think. MS did a couple of mix cd's every year in the late 90s 98.1, 98.2 and so on and theres also this: http://www.discogs.com/release/9815

Other than that their compilations weren't all that imo, always about some weird concept instead of just pulling the best tracks from their great roster

For Metalheadz try Platinum Breakz v1 and v2. Both are good but i pref v1 by far. There was another MH comp that came in a metal case but I didnt pick up on it.

The Platinum Breakz 1 cd is huuuge. The Metalbox is cool too, like quite a few of the downtempo tracks although it is a bit to clever for it's own good.