luka

i didnt shit on it but i did accientally set it on fire then burning bits of cushion dripped down and set the floor alight

version

You shat the bed then set fire to it to hide the evidence?
Here we go, it's banter time
image.jpg

catalog

I remember the talking about it but I've nevervr seen thd phot. That is a bit grim yes but important to note we've all been there

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
http://www.woebot.com/?m=1

Mix is here. Well good. Listening again now. I suppose the idea would be for droid to make a counter argument in the same form.

See, I remember in 1990 desperately wanting to hear more Reggae than Hardcore would allow. And that's why I ended up getting into Dancehall.

He's right about this though. Listen to top buzz sets from late 91-92 and there's hardly any reggae. Loads of belgian techno type riffs, bleeps and bass, screaming italian house divas and pianos, but the reggae influence comes in late 92.

and that when Jungle (eventually) became too literal about aping dub or in using actual dancehall MCs it lost its way

This i have more trouble with though, because the hoovertastic roiling breakbeat darkside of 93 was heavily dub indebted, as negative space. Though you could say that's an avant-lumpen approach to dub, not literal.

"Phuture Assasins Theme", off the first Boogie Times release, is a gift for my argument.

Indeed, I played both this and Depth Charge in my latest mix, but didn't realise Matt had done this mix.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the intro sounds like an ed rush and optical tune circa 2000

your favourite!

has sped up hiphop ever actually been attempted? like chopped n screwed for benzedrine addicts.

interesting topic actually, genres that speed up. Is it a sign of whiteification? I'm thinking specifically of techno and drum n bayyyse

Not necessarily, rumour has it that what Jamaicans called 'hardcore ragga' was dancehall in crack dens being played at 78. I don't know if this is true, but I want to believe it. Also if anything it was the white British purists who were anal about playing techno nice and slow, whereas the actual detroit jocks like claude young, mills, Assault etc played all their shit at +8. Jungle's a different story though really, it's why droid was puzzled that he could hear more variety at a roots/reggae night than a 130 bpm house/uk bass night. Well yes, listen to any awol set and you can tell how much it wasn't nation-wide at all and the only way to go nation wide was to make the music more accessible to people outside of that locale. Grime had to go through this experience as well. It's why Muggs will say Englishness not Britishness - and he's not exactly off the mark, but why can't we just have unwavering london supremacy if we're going to go there?

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I (mis?-) remember Fabio, in a different interview, saying that if you were a black boy in the 70's you were supposed to listen to social-realist, masculine reggae, but he liked girly, escapist soul. There also may be a thing where people feel a duty to signify their heritage by saying they are fans of reggae. Hence you get this tokenistic nod to Jamaican influence, but soul and other things are in actuality more important to them.

100% correct, the 3 hour interview with fabio and groove also touches on this though. Groove even claims he never really liked roots all that much and only likes the hard stuff (aka. ragga.)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
so obviously that FFF track sounds contempo, but was there really nothing along those lines in the 90s? could've sworn the shit i was dancing to (albeit in the 00s) was old school. mostly based on seeing the sleeves and labels.

so if not, what was some of the darker/heavier shit in the 90s?

No there was. mixrace dj trax+paradox, Equinox (of bizzy b and Equinox fame) all the stuff on Penny Black - Twisted anger - the first few inperspective releases.