craner

Beast of Burden

This Dillinja interview always interested me, cos of what he says about perfecting one piece of the track and then just filling in the rest.

29 nine minutes in is the moment jungle died. Although all that "Blue Note is like going to school" over rigid metallic beats was already pissing me off (retrospectively, I admit).

That whole documentary has dated very badly. Lemon D, Adam F, J Majik...fuck off. Almost the equivalent of Britpop hubris. Horrible. Then Optical, too. Bum-fluff face harbinger of doom. Gross.

Dillinja sequence is the only redeeming feature.

PiLhead

Bum-fluff face harbinger of doom

teeheehee

i like Ray Keith's "bonehead music" bit but generally it's fair to say none of them really do the music any favours with their line of patter

even Goldie - the quote-machine gift to journalists - when you strip away the Goldie charisma, he's not actually saying much really - it's woffle for the most part

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah the metalheadz doc is quite cringeworthy. The Go Karting! :crylarf:

Saying that I always enjoy interviews with Goldie, find him a pretty fascinating guy, and infectiously passionate.

droid

Was out at a drum and bass thing on Saturday. Anniversary of a collective I used to be involved in. There was some great vibes & some good jungle at the end, but also loads of credible but dull D+B.

It doesnt make me angry anymore, just sad, what happened.

firefinga

Was out at a drum and bass thing on Saturday. Anniversary of a collective I used to be involved in. There was some great vibes & some good jungle at the end, but also loads of credible but dull D+B.

It doesnt make me angry anymore, just sad, what happened.

Bassbin birthday bash?

droid

Yup. Crazy turnout, people coming from all over for it. Nowhere near as messy as I thought it would be, quite civilised actually.

droid

I walked home afterwards. Saw two foxes in the empty streets. One of them was giant and fuzzy, like a Japanese Spitz.

droid

Yeah, it was good to see people, though Dublin's a small place and Ive done enough jungle gigs over the years since to bump into most of the veterans... but when Bassbin was in its heyday (probably 99-03) I had really lost faith in the music.

They did put on some great nights though back in the day, and there were always good vibes.

firefinga

29 nine minutes in is the moment jungle died. Although all that "Blue Note is like going to school" over rigid metallic beats was already pissing me off (retrospectively, I admit).

That whole documentary has dated very badly. Lemon D, Adam F, J Majik...fuck off. Almost the equivalent of Britpop hubris. Horrible. Then Optical, too. Bum-fluff face harbinger of doom. Gross.

Dillinja sequence is the only redeeming feature.

In hindsight it's easy to spot the writings on the wall. Around late '96 they began to believe all the media-hype themselves.

craner

Beast of Burden

Over the last few months, mostly playing it very loud in the car, I've developed a soft spot for this.

1) It's not 'Wormhole'
2) It's not really what it thinks it is, at its best

Loud, now, it comes across as a cheesy, massive, enjoyable, silly prog-jungle mess. In that context, it's actually lovely. And then bashed to bits by the great 'Jah - the Seventh Seal' right after.

Not taken at face value, it's better.