Pearsall

Prodigal Son
I don't know how people here feel about new jungle stuff, but I have really enjoyed Tim Reaper's releases over the last few years, so I decided to pull together a bunch of them on one mix just before Christmas

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

Mixed in Berlin, December 2017
100% Vinyl
(60:24, 138 MB, 320 kbps MP3)

Tracklisting:

01. Tim Reaper - All Right (Blu Mar Ten Music)
02. Tim Reaper, Charlie Turbo & Mpathy - Final Departure (Criterion)
03. Tim Reaper & Dwarde - Globex Corp Vol. 3 (Side B1) (Seventh Storey)
04. Tim Reaper - Magic Tonight (AKO Arcade)
05. Tim Reaper - Those Eyes (Green Bay Wax)
06. Sonar's Ghost & Tim Reaper - Says Who (Phat Bubba)
07. Tim Reaper - Lanterns (Repertoire)
08. Tim Reaper - Second Chance (Repertoire)
09. Tim Reaper & Mpathy - Mindkiller VIP (Logical Direction)
10. Tim Reaper - Lake Volta (Skeleton)
11. Tim Reaper - Grapefruit III (Dublinquents)
12. Tim Reaper & Dwarde - Globex Corp Vol. 1 (Side B2) (Seventh Storey)
13. Tim Reaper & Dwarde - Globex Corp Vol. 3 (Side A1) (Seventh Storey)
14. Tim Reaper & Worldwide Epidemic - Z Maze (Seventh Storey)
15. Tim Reaper & Worldwide Epidemic - Globex Corp Vol. 2 (Side B1) (Seventh Storey)
16. Tim Reaper - Spiralling Down (Seventh Storey)
17. DJ Stretch - Hungry Tiger (Tim Reaper VIP Mix) (AKO Beatz)
18. Dem 2 Ruff - Nice Tune (Tim Reaper Remix) (White)
19. Tim Reaper - Oh Gosh (Sweet Sensi)
20. Tim Reaper & Dwarde - Untitled Junglist (Phat Bubba)
21. Tim Reaper - Give Me More (Amenology)

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

Over the last few months, mostly playing it very loud in the car, I've developed a soft spot for this.

1) It's not 'Wormhole'
2) It's not really what it thinks it is, at its best

Loud, now, it comes across as a cheesy, massive, enjoyable, silly prog-jungle mess. In that context, it's actually lovely. And then bashed to bits by the great 'Jah - the Seventh Seal' right after.

Not taken at face value, it's better.

i think timeless is the most overrated album.

parallel universe is infinitely better.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
the only good jungle LP is Black Secret Technology. resident tru kvlt junglist droid will confirm this.

having said that, Timeless >> Parallel Universe for sure.

Timeless is an overwrought mess that epitomizes jungle's descent into respectable elevator music but at least it has some nice bits, and some of the prog jungle bits are enjoyable. Parallel Universe is full on coffee table book middlebrow.

john eden

male pale and stale
1. Self Evident Truth Of An Intuitive Mind
2. Black Secret Technology
3. Timeless

I've not heard Parallel Universe but did mildly enjoy "Two Pages" for the first time a few years back when I was drunk and had found it in a charity shop.

Timeless brings back a lot of happy memories for me.

padraig (u.s.)

1. Self Evident Truth Of An Intuitive Mind

ya I thought of that about 5 minutes after I posted + mentally kicked myself

it is, more than BST, edging into "drum + bass", i.e. serious mid-90s techno overtones (iirc a couple tracks don't even have any breakbeats)

still I'd definitely count it as a good jungle LP

there's also a few compilations - Deepest Cut Vol. 1, Just An Example, etc - that are great but not actual LPs like BST or Timeless

padraig (u.s.)

not enjoyable in the way he intended I suspect.

that is the nature of all true prog

surely blissblogger or somebody has done a major thinkpiece somewhere on the metaconcept of prog across genres, through the ages?

this is making me reconsider Acen as prog ardkore

while we're on the topic I have always loved the Christoph de Babalon LP, talking about things that are prog and not quite jungle

droid

Timeless is a bit of a mess of an LP but has some of the best and most innovative jungle tunes ever made. Jah the 7th seal, This is a bad, Still life, Kemistry VIP - all amazing.

BST is outstanding, the remastered version in particular. Suffers from ramshackle production. 28 gun bad boy aint too shabby either.

The Foul Play album is a bit patchy in selection but has some truly sublime moments.

Im a fan of the Springheel Jack record. Very underrated.

Parallel Universe is great. Unsure of where the animus comes from. Probably second after BST. Their first LP is worthy too, but not really jungle.

Omni Trio's Deepest Cut could be a sneaky first place IF you think of it as an album.

DJ rap & voyager's intelligence is an exceptional collection.

D'Cruze's control and Marvellous Cain's Gun Talk both radically different and self contained suites from Subbase.

There's that first Photek LP... The Source Direct LP.

I pulled out the Jacob's Optical Stairway and the Boymerang a while back and was pleasantly surprised at the quality.

The truth is that the best jungle album isnt a single artist album - its a compilation.

Last edited:

droid

The double CD version has a ton of fluff though - state of mind, adrift - though I have a sneaking regard for sea of tears.

droid

Yeah, its not so bad. Works OK in the context of the record. State of mind is the real timeless stinker.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
teraforming, rinkles in time, follow your heart pt 2 aren't coffee table lmao. they are peak 94 ambient jungle, before that sound mostly went to shit.

The only track that could be said for is universal love but i still like that cheesy sax and all, whereas with goldie the gentrification had already set in by that point. i was actually talking about that double cd version of timeless as being the most overrated.

i agree bst is better than both of them.

droid

The only track that could be said for is universal love but i still like that cheesy sax and all, whereas with goldie the gentrification had already set in by that point.

Only the original mix though. The 12" is great and the mix on jungle book is fantastic.

padraig (u.s.)

The truth is that the best jungle album isnt a single artist album - its a compilation.

well yeah definitely, that goes without saying

I need to listen to Marvellous Cain, I've heard it but it's been forever and I don't remember it

the Boymerang LP has some moments but it's not on level w/BST etc

need to check out Spring Heel Jack as well. had no idea one of them was in Spiritualized at the same time.

Photek (by the time of his first LP) + Source Direct definitely have to be dnb rather than jungle, no?

either way, this is why we need to make hyperbolic statements, to draw out the true experts, so thanks for that rundown

padraig (u.s.)

teraforming, rinkles in time, follow your heart pt 2 aren't coffee table lmao. they are peak 94 ambient jungle

my dude I just listened to it again to reaffirm my opinion, and well, we will have to agree to disagree. I say that as an ambient jungle lover.

don't get me wrong, Journey From the Light + Golden Age are two of the greatest jungle 12"s ever, Tom + Jerry is fucking great, etc

part of the appeal of Timeless is its ambition, even if it isn't realized and even if it's a touchstone for everything going wrong

either way, A Guy Called Gerald, hell yeah! all the Juice Box stuff is great.