droid

Last great peshay tune was Piano/vocal tune on good looking, and that was made sometime late 93/early 94, though released in 95.

Id give 96's 'on the nile' a nod, but not much else.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Hmm, I guess it depends if you like the techstep stuff or not. I really liked 'The Nocturnal' on Platinum Breakz, his remix of 'Jah' on Razor's Edge, the 'Angel' remix, the 'On The War Path' / 'Latin Jungle' release on Street Beats, his stuff as Secrets (also on Street Beats), as well as 'On The Nile'.

overall I think that was a pretty good selection of tunes!

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
I used to love 'Psychosis' by Peshay

Nowadays, having read simon reynolds and been thoroughly inculcated into dissensus, its the sort of thing I inwardly reject as over ponderous and jazzy but tbh I'm listening to it now as an experiment and the 'won't you feel free' bit still tugs the old heartstrings

droid

Yeah, not too keen on his techstep bits, dont like that Jah mix.

Big love for psychosis/represent though.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
what was wrong with Peshay's output in 95/96?

hey now I said 96, not 95 and 96. as you well know when talking about jungle that is a huge difference.

and really I didn't just mean Peshay, I meant the whole thing - Mo Wax, trip hop remix, The Matrix - suggests it should be bad.

tho tbh I don't even like Psychosis/Represent or Piano Tune (19.5 is alright), let alone On the Nile. On the War Path and the Jah remix are OK.

Idk man Peshay is just one of those dudes that embodies jazzy elevator waffling to me.

revisiting things now I find I'm just really not into almost any of the ca. 94-95 GLR + GLRish stuff, even things I used to like. who knows? it's taste.

as the great John Eden once said, it's just music.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Also, I was unfamiliar with Secrets, and I really like Volume II! So thanks for that tip.

I think what it really is is that a lot of that GLRish stuff, the drums just don't hit hard enough for me tbh.

Secrets II and the Rob Dougan remix both have pretty tearout drum business which is I'm pretty sure why I like them.

I prefer my ambient jungle with teeth, I guess.

droid

That's alright actually, despite the amen.

Ghaleon did a new mix a few weeks back - you'd like it Luka:

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
what a great year 1993 was in retrospect

jungle at its peak even though i didn't know it and Jurassic Park was released in UK cinemas which i did know and love about

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
the lion king came out in 1994

perhaps at last we can agree that 1994 is the best year of my life

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
So I recorded a new jungle mix a while back but am only now getting around to sharing it. It's pretty good, I think - or at least I am happy with it. ;)

blog link: http://sonicrampage.org/blog/2018/08/pearsall-presents-rolled-in-sunshine-summer-ready-jungle-mix/

my blog said:
It’s summer, so why not some jungle? This has already been a hot summer in Berlin so I figured what better way to enjoy it than to dig into my jungle collection and put together a mix of some quality tunes? As usual, I’ve tried to mix up big tunes with b-sides and obscurities, and in this specific case I also wanted to keep it a purely rolling selection, meaning no Amen breaks. I love the Amen, but sometimes it is a bit like eating cake over and over and over – you want to have something different. Hence this mix, a totally Amen-free zone!

What’s nice about this mix, for me at least, is that it points at a direction for jungle music that wasn’t so well explored in the end – jungle as a rugged form of soul music, with sweet melodies and vocals rubbing up against tough breaks – the sounds of rare groove and jazz funk reimagined in a rave context. In the endlessly bifurcating river of breakbeat music, the ‘deeper’ side of this music, as represented in this mix, ended up evolving by 1996 into a very smooth sound, with well-mannered beats matched to tasteful samples from jazz and funk. I like that stuff too (see here), but I still feel like something vital was missed in the transition, and making this mix (and listening to it over and over and over) has just reinforced that for me. I much prefer this tougher sound to what came later, which sometimes sounded a bit like it was designed to soundtrack shampoo commercials.

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=""></iframe>

Pearsall presents Rolled In Sunshine
100% Vinyl
Mixed in Berlin, June 2018

Tracklisting:

01. Tom & Jerry - Say Goodbye (Broke My Heart) (Tom & Jerry)
02. Foul Play - Beats Track (Moving Shadow)
03. DJ Krust - Poison (V Recordings)
04. Origin Unknown - Mission Control (Ram)
05. JMJ & Richie - Deep Bass 9 (Moving Shadow)
06. Parallel World - Contagious (Good Looking)
07. Babylon Timewarp - Searching (Keeping Vinyl Alive)
08. Goldie - Still Life (ffRR)
09. Oaysis - Outcry (Moving Shadow)
10. Cold Mission - For Da Ladies (Reinforced)
11. Joint Venture - Take Away (Liftin' Spirit)
12. DJ Rap - Switch (Proper Talent)
13. Safari Sounds - Droppin' Science Vol. 4 (Side A) (Droppin' Science)
14. VIP Crew - Special Request (Mike James Mix) (Strictly Underground)
15. Shimon - Within Reason (Ram)
16. Adam F - Future Sound (Infrared)
17. Dillinja - Another Dimension (Deep Jungle)
18. Unit 1 - Atlantic Drama (Creative Wax)
19. Andy C - Roll On (Ram)
20. Dillinja - Sovereign Melody (Deadly Vinyl)
21. Tom & Jerry - On & On (Tom & Jerry)
22. DJ Stretch & DJ Ride - Selector (Jungle) (Rinsin')
23. Run Tings - Ruff Revival (Suburban Base)
24. Roni Size - It's A Jazz Thing (Ladies Mix) (V Recordings)
25. Foul Play - Being With You (Moving Shadow)

sadmanbarty

me and droid have caused enough misery with our back and forths about whether jungle rhythms come from dancehall or not. so not going to rehash it, but just thought a good way to explain what i'm hearing is if you click on the cog on the bottom right of the youtube videos and set the speed to 1.5:

Leo

just popping in to say...I had no idea it was possible to alter the speed setting on a youtube video, thanks barty!

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
that'd make sense if not for the fact that basslines staccato boom in dancehall (like they do in electro and electro-descended hip hop musics, actually.)

in fact listen to this at 1.5 and it doesn't sound like dancehall at all but some crazy arabic classical drum work out.

I think with jungle it makes more sense to talk about the way the technology allowed the processing of the breaks.