Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 168

Thread: The Phenomenal Slavoj Zizek

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    1,268

    Default The Phenomenal Slavoj Zizek

    Slavoj Zizek has been around and about lately; reviewing Peter Hallward's book Damming the Flood in the New Statesman, pontificating on Tibet, and then Radovan Karazdic's poetry in the LRB, answering a Q+A in the Guardian, and, of course, publishing a new book.

    http://www.newstatesman.com/books/20...istide-lavalas

    http://www.lrb.co.uk/v30/n12/letters.html#letter5
    (and see Rebecca French's Reply)
    http://www.lrb.co.uk/v30/n15/letters.html

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...9/slavoj.zizek

    What do Dissensusers think of his work?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,866

    Default

    Hahaha, awesome:

    Quote Originally Posted by Slavoj Zizek
    Q. What does love feel like?

    A. Like a great misfortune, a monstrous parasite, a permanent state of emergency that ruins all small pleasures.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    THE YABBA
    Posts
    5,753

    Default

    He answered me back on myspace so he gets more credit in my book than Thom Yorke, Kode9 or Gus Van Sant, who never.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    He answered me back on myspace so he gets more credit in my book than Thom Yorke, Kode9 or Gus Van Sant, who never.
    he has a myspace? that's so freaking cool. i wish all my favourite writers had myspaces.

  6. #6

    Default

    An interesting and provocative thinker- though whenever i watch one of his lectures from the last couple of years everything about his delivery and mannerisms suggest he's nosed a half kilometre line of chong five seconds before he came on. it's really distracting. anyone else noticed that?

  7. #7

    Default

    Would explain a lot. But not everything. Perhaps he's mixing kenny in with his nosebag.

    Brad DeLong is the same by the way...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    THE YABBA
    Posts
    5,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mos dan View Post
    he has a myspace? that's so freaking cool. i wish all my favourite writers had myspaces.
    Innit? It was him as well cos he sent me his address so I could send him stuff, it's little things like that that make me really happy.

    I think he's just totally ADD rather than on the toot, you see him in that documentary and he's hyper all the way through. Big brain + no attention span = cultural studies.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post

    I think he's just totally ADD rather than on the toot, you see him in that documentary and he's hyper all the way through. Big brain + no attention span = cultural studies.
    haha. yeah probably so... i dunno though...it's the constant sniffling and playing around with his face, combined with a seemingly increasing inability to stay on topic. As with his lecture, "Cocaine, a New Opium for the Masses"

    http://www.lacan.com/zizekecologyvideo.html

    I find myself in agreement with a lot of what he says anyway, even the more fanciful stuff.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    THE YABBA
    Posts
    5,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fokse vektaire xeven View Post
    haha. yeah probably so... i dunno though...it's the constant sniffling and playing around with his face, combined with a seemingly increasing inability to stay on topic. As with his lecture, "Cocaine, a New Opium for the Masses"

    http://www.lacan.com/zizekecologyvideo.html

    I find myself in agreement with a lot of what he says anyway, even the more fanciful stuff.
    lol. the idea of zizek on crack fills me with total, absolute fear.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    lol. the idea of zizek on crack fills me with total, absolute fear.
    Zizek a cokehead? Lot's of things make sense under that hypothesis! Speaking of Lacanians, the Mirror Stage seems to have been confirmed in Magpies. Make of this what you will!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,866

    Default

    Heh, I thought the url said 'zizekology', which could presumably be a whole field of study in itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by fokse vektaire xeven View Post
    Also, why the painting of a half-naked woman in the background? ("Why not?", I guess...)
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post


    Also, why the painting of a half-naked woman in the background?
    ...bleeding from the pants. also distracting. i'm sure slavoj fucked the woman who gave the introduction straight afterwards as well. she is definitely hot for it. sorry this is devolving into a very unintellectual consideration of zizek's cultural contributions...back on topic i do like the fact he's a "messy" thinker, tangential and not afraid to contradict himself. easy meat for his detractors of course but i find it engaging. i also prefer hearing him speak to reading the books, a good orator with such a great voice and that way there's less of the crit theory academic jargon to struggle through

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Merseyside
    Posts
    3,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fokse vektaire xeven View Post
    i do like the fact he's a "messy" thinker, tangential and not afraid to contradict himself. easy meat for his detractors of course but i find it engaging.
    Yeah, I found a lot of the ideas interesting, like how modern western countries can be "liberal" but still shit on the poor and excluded, or how resistance can be packaged and sold, becoming part of the problem. Although... he spoke as if he was working towards a central point, but I couldn't really discern one, he didn't even talk about ecology for that long.

    I was expecting him to mention how as consumers, we are all encouraged to do things to conserve energy and resources like recycling or using more efficient light bulbs or reusing plastic bags, yadda, yadda... Which is all pissing in the wind because the only way large-scale enviromental damage can be stopped is by international cooperation on regulation of carbon emissions, which is never going to happen because governments are shit-scared of tanking their economies in a competitive global market.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post
    he spoke as if he was working towards a central point, but I couldn't really discern one, he didn't even talk about ecology for that long.
    Quote Originally Posted by fokse vektaire xeven View Post
    combined with a seemingly increasing inability to stay on topic
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 Body No Problem View Post
    Zizek a cokehead?


    the ecofad is a somewhat pernicious one as it gifts people an incredible sense of self satisfaction. i know people who feel genuinely salvationary and oppositional because they ride a bike and grew a turnip in their window box once. it is a pacifier of sorts and to that degree i take his point.

    would anyone agree with his formulation that capitalism's tipping point will come when the excluded form a critical mass and initiate a "low level civil war"? early manifestations being recent terrorist attacks

    meanwhile over in the music forum....

    Quote Originally Posted by nomos View Post
    zizek... put a donk on it

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •