Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Phenomenal Slavoj Zizek

Default The Phenomenal Slavoj Zizek

Slavoj Zizek has been around and about lately; reviewing Peter Hallward's book Damming the Flood in the New Statesman, pontificating on Tibet, and then Radovan Karazdic's poetry in the LRB, answering a Q+A in the Guardian, and, of course, publishing a new book.

http://www.newstatesman.com/books/20...istide-lavalas

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v30/n12/letters.html#letter5
    (and see Rebecca French's Reply)
    http://www.lrb.co.uk/v30/n15/letters.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...9/slavoj.zizek

What do Dissensusers think of his work?

Hahaha, awesome:

Quote Originally Posted by Slavoj Zizek
    Q. What does love feel like?

A. Like a great misfortune, a monstrous parasite, a permanent state of emergency that ruins all small pleasures.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

He answered me back on myspace so he gets more credit in my book than Thom Yorke, Kode9 or Gus Van Sant, who never.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    He answered me back on myspace so he gets more credit in my book than Thom Yorke, Kode9 or Gus Van Sant, who never.
    he has a myspace? that's so freaking cool. i wish all my favourite writers had myspaces.

An interesting and provocative thinker- though whenever i watch one of his lectures from the last couple of years everything about his delivery and mannerisms suggest he's nosed a half kilometre line of chong five seconds before he came on. it's really distracting. anyone else noticed that?

Would explain a lot. But not everything. Perhaps he's mixing kenny in with his nosebag.

Brad DeLong is the same by the way...

Quote Originally Posted by mos dan View Post
    he has a myspace? that's so freaking cool. i wish all my favourite writers had myspaces.
    Innit? It was him as well cos he sent me his address so I could send him stuff, it's little things like that that make me really happy.

I think he's just totally ADD rather than on the toot, you see him in that documentary and he's hyper all the way through. Big brain + no attention span = cultural studies.

I think he's just totally ADD rather than on the toot, you see him in that documentary and he's hyper all the way through. Big brain + no attention span = cultural studies.
    haha. yeah probably so... i dunno though...it's the constant sniffling and playing around with his face, combined with a seemingly increasing inability to stay on topic. As with his lecture, "Cocaine, a New Opium for the Masses"

http://www.lacan.com/zizekecologyvideo.html

I find myself in agreement with a lot of what he says anyway, even the more fanciful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by fokse vektaire xeven View Post
    haha. yeah probably so... i dunno though...it's the constant sniffling and playing around with his face, combined with a seemingly increasing inability to stay on topic. As with his lecture, "Cocaine, a New Opium for the Masses"

http://www.lacan.com/zizekecologyvideo.html

I find myself in agreement with a lot of what he says anyway, even the more fanciful stuff.
    lol. the idea of zizek on crack fills me with total, absolute fear.

lol. the idea of zizek on crack fills me with total, absolute fear.
    Zizek a cokehead? Lot's of things make sense under that hypothesis! Speaking of Lacanians, the Mirror Stage seems to have been confirmed in Magpies. Make of this what you will!

Heh, I thought the url said 'zizekology', which could presumably be a whole field of study in itself.

Also, why the painting of a half-naked woman in the background? ("Why not?", I guess...)
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post

Also, why the painting of a half-naked woman in the background?
    ...bleeding from the pants. also distracting. i'm sure slavoj fucked the woman who gave the introduction straight afterwards as well. she is definitely hot for it. sorry this is devolving into a very unintellectual consideration of zizek's cultural contributions...back on topic i do like the fact he's a "messy" thinker, tangential and not afraid to contradict himself. easy meat for his detractors of course but i find it engaging. i also prefer hearing him speak to reading the books, a good orator with such a great voice and that way there's less of the crit theory academic jargon to struggle through

i do like the fact he's a "messy" thinker, tangential and not afraid to contradict himself. easy meat for his detractors of course but i find it engaging.
    Yeah, I found a lot of the ideas interesting, like how modern western countries can be "liberal" but still shit on the poor and excluded, or how resistance can be packaged and sold, becoming part of the problem. Although... he spoke as if he was working towards a central point, but I couldn't really discern one, he didn't even talk about ecology for that long.

I was expecting him to mention how as consumers, we are all encouraged to do things to conserve energy and resources like recycling or using more efficient light bulbs or reusing plastic bags, yadda, yadda... Which is all pissing in the wind because the only way large-scale enviromental damage can be stopped is by international cooperation on regulation of carbon emissions, which is never going to happen because governments are shit-scared of tanking their economies in a competitive global market.

Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post
    he spoke as if he was working towards a central point, but I couldn't really discern one, he didn't even talk about ecology for that long.
    combined with a seemingly increasing inability to stay on topic
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 Body No Problem View Post
    Zizek a cokehead?

the ecofad is a somewhat pernicious one as it gifts people an incredible sense of self satisfaction. i know people who feel genuinely salvationary and oppositional because they ride a bike and grew a turnip in their window box once. it is a pacifier of sorts and to that degree i take his point.

would anyone agree with his formulation that capitalism's tipping point will come when the excluded form a critical mass and initiate a "low level civil war"? early manifestations being recent terrorist attacks

meanwhile over in the music forum....

Quote Originally Posted by nomos View Post
    zizek... put a donk on it