Lady Sovereign - the Grime test

dominic

Beast of Burden
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
I just like female MCs in general.

me too . . . . whether it's hip hop, grime, ragga, i likes the female mc's --

perhaps b/c female mc's reduce the testosterone factor of the music while preserving the rhythmic dynamism, the street edge, etc

when i have the money, i intend to start buying lots of gyal dancehall and female mc grime

AshRa

Is she the one that did that "Merk them fast merk them slow" tune? Twas pretty funny I thought...

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I just saw the random remix video.

Her voice and vocabulary is cringeworthy. I just can't take any of it seriously from someone that white and english.

Fiddy

Logan Sama said:

Her voice and vocabulary is cringeworthy. I just can't take any of it seriously from someone that white and english.

I've had this problem with you for years. Bah.

theres two many ways to gun sovereign its too easy man - too many levels of wackness lol.

But at 4,000 plus views this post shows that love or hate her shes got ppl watching her moves........

hint

party record with a siren
DJL said:
Verbalicious is a CDUK-friendly Lady Sov.

at least the purists will be happy cos she's paid her dues on the street.... coronation street, that is. :p

lady sovereign - the grime test - 4,300 views
favourite grime MCs - 1,100 views

hmmmm...

gumdrops

Logan Sama said:

i agree she can be a bit cringeworthy but 'that white and that english'? shes not exactly tara palmer tomkinson is she? ;)

anyway, whats the difference between sov doing it and the white guy from SLK? what makes him more acceptable? the fact that you probably wouldnt guess he was white unless you saw a pic of him?

luka

shabba d would be a better comparison cos he tries to sound jamacin whereas van damage just sounds like a coked up cockney. hype hype!
it's an interesting question.

gumdrops

i know some people expected bruza to be white before they saw what he looked like cos of his ridiculous cockney exaggerations....

Plasticman

I don't think this is a discussion as to who is the whitest etc. with regards to "the white guy in SLK".

I think a lot of people don't feel sov due to the accent she uses when she spits. Whether she's white or black that voice is a proper marmite one. U either love it or hate it.

Sov is definitely grime. But she is definitely not a flagship artist by a long shot. I'm glad the UK press are taking notice of grime - whoever it may be getting the column inches. But I must admit i do frown every time I read her described as one of the biggest things in the grime scene.

She is not one of the biggest things IN the grime scene however she is definitely one of the biggest grime artists in the music industry.

I hope I haven't confused matters further. Basically I'm stating that Sov is not big to the grime followers who attend the raves and buy the records. But she is one of the biggest names affiliated with grime due to Casual records excellent work and PR with her.

My personal opinion on Sov is that she is definitely marketable - she sticks out like a sore thumb. However her sound isn't totally true to herself and for me - one of grime's biggest attributes is the fact that 90% of the time you're getting real people, real life, real stories behind the tracks and the lyrics and the voices spitting.

Sov is a wicked lyricist but I'm not 100% sure of her jamaican yardie accent. And for me, the mc's voice is 70% of the package.