ever been to Morrocco?

zhao

there are no accidents
casablanca? tangier? marrakesh? fez?

i know next to nothing about the country or what is happening there now - but have the chance to be there for 10 days next month.

in my imagination it's super psychedelic fun master musicians strong hash good rai wicked eurasia fusion flavors beautiful afro/arabic women dancing all night in seedy clubs...

any info/advice appreciated.

trouc

trouc
this isn't going to be helpful, but I had a friend who went there maybe 8 years back. she spent a lot of time in the desert, loved it, but said every single meal tasted exactly the same. i think the first thing she did when she got back was eat an entire large pizza hut pizza... pretty silly actually.

petergunn

plywood violin
i've been to Morrocco, but i am slightly agro about giving travel advice AS NO ONE RESPONDED TO MY TORONTO THREAD!!!! i was on my own in a sea of polite canadians...

ANYWAYS...

yeah, i went to marrakesh for a few days a while back... i didn't go to any clubs or anything, but i imagine there actually are some... i mean, i know there are ridiculously expensive hotels there that cater to rich europeans, so they gotta go somewhere at night...

if you speak French, you are so golden... otherwise, 90% of the people who speak english want to sell you something... too bad, as the people seemed very cool and friendly... in marraskesh, there is a def. police crackdown on unlicesnsed guides and stuff, to the point where some people i was talking with were wary about being seen with me in public, b/c basically the cops could bust them on the premise that they were hassling tourists... Fez, i think is a little more wild...

just doing "tourist stuff" like walking around the bazaars, touring old buildings, and stuff is neat... there is a main plaza there that at night fills with food vendors and the locals do indeed go there and you can fill your boots on lamb kababs, roasted peppers, cous cous, and bread for a few bucks... then in other sections of the plaza, there are all sorts of performers, from snake charmers and fakirs (well, dudes who walked on broken glass) to amazing amazing musicians... some of the best life music i've ever seen... and of course there is indeed hash around...

i'd go if i were you...

Kate Mossad

Went to Tangiers in the '90s, very heavy and best avoided. Spent some time in Marrakesh a few years ago which was great, recommended.

Lichen

the central square in Mkesh is called the djem el fnaa

catching the day/dusk/dawn transition there is very cool.

there's a big cafe above the square where you can watch it all unfold.

there are plenty of tourists about but it's still a sight to behold and there was nothing inauthentic about the food stalls that spaing up everywhere

I stayed in a pretty swanky hotel in the desert outside the city in a village called Tigmi. You could prolly get lunch, a beer and a swim there for relatively little. It's in an amazing old Berber building . Nearby in the Atlas foothills was the beautiful Lake Lalla Takerkoust. I remember seeing very cool tee-pee type semi permanent tents up there. Maybe you could camp under the dessert stars there?

I'm sure some canny google work would net you a phone number a cafe up at the lake and its only an hour or so M'kesh.

Kate Mossad

@zhao

"Heavy" in that I was hassled non-stop from the moment I got off the boat, got involved in a dodgy drug deal against my will ( the dope was AMAZING though) I was also robbed at knife point and basically run out of town. It was a pretty intense three days!

zhao

there are no accidents
posting from madrid enroute to casa right now...

lichen, that sounds sweeeeeet. i will look for what you have mentioned...

dope pics john. i will try to take some good ones as well.

re: kate´s tail -- that´s what i love is people can have drastically different experiences. others have told me it´s nothing but genuine hospitality and good will in all the big cities... but the element you speak of must exist as well and i will be careful... my friend who is already there (indian babe) absolutely confirms the behavior of the men though: cat calls non stop from morning until night. drives her crazy... hopefully it will get better after my arrival.

lamb kababs here i come!!! :D

oh anyone know where are some good places to shop for The Rai in these cities?