Neo-Nazi forum hacked

mos dan

fact music
that's fascinating, though the link with all the hacked info is all in german:

http://de.indymedia.org/2008/08/225641.shtml

if anyone speaks german would they care to summarise? like, what can they actually do with this info? publicly expose nazis? apparently prosecutions will be difficult cos the info was obtained illegally. is it more intended to be a 'disruptive' bit of anti-fascist activism, than one leading to prosecutions?

speaking of which, are Anti Fascist Action (AFA) still active in this country?

crackerjack

if anyone speaks german would they care to summarise? like, what can they actually do with this info? publicly expose nazis? apparently prosecutions will be difficult cos the info was obtained illegally. is it more intended to be a 'disruptive' bit of anti-fascist activism, than one leading to prosecutions?

Presumably, but since membership of explicitly pro-Nazi organisations is still illegal in Germany (it is, isn't it?) the info could be very useful to authorities, even if they can't just waltz into a courtroom with the list and bang them all up.

john eden

male pale and stale
AFA is no longer active in the UK.

Many people in the group saw the way the BNP was going in the mid-90s (local politics, denazification, populism) and felt that physical confrontation was out-moded. I.e. - what is the cost/benefit analysis of duffing up an elected councillor?

These discussions lead to the formation of the Independent Working Class Association:

http://www.iwca.info

However physical opposition to fascism continues with the Antifa group:

http://www.antifa.org.uk/

mos dan

fact music

Many people in the group saw the way the BNP was going in the mid-90s (local politics, denazification, populism) and felt that physical confrontation was out-moded. I.e. - what is the cost/benefit analysis of duffing up an elected councillor?

makes sense. interesting legacy of some bygone battle in Antifa's manifesto here:
SEARCHLIGHT

We will not work with, accept information from, nor pass information to the so-called anti-fascist magazine/organisation Searchlight, and we will not work with individuals who have any connection to them. As an organisation that works hand-in-glove with State agencies, we cannot trust them or the agenda they pursue. Their influence within, and manipulation of, militant anti-fascism has been deeply divisive over the years, their methods and involvement with State security services are well documented and entirely incompatible with our own position.

splitters! ;)

john eden

male pale and stale
As for the data, we can't really know what can be done with it if we don't know what it is. Nobody would get very much from hacking this forum (i.e. Dissensus) except perhaps email addresses.

On the plus side, most of these neo nazi groups play at wannabe terrorism and treat security very seriously. So this will, at the very least, be hugely embarrasing for them.

mos dan

fact music
As for the data, we can't really know what can be done with it if we don't know what it is.

well we - as in you and i - don't know what it is, but if we spoke german and could be bothered we could find out. they made it all available to download in an 800mb zip file! it's on that link i posted upthread, german indymedia.

zhao

there are no accidents
it's like a big zit that finally pops :) and all the puss and disgusting shit inside can be rather fascinating huh

if there is something specific you want to know i can get a friend to help.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man

These discussions lead to the formation of the Independent Working Class Association:

http://www.iwca.info

The Independant Working Class Association makes no attempt to define what a working class person is.

How can they run an organization for a section of society which they make no attempt to define {or limit membership of the organisation to}?

:confused:

They say that it would take months to evaluate the data, so they offer a complete mirror of the hacked forum incl. private messages, photos etc. for download so you can have it on your harddrive and do with it what you want. No further info what about what the hackers want to do with it.

straight

wings cru
i found it really unnerving on a recent trip to berlin how many skinheads in nazi insignia covered waistcoats were on the streets. They did seem to be quite polite to the middle eastern woman serving them coffee though

john eden

male pale and stale
The Independant Working Class Association makes no attempt to define what a working class person is.

How can they run an organization for a section of society which they make no attempt to define {or limit membership of the organisation to}?

:confused:

It doesn't seem to have been an impediment to getting them elected in Oxford.

mos dan

fact music
It doesn't seem to have been an impediment to getting them elected in Oxford.

tyro's right though, it is a ridiculous name/idea. are middle class people not allowed to join their revolution? (or at least, do they have to pretent to be proles?) would lenin and trotsky have been banished for being bourgeois?

straight, i'm pretty gobsmacked at that. would you care to elaborate? were they just hanging out, these skinheads? quite relaxed and all?

is wearing clothes with nazi insignia illegal in germany, actually?

mos dan

fact music

*looks at shoes*

no, i hadn't.

"we believe the working class make up the majority of people in Britain"

in this they agree with a book about the english i just read by julian baggini called 'everytown', . he maintains the mainstream of english culture remains firmly working-class, that widespread embourgoisiement is an (urban) myth. straying wildly away from 'technology' now, sorry.

zhao

there are no accidents
is wearing clothes with nazi insignia illegal in germany, actually?

GF tells me there is a shop in the heart of Mitte (central berlin) which specializes in neo-nazi gear. it opened a year or 2 ago, and is still there. i wanted to stop by there one day but it wasn't on the street she remembered and we were late. i still plan to go there and check it out at some point. (maybe with my big ethiopian friends)

mos dan

fact music
GF tells me there is a shop in the heart of Mitte (central berlin) which specializes in neo-nazi gear. it opened a year or 2 ago, and is still there. i wanted to stop by there one day but it wasn't on the street she remembered and we were late. i still plan to go there and check it out at some point. (maybe with my big ethiopian friends)

christ how strange. is this the right wing equivalent of ostalgie (nazalgie?), like a weirdly naive appropriation of the imagery, or are these people fully-paid up nazis? i also don't get how you can sell neo-nazi gear in public without the authorities watching your every move and/or shutting you down.