CERN Large Hadron Collider big bang experiment

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The LHC is a particle accelerator located on the France/Switzerland border; it has been dubbed the largest, most expensive, most powerful experiment ever attempted, certainly dwarfing all particle colliders ever built before, both in terms of size and power.

I think it's quite telling that they haven't done their homework very thoroughly: the LHC is exactly the same size as the LEP collider that was built at CERN in the '80s, since it's been constructed in the old LEP tunnel.

On the subject of comparisons to existing colliders, experts in the field say that the production of mini black holes is theoretically more likely at RHIC (the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider on Long Island) - which has been running for some years already without so far destroying the earth - than at the LHC.

Something I'm surprised physicists don't mention more often in their own defence is that ultra-high energy cosmic rays smash into the earth's atmosphere all the time, causing collisions with energies ten or a hundred times higher than those that will occur at the LHC, and that if this was likely to bring about the apocalypse it would presumably have done so by now.

dHarry

Just read an interview with one of the CERN dudes who points out that the the black-hole-ocalypse probability is close, but not quite zero - just like it's theoretically/statistically possible for you to pass through a wall as a wave, given that the probability is not quite zero, but is it going to happen? (well, maybe if you really really concentrated and summoned up your magickal forces; salvia might help... )

swears

preppy-kei
...just like it's theoretically/statistically possible for you to pass through a wall as a wave, given that the probability is not quite zero, but is it going to happen? (well, maybe if you really really concentrated and summoned up your magickal forces; salvia might help... )

Well, the distances between atoms are huge relative to their size. So, if you lined up every atom in your body exactly between every atom in the wall, you could pass right through easily.

swears

preppy-kei
Yeah, and if the atoms won't comply you can persuade them to move out of your way with a fucking massive hammer.

swears

preppy-kei
I think CERN destroying the world is the Republican's "October surprise". Better everybody in the world dead than a buncha goddam pinkos in the White House, eh?

don_quixote

Trent End
one of my friends is in bhutan and was crapping herself when they got evacuated about a 'huge earthquake' that was about to happen. then they realised it was panic about cern black holes and had to give everyone a lecture on particle physics.

CRAZY

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Black holes are awesome. When I was learning about them in some undergrad maths courses in general relativity and cosmology I remember being blown away to learn that as you cross the event horizon (the proverbial 'point of no return') the radial space axis and the time axis swap over, so the direction of the singularity becomes the 'future', with a definite end point, but the radial direction extends infinitely, as we usually think of time as doing.

The night after that lecture, I dreamt about how this would appear to someone falling into a black hole. It was pretty cool.

don_quixote

Trent End
Why was this ‘built’ underground? Simple, it does not exist. It’s a big con.

It’s the same reason India/Pakistan allegedly conducted nuclear explosions underground simply because they never happened in the first place. Why? Because nuclear bombs don’t exist and they never have existed. FACT!

Hollywood and the people behind Hollywood (the rich elite race) came up with the propoganda to fool the ‘Sheople’. They’ll keep taking your money though to fund their lavish lifestyles.

Philip Coalman

hahaha, comin' up trumps

http://ifyoulikeitsomuchwhydontyougolivethere.com/2008/09/19/nuclear-bombs-dont-exist/

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hahaha, 'sheople'...you can tell that anyone who uses that word is WELL into their skunk and System Of A Down.

swears

preppy-kei
It’s the same reason India/Pakistan allegedly conducted nuclear explosions underground simply because they never happened in the first place. Why? Because nuclear bombs don’t exist and they never have existed. FACT!

Fucking hell, if only.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I thought that internet crackpots were supposed to tell unpalatable "truths" not nice cosy ones that would make everyone feel better.

That's what 'they' WANT you to think...

Also, I just noticed the classic HYS rhetorical device in the guy's comment: the word 'fact' in capitals. Which, as we all know, makes statements 124% more true. FACT.