Paying for this forum...it's cough up time!

Woebot

Hi everyone, it's me, the shadowy presence behind this forum! How am I? Very well thanks. Busy on my projects, earning a crust, being beaten in by my children.

-

I've been keeping my half of the bargain, the forum is updated to the latest version of vBulletin's software (3.7.3 Patch 1), every week it is backed-up, I've dealt with a few name change enquiries, a few site reboots, and am currently getting the bug fixed whereby new people can currently not sign on here.

However, we are one month away from October 12th which is the date by which I need to raise $500 for the server hosting fees. As per my portentous valedictory at www.woebot.com <b>the deal was that folks here would need to raise *at least* $250 in contributions for me to keep the site up and running next year.</b> Otherwise I pull the plug.

<i>I'm not going to look at:
(a) moving the site to another server (it works very well) or
(b) handing it over to someone else to run (because as far as I'm concerned having a forum like this is, completely untainted by vested interests, with absolutely no hands-on leadership is the very model of how forums should be run)
So please don't ask!</i>

Contributions please to my Paypal account:
alias@hollowearth.org

<b>Would people also please leave a note here of how many dollars they've contributed. No fibbing or exaggerating now!</b>

-

<b>***NEWSFLASH***

We have now reached the $250 target! Yay! Wow, well done everyone, that was exceptionally quick. The forum officially stays open.
But like the man said on Blue Peter, the appeal isn't closed yet. Whatever I receive over and above the $250 is money I don't have to spend myself towards the $500.

Also, to clarify why this seems like quite a lot of money, Dissensus aint hosted on any old wickedy wack piece of webspace, no sirree, because of the processor-intensive nature of it being a popular(-ish) forum, we're on a VPS. They're more expensive, but if it were on anything less the site would crawl. See here: <url>http://asmallorange.com/services/vps/</url></b>

----------

Thanks to everyone who donated.

That was a total of $374 meaning I only had to contribute $126 (ouch!)

-

If anyone harbors a burning desire to help out naturally I will accept further donations.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've sent $10 - if twenty four more people do that then I guess we're good to go, otherwise I can contribute more if necessary.

D

droid

EDIT - Uncharacteristic change of heart alert.

Donation made.

Last edited by a moderator:

john eden

male pale and stale
We can argue the ins and outs of Matt's way of doing things, but he's said it's not up for debate - presumably to save himself any more aggro/time wasting/work.

$10 a year isn't a lot of money to keep this place going and doesn't even require all the regular users here contribute.

So - $10 from me also.

[relurk]

nomos

Administrator
$10 from me as well. small price to pay for all the time i waste with you lot in a year ;) i'd do more but i've got my own hosting too.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
10 dollar from me, and more than happy to pleasure some old blokes for cash if we fall short toward the end of the month.

D

droid

We can argue the ins and outs of Matt's way of doing things, but he's said it's not up for debate - presumably to save himself any more aggro/time wasting/work.

$10 a year isn't a lot of money to keep this place going and doesn't even require all the regular users here contribute.

So - $10 from me also.

[relurk]

Yeah - thats fine. No argument from me.

dHarry

everyone stop contributing and see how much mistersloane can make! ;) you could go door-to-door like a sponsored charity run type thing :p (never thought about that emoticon like that before...)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
everyone stop contributing and see how much mistersloane can make! ;) you could go door-to-door like a sponsored charity run type thing :p (never thought about that emoticon like that before...)

hahaha "hi, I'm from an internet forum called dissensus and I'm offering you a once in a lifetime blowjob opportunity for the princely sum of just TEN DOLLAR!"