IdleRich

IdleRich
I dunno. But I think that writing is so fundamental a part of literature it can't just be window dressing.
I keep trying to go to bed and getting sucked back into things, but I'm really gonna go now. I will say something about it in less of a hurry when I wake up hopefully.

version

Wait a minute, have you got this? I thought that this was the thing I ordered in 2019 but which they still can't deliver. What the fuck?
The first link I posted, the one sufi's responding to, is the intro. Notice the main comic's called Chronosis and the link goes to Chronosis: Exordium,

exordium​

noun
ex·or·di·um | \ eg-ˈzȯr-dē-əm
Definition of exordium
:
a beginning or introduction especially to a discourse or composition

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't know which one I've ordered and when it is ever going to turn up if at all and I don't really care.
And I meant to respond re Borges. Maybe it's cos I like his stuff and I'm biased but I don't really accept that description of him as just some ideas. I think they way it's written so lucidly and elegantly makes the whole thing fun and beautiful. You might say that the writing style is window dressing but I think it's something more fundamental than that.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh yeah I did didn't I sorry. I think I've just sank further into the slough of despond since this morning and hence I'm coming out with sulky teenage bullshit like this. I do think it's a pisstake that when I ordered it they said it would come Dec 2019 or Jan 2020 and I still haven't got it so It's The Reza I'm angry with, sorry if that kinda leaked out on to you.

version

No worries. Apparently people have been waiting years for that collection Urbanomic are publishing and they still don't have a publication date. Maybe that's the thing you preordered and not the comic?

sus

That end scene in Scanner Darkly where the guy tries to OD on barbituates, instead takes a bunch of psycs... That'll haunt me to my dying day

sus

Yeah, Freck! The creature had many eyes, all over it… it carried an enormous scroll. «You’re going to read me my sins» Charles Freck said. The creature nodded and unsealed the scroll.

catalog

I was actually thinking I should read some more dick, I was listening to the Erik Davis audio book chapter on him and nearly bought the Timothy archer book afterwards.

And I did like valis when I read it on holiday a few years ago, cos I was in that sort of mood, where I had nothing else on my mind and could sit inside all the mad and paranoid style.

But when I read a scanner darkly, I just felt the world closing in on me, I got very sick and tired of the characters and the general mood. It didn't chime for me in any way.

Started to find plot holes and I know it's over for me when that's happening, when I read it pedantiacally ("why is he doing that, what's the point?")

My friend was recommending ubik as something a bit different. So maybe that or Timothy archer at some point.

sus

Luka's AWOL because he's so engrossed by my piece. Catalog you should read it too.

Ubik is genuinely great though. One of my favorite PKDs.

catalog

In both Bad Wisdom and Wild Highway it's actually the chapters by Zed (ie Mark Manning from Zodiac Mindwarp) which are the insane and delusional explosions of gonzo madness, Drummond's chapters actually provide a relatively serious grounding counterbalance which give you some idea of where they really are and what is actually going on.
I didn't bother reading that book in the end, cos I only had it as a PDF, might try to track it down again now

catalog

Luka's AWOL because he's so engrossed by my piece. Catalog you should read it too.

Ubik is genuinely great though. One of my favorite PKDs.
That site loads a bit awkwardly on my phone, very thin paragraphs for some reason. I'll read it on laptop later.

luka

it;s very hard to read like everything you write you should write in a more laidback uncle style then people might read it

• Sad
Reactions: sus

luka

it has a forcefield around it that pushes the reader away. its impossible to gain access.

Reactions: sus