Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Cyclonopedia

He's a really terrible writer, but has good ideas

'a scanner darkly' what an awful reading experience. Film also dogshit.

I agree he's great, I just really dislike his writing style.

I hated Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Good ideas, shit prose.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Dick is a brilliant writer
    Is it fair to say, in other words, that you love Dick?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    'a scanner darkly' what an awful reading experience. Film also dogshit.
    I haven't read the book, but I like the film.

Was chatting about it the other day with a friend. I remember it as really boring. Like I had a 'is that it?' feeling. Robert Downey Jr was underwhelming and I can't even remember the other actors. My friend was saying the rotoscoping did his head in and seemed showy/pretentious. I think 'dazed and confused' is my favourite linklater film. Big film when I was a teenager. Saw it again recently, it's good but not as good as then.

Re dick, I did read 'valis' a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised, but even then, I remember thinking that it took him ages to say something worthwhile. He writes in a very matter of fact way with loads of unnecessary detail . If you wanna get massively bored really easily, read the exegesis.

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    Was chatting about it the other day with a friend. I remember it as really boring. Like I had a 'is that it?' feeling. Robert Downey Jr was underwhelming and I can't even remember the other actors. My friend was saying the rotoscoping did his head in and seemed showy/pretentious. I think 'dazed and confused' is my favourite linklater film. Big film when I was a teenager. Saw it again recently, it's good but not as good as then.
    It's Keanu, RDJ, Woody Harrelson and Winona Ryder, also Rory Cochran plays Freck - the guy who thinks he's covered in bugs.

I guess it is pretty uneventful, mostly a group of junkies milling about, but that doesn't bother me. I also quite like the rotoscoping, it really works for the scramble suits and the way everything's constantly shifting around in general seems appropriate given how paranoid the whole thing is, plus it lets them do fun stuff like having Downey and Woody morph into giant insects.

a-scanner-darkly-robert-downey-jr-insect.jpg

Yeah maybe I'll watch it again. I did like a bit of 'waking life', the bit with the Israeli film guy going on about bazin.