Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
the next ill-advised revival movement: Chavinese art!

stillchavart3.jpg

cabclav.jpg

90px-Cabeza_Clava_Chavin.JPG

chavin~feline~barakat.jpg

The Chavinese were based in coastal Peru and have roots predating the Egyptians, Sumerians, etc. They had no military and their society was built around semi-annual rituals utilizing advanced acoustics and psychedelics (yopo/DMT and mescaline). Get on the bandwagon now ;)

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Never seen this Chavinese stuff but I like it :) The south and central americans art traditions immediately made sense to me once I tried hallucinogens, but especially the organic ones like mushrooms peyote mesc, etc. That first picture looks like what the sky looks like on an organic trip, only it moves.

I've always wanted to travel to Peru, where the coca grows wild and the ancestors of the Incas still chew it.

mask2.jpg

I know some people who've been to Patagonia and they loved it.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

Even if the "divide" between the East and West is fictional, so many of our values are. Everything is fictional. Race is a fiction but people insist that it's biologically based. Many people believe that race as a fiction is so embedded in our culture that no amount of science will wrest it out.

culture=our fictions

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I agree, but one of the most impressive/interesting things I ever saw in a museum was that big Babylonian wall in that museum in Berlin that has all the building facades in it."
Weird I was just reading about that in a newspaper article about ten minutes ago.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, that kind of semi-abstract Meso-American/South American art is incredible, and very psychedelic - I remember a parade of Mayan/Aztec deities and related imagery on my first mushroom trip, though some of it was kind of Ankor-Wat inspired too.

On a yopo tip, that stuff certainly does the trick but BY GOD it commits noserape on you when you snuff it. :mad:

Edit: anyway, enough drug nerdery. Zhao, let's forget the Greek/Persian bust-up for now, there's a whole world of ancient/early mediaeval European art and architecture that owes nothing to Graeco-Roman culture. Stuff like this...

Clocmacnoise_Crozier.jpg

...and this...

350px-Sutton.Hoo.ShoulderClasp2.RobRoy.jpg

...and this...

ImageVaultHandler.aspx

...and this...

newgrange-entrance-slab.jpg

...and this...

ps260149_l.jpg

OK, so a lot of the Celtic Art stuff has been co-opted by the psytrance-and-pink-dreadlocks brigade with more or less horrific results, but much of the original stuff is absolutely incredible.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

Good idea, Mr. Tea.

The Celts are cool if you can whittle away the various layers of fantasy novel reading pseudo-Wiccan cheese and realize what a cool tribe they really were. I always think of them when I listen to Hawkwind.

luka

christ zhao you ae actually a walking breathing cliche. the real thing in its purest form.
a comedy character devoid of any self-awareness
haha i'm sure what i said about Greek Art feels like blasphemy to your indoctrinated brain

dont you ever feel embaressed?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Good idea, Mr. Tea.

The Celts are cool if you can whittle away the various layers of fantasy novel reading pseudo-Wiccan cheese and realize what a cool tribe they really were. I always think of them when I listen to Hawkwind.

Yeah, but as I said, they were really a whole load of not-too-closely-affiliated tribes that had related languages and cultures.

Apparently they invented soap a good couple of centuries before the Romans got hold of the idea. So much for dirty, smelly barbarians. :)

nomadthethird

Yeah, but as I said, they were really a whole load of not-too-closely-affiliated tribes that had related languages and cultures.

Apparently they invented soap a good couple of centuries before the Romans got hold of the idea. So much for dirty, smelly barbarians. :)

How different were the languages I wonder?

Romans invented a sewer system way before anyone else, though. They also had pretty racous orgies.

nomadthethird

You couldn't possibly ever dream of having an orgy without a sewer system.

Between psychotropic veggies and Celtic new-ageism, maybe it's time to do a little dance with a Sheela Na Gig.

Romans were pretty decadent but not in a fun psychedelic way, more in an aggressive militaristic gluttonous incestuous way.

for some reason, I assumed Sheela Na gig were Norse when I saw them...unless there are Norse ones as well...?

nomadthethird

That would have been a great freshman course, "Comparative Decadence in Ancient Cultures" ...

Wesleyan probably has one.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm sure it's most comfortable for you to conceptualise it that way.

This is religious art.

But we're talking about cultures where psychedelic/hallucinogenic drugs played a vital role in religious ceremonies. Have a quick google for 'entheogen' - or 'teonanacatl', 'ololiuqui', 'ska pastora', 'peyote', 'ayahuasca', 'Brugmansia', 'Anadenanthera'...

Last edited: