Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dalston/Hackney/Stokey news

Quote Originally Posted by mos dan View Post
    which in turn is like west london, i.e. gross (sorry ufo).
    yeah but churches big ben values gardens rah rah rah

Off-topic but still kind of on-topic, in "The One," Lewisham has the best Liverpool pub in London. Which, as a relocated scouser, is a very great thing.

But yes, the loss of any pub is a really bad thing. Fuck a homogonised (sic) All Bar One citadel to be frank.

"innit lol. personally i moved to dalston from balham because dalston is more like the balham i grew up in than balham is.. balham is now like clapham, which in turn is like west london, i.e. gross (sorry ufo)."
    One of my friends is looking to move into a house share in Hackney or thereabouts at the moment and he's finding that every house he looks at is filled with "creatives" who seem to look down on him because he works in the building trade instead of the media.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    One of my friends is looking to move into a house share in Hackney or thereabouts at the moment and he's finding that every house he looks at is filled with "creatives" who seem to look down on him because he works in the building trade instead of the media.
    Well they can all be unemployed together soon - except your mate will be unemployed while the creatives will be 'working on a project'.

speak for yourself.
    yeah i know too close to home, im sorry. i don't live in hackney, never have. i live in sydney, grew up in stratford.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    yeah i know too close to home, im sorry. i don't live in hackney, never have. i live in sydney, grew up in stratford.
    yep.

Anyone been to this place called The Working Rooms on Kingsland Road? Seems to be an art gallery/club space but I'd be interested to know what it's like?

Have you ever considered moving to the suburbs of Belfast? They've got off licences and everything. everynow and again you come across a Spar. Simple pleasures

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Anyone been to this place called The Working Rooms on Kingsland Road? Seems to be an art gallery/club space but I'd be interested to know what it's like?
    How far up?

Just north of the canal I think. It might actually be that it is just off the main road but that it has a KR address.

"Have you ever considered moving to the suburbs of Belfast? They've got off licences and everything. everynow and again you come across a Spar."
    What like a naturally heated outdoor swimming pool? Sounds cool, we have to make do with lidos.

The best pub is actually in Bow but no one dares speak of it.

Quote Originally Posted by oliver craner View Post
    The best pub is actually in Bow but no one dares speak of it.
    I'm all ears! There's a couple of half-decent boozers around here but I dunno about the 'best' pub. The Palm Tree is ace but that's more Mile End than Bow.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    I'm all ears! There's a couple of half-decent boozers around here but I dunno about the 'best' pub.
    Really? Do tell...

Palm Tree is ace, agreed, but the others are some way short of half decent, imo. I pretty much never go for a pint round Bow.

The Bow Bells is actually not too bad, it's fairly cheap and has some decent beer and a pool table. There's often big-screen footy which I don't go in for but others you might, I dunno. Then there's the King's Arms almost opposite, a real Irish pub with real Irish people - a couple of my housemates went there the other day and the barman, who was a bit pissed, asked them if they lived locally and, if they did, why he hadn't seen them there before! They asked him for a packet of crisps, but he was clean out of crisps so he offered them some peanuts from the pack he was eating. Hot whiskeys are available which are great when it's nippy, and I've met friends there who were watching a premiership match with Arabic commentary since they were showing it on al-Jazeera to avoid the Sky fees.

Up Coborn Road, there's the Morgan Arms which is admittedly a wanky gastro job, although they do a decent pint of Timmy Taylor's. Not eaten there, though I hear the food is very good (albeit at proper restaurant prices). On the same road there's the Coborn Arms, a much more normal working class 'proper pub', though it's Young's so there's respectable beer, including the amazing Double Chocolate Stout. Cheap (i.e. cheaper-than-off-licence cheap) offers on bottled beers for take-out, or at least there was last time I went. Dartboard. Decent music (if you like Hendrix!).

I've been to the Little Driver a couple of times recently, but the beer's not very well kept and last time I was there they called last orders at 10.38 and hustled us out the door at 11.04! (Yes, I was that annoyed I remembered the exact times - OK, I'm a sad git, so sue me.) Looks nice inside, though.

So yeah, there's a few half-decent pubs, although when I can be arsed I will always go to the Palm Tree for preference. There's a good chippie on Grove Road that can be visited en route there or back, which is an added bonus.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 14-10-2008 at 02:20 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Which is the Palm Tree? Is that the little one by the canal that has music on in the evenings on a weekend and grass where you can sit outside on a sunny day?