droid

Holocaust was surely incredibly influential in mainstream filmmaking & horror?. Years ahead of its time.

droid

Not massively keen on Tenebrae except for that amazing long crane shot that moves around the house, and the last scene of course.

droid

I forgot to ask, why are you not keen on Tenebrae?

I like gaillo with a touch of the supernatural. Tenebrae is artfully shot, full of tension and has some brilliant scenes, but its also a laughable transparent pulp thriller. Of course, this is the main thread of the entire genre, but I prefer the horror/extreme angle.

Shocked that youve never seen Cannibal Ferox. You should check out 'la Casa 3' - itll put you off Lenzi for life.

craner

Beast of Burden
There's a few films I've been too scared to watch. Ferox, is one of them and the D'Amato gore movies I mentioned. Anyway, I decided to finally knock these off my list and report back. This is probably an emotional backlash to my neorealist self-education. I need technicolour madness again.

droid

Im the exact opposite. Bava, Lenzi, Argento, Fulci, Berutti, Deodato, D'Amato. All video nasty and almost nothing worthy.

craner

Beast of Burden
It's the turn of the 80s gore stuff that scares me. I'm not a gorehound. I don't even like horror movies, as such. But I love high style and strong visuals, which is why so many of the films I love are Italian horror movies. But it's a wide spectrum.

I was terrified about the prospect of watching Cannibal Holocaust, but I knew it had to be done. And, of course, it's a stunning film. I'm quite alarmed at the idea of Anthropophagus and Beyond the Darkness, but, again, having suffered a variety D'amato exploiters I owe it to myself to sit through his two, uh, 'classics'. Ferox because it's Ferox, canonical in its way, not to be avoided any longer.

Actually Beyond the Darkness plopped through my front door on the same day as Tales of Hoffman, which seems like a striking contrast.

Re: Tenebrae, following your explanation, I'm still surprised you don't like it. It's a little bit more than a pulp thriller. I would think the main reason for disliking it is that it's so meta-; at the end of the day, the whole thing has huge quotation marks hanging around it.

droid

Re: Tenebrae, following your explanation, I'm still surprised you don't like it. It's a little bit more than a pulp thriller. I would think the main reason for disliking it is that it's so meta-; at the end of the day, the whole thing has huge quotation marks hanging around it.

Suspiria was the first Argento film I saw*, and two scenes - the head witch breathing behind the curtain, and the blind man being savaged in the empty piazza by his possessed dog - had a supernatural intensity which I think spoiled more mundanely themed Gaillo for me. Not that I don't like tenebrae - its brilliant in many ways - I just dont love it.

*Actually, this was the first: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trauma_(1993_film) Suspiria was the first proper Argento.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Cannibal Ferox, by the way, was highly entertaining, first time around. Second time around, with the audio commentary switched on (this was the uncut Grindhouse release I was watching) was even more entertaining. Umberto Lenzi, on set, asked poor Giovanni Lombardo Radice, who was hating every minute of it anyway, to stab a pig to death for a scene in the film. When Radice refused, Lenzi said "Robert de Niro would kill this pig!" To which Radice replied, "Robert de Niro would kick your fucking ass all the way back to Rome."

craner

Beast of Burden
I watched a really good giallo called The Red Queen Kills 7 Times made by Emilio Miraglia. It was very entertaining, more on the campy side than the sleazy or the sinister, but with lots of beautiful and effective visuals. It's hard to guess how it's going to end, too, mainly because the way it does end makes no sense. And that's not me using a figure of speech, it really makes no sense. If I wanted the ruin the film for you by telling you who did it and why, I couldn't. That sort of thing doesn't bother me, though.

I was surprised by how good it was, and, quite frankly, by its quality. I mean that's obviously qualified by the fact that this is an early '70s hokey Gothic giallo, totally ludicrous and trashy...but, I have seen enough dull duds in this vein over the last couple of years to be thrilled by the real deal again. (In the Folds of the Flesh? Don't even bother going there.)

It's pacey, jumping from scene to scene with vim and colour. Lots of colour - I got the Eyecatcher DVD, which is one of those cleaned-up but still a little grainy rescue jobs from the '00s when they always used to saturate the fuck out of the picture, which generally make these films look as lurid and sexy as they should. This is my favorite sort of look; it's amazing how depressing the glummer gialli like Aldo Lado's can be when they miss this vibrancy.

All of this is helped along by a vintage Bruno Nicolai score, as gorgeous as it needs to be without putting too much effort in.

There's a surpise recurrence of this flat from The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh:

Wardh.jpg

There's Barbara Bouchet in peachy form, eyes as big as saucers, and Pia Giancaro wearing an amazing pair of hexagonal spectacles. Part of the action is set in a fashion house which is really helpful, because it means that all the women (including the Red Queen who kills seven times!) spend most of the film prancing around in fanastic '70s haute courture concoctions, when they aren't naked.

There's loads of great things going on in this picture, I could go on about it for ages. I think there's even a message there somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

Keeping this one.

Last edited:

droid

Hey Craner - look at this:

http://www.eventbrite.ie/e/devils-n...-profondo-rosso-late-club-tickets-17424879283

Event Details
On Devil's Night, Claudio Simonetti's Goblin return to Dublin to perform a live soundtrack double-bill to two of the most crucial horror films of all time - Dario Argento's Suspiria & Profondo Rosso (40 year anniversary). Prior the screening of Profondo Rosso, Claudio Simonetti will be in conversation with Chris O'Reilly, Head of Cinema, Triskel Arts Centre. Support comes in the shape of exclusive new horror AV shorts from Stefano 'Giallo' Galvino. This is a fully-seated performance.

Running Order
Goblin - Under a Blood Red Knife
19.00 Claudio Simonetti & Chris O'Neill in conversation
19:45 Goblin Profondo Rosso screening & live soundtrack
21:45 Interval
22.15 VJ Stefano 'Giallo' Galvino [Film Ireland - Verona]
22.30 Goblin Suspiria screening & live soundtrack
After the screenings, the disco starts to burn across two floors with...
Devil's Night Disco
Auditorium
22.00 Barry Donovan [Lunar Disko - Knocklyon]
00.00 I-F [Viewlexx / Intergalactic FM - The Hague]
02.00 The Horrorist (LIVE) [Things to Come - New York]
Theatre
Umberto (LIVE) [Not Not Fun / Death Waltz - Los Angeles]
Everything Shook (LIVE) [Dublin]
Kenny Hanlon [Apartment Records - Monaghan]

Really cant afford it, but dont see how I could possibly miss it.