Sci-fi must-reads and must-views

MrFence

Oh the humanity.
Greg Bear - Blood Music is one of the best SciFi books ever, and it's got a relatively contemporary setting. I'd highly recommend the Novel, but the short story in the 'Tangents' collection is excellent too, and there some of the other stories in there are wonderful too, especially the one about 4 dimensional beings and music.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
ah old thread

i just watched "on the silver globe" last night (or this morning)
batshit! stunning picture. based on the lunar trilogy by zulawski's uncle, jerzy zulawski----can't find that anywhere.

another scifi film not mentioned here: 2046!

recently read Eden by Stanislaw Lem
tore through it

i understand it got ripped on earlier in the thread but i liked Jeff Noon's Vurt books myself; good for reading on mushrooms i would imagine

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
^ reading poetry on shrooms or acid is the best

especially if it is poetry for the page like ee cummings

all the letters float around and swirl

on my first acid trip i had scrawled "language is a veil"
still not sure what it means while sober but whenever i am enlightened it makes sense

what's that Li Po (iirc) poem about the revelations one has when drunk are forgotten/inaccessible in the light of day? ah, i will find it...

ummm...

Lessons of Darkness by Werner Herzog------considered sci-fi by Herzog

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
oh and THX1138
waltermurch.jpg

helps to take some DXM first

DannyL

Wild Horses
Greg Bear - Blood Music is one of the best SciFi books ever, and it's got a relatively contemporary setting. I'd highly recommend the Novel, but the short story in the 'Tangents' collection is excellent too, and there some of the other stories in there are wonderful too, especially the one about 4 dimensional beings and music.

Thirded. Absolutely amazing.

Bruce Sterling's Schizmarix is one of my favourites. Everything that is fantastic about spac opera and cyberpunk SF all in one book. So great, so many ideas ... though unfortunately he doesn't live up this success in anything else I've read. I feel he gets so excited by ideas he loses control of the plot, mostly.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Ursula LeGuin _the Dispossesed_ (as mentioned) and _The Left Hand of Darkness_
Octavia Butler the Xenogenesis trilogy, starting with _Dawn_
Tricia Sullivan _Double Vision_ and _Maul_ (which starts out pretty raw but it bonkers in a mostly good way)
Molly Gloss _The Dazzle of Day_ (quakers in space! no it's cool, really)
Maureen McHugh _China Mountain Zhang_
Sherri Tepper _Grass_

yes, to most of these :)

more in the quaker sci-fi "sub-genre":

Joan Slonczewski - Still Forms on Foxfield and The Wall Around Eden

actually all her books are worth reading. A Door Into Ocean and Brain Plague are probably the best.

others:

Marge Piercy - Woman on the Edge of Time
Doris Lessing - The Sirian Experiments (the best of the five-book Canopus in Argos series)
Suzette Haden Elgin - Native Tongue (the first of a three-book series)
James Tiptree Jr (Alice Bradley Sheldon) - Her Smoke Rose Up Forever (collection of short stories)

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Not trying to be provocative but I could give a shit about Ballard and got bored of PKD years ago. Tried to reread some of the Valis trilogy again recently and wondered how I ever got through any of it.

Just sticking my oar in really to recommend Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun. It's my favourite book besides Moby Dick.

jenks

thread death
Just started reading China Mieville's The City and The City - not usually my genre but am enjoying it - read 70 pages in bed this morning and looking forward to returning to it.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Just started reading China Mieville's The City and The City - not usually my genre but am enjoying it - read 70 pages in bed this morning and looking forward to returning to it.

I'm currently reading that too :)