Sound Cloud

ether

I'm quite intrigued by this, seems like it could be a hassle free way of sending and receiving unreleased tracks, any one managed to use it yet?

john eden

male pale and stale
I quite like the idea of being able to insert an mp3 player into blog posts, but can't help feeling that they will end up having bandwidth restrictions like everyone else or introducing a paying service or whatever.

hint

party record with a siren
I've been using it for a few months.

It's very slick and a great idea, but the pricing is surprising.

ripley

I'm on there and it is pretty. not much to share but it's acting a bit like a dj pool as well.

hint

I'm on there and it is pretty. not much to share but it's acting a bit like a dj pool as well.

Yes - that's the main selling point, I think. All the community stuff. Sharing and discussing your own tracks with artists / DJs / labels on your friends list.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
It's a nice idea and from what I've seen so far they've implemented it well. Admittedly I'm not likely to be getting mad exclusives from many people, but it looks like it would make managing such things very easy indeed. Also the public aspect of it does it's thing better than myspace / virb / whatever, so that's an added bonus. I only signed up half an hour ago, but it's pretty good thus far.

I think their current pricing plan is probably quite sustainable actually, they seem to have quite a lot of 'pro' users, and even those paying the least can presumably support a number of the free users.

5 uploads a month is enough to archive my radio shows there plus some random mixes and the like, so free suits me.

http://www.soundcloud.com/unsettla if anyone's interested...

hint

I think their current pricing plan is probably quite sustainable actually, they seem to have quite a lot of 'pro' users, and even those paying the least can presumably support a number of the free users.

They gave everyone involved in the beta free pro accounts for a limited period. Will take a few months before it becomes clear exactly how many people have decided to start paying.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Ok, well that changes things slightly, what level of pro did everyone get? I've seen people with all 3, I assume at least some of them handed over cash.

ripley

Oh I meant to add I love you can comment on the soundfile and tie it to a particular section of the waveform. so you can say "i like this bit here" and actually tag the bit you like. Seems like it could potentially bring out the collaborative aspects of listening/playing/making.

hint

Ok, well that changes things slightly, what level of pro did everyone get? I've seen people with all 3, I assume at least some of them handed over cash.

Yes - they gave out the 3 different levels according to how long you'd been part of the beta, I think. I got the orange one.

I agree that some people will have definitely paid. It's a great idea and well executed. Perhaps hard to justify if you're already paying web hosting fees though.

ripley said:
Oh I meant to add I love you can comment on the soundfile and tie it to a particular section of the waveform. so you can say "i like this bit here" and actually tag the bit you like.

Also good for posting up radio shows / mixtapes and using the timeline for the tracklisting.