yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
That's Manny and myself, J-Cush 'MAKE ME FEEL' which'll probably be on Manny's album on Lit City.

--

3rd World was made back in 1998. It's a fine example of how long the style has existed. Clent started Beatdown with Rashad, Spinn, Magik Myke....and maybe DJ Spyda (not 100%, but he's not around anymore anyway)..That was arguably the first production clique that was making straight footwork. Everyone was making trax on their own before hand, Arpebu, Traxman et all included

Thanks! Cool track man, really dig these grime crossovers. I heard it in the Rinse FM Hyperdub show last week, I believe someone recommended it here in this tread and I'd like to second that: http://podcast.dgen.net/rinsefm/podcast/HyperDub140212.mp3 (skip to the last half hour). I think I also heard it in the Ayshay Fact Mix, also recommended: http://www.factmag.com/2011/12/05/fact-mix-307-ayshay/

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Whats the track in the kode 9 set that samples Funkadelic's (Not just) knee deep?

Wish there would be a tracklist of that last thirty minutes. There's a bit where you hear the Lil Wayne - A Millie lyrics over some hybrid juke/jungle track or it could be two tracks, anyway that part is fire!

Benny Bunter

That is DJ Clent - Clent's Knee Deep. Came out in december. Such a good tune.
http://www.junodownload.com/products/moveltraxx-presents-let-me-see-your-footwork/1878374-02/

Cheers!

I know azziza and the other chicago guys posting on here have caused a bit of kerfuffle on here in the past with their strong (biased) opinions, but I think they have been proved right in the long run. Clearly the best Juke music is by Rashad, Spinn, Clent, Traxman, RP Boo...time has proved this. If you go back to the start of this thread Nate and Roc were the ones getting most of the props but they are not on the same level as this stuff. If you look at those Planet Mu comps it is quite clear what is the real deal.

Checked out Lil Jabba the other day and really, why bother with him if you can listen to Ghetto tekz? Don't bother listening to lil Jabba when you can have the real thing, seriously.

Can't wait for the rashad album now...

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Wish there would be a tracklist of that last thirty minutes. There's a bit where you hear the Lil Wayne - A Millie lyrics over some hybrid juke/jungle track or it could be two tracks, anyway that part is fire!

Traxman did the A Millie track, no? Love how it loops the "I'm a venereal disease" line round and round.

Benny Bunter

Brilliant. Very illuminating piece and very nice to see the acknowledgement of hip hop in full force from Rashad and Spinn. I think the best, most vibey Juke stuff has that classic hip hop style sampling sensibility. The Rashad/Spinn stuff is basically like golden-age era hiphop with a new rhythmic framework after all.

Case in point, absolutely genius rework of a Roy Ayers track from Rashads last LP

after this

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Traxman did the A Millie track, no? Love how it loops the "I'm a venereal disease" line round and round.

Yea that's the one. Got a link to it or a track title? Man, I so hope Rashad is hitting Holland during his next tour in Europe (april?). A good set of juke is so powerful, need to hear it live.

drilla

Juke Treatment Wish List:

1. Autechre - Pro Radii
2. Early/Mid period Godflesh
3. Martin Denny - Exotica
4. Throbbing Gristle
5. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
6. Afrika Bambaataa - Planet Rock
7. Early Cat Power
8. The Fall - U.S. '80s-'90s
9. Phil Spector Productions
10. The Knife
11. ABBA/Ace of Base/The Cardigans

Get to it y'all. I might try 3 later tonight

rrrivero

Brilliant. Very illuminating piece and very nice to see the acknowledgement of hip hop in full force from Rashad and Spinn. I think the best, most vibey Juke stuff has that classic hip hop style sampling sensibility. The Rashad/Spinn stuff is basically like golden-age era hiphop with a new rhythmic framework after all.

Case in point, absolutely genius rework of a Roy Ayers track from Rashads last LP

after this

faaacking brilliant indeed

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
incidentally, I'm quite happy that Rashad likes a Jamiroquai song because this makes my secret shame easier to bear.

outraygeous

Went out on Friday and the 'DJ' played Juke/Footwork

I didnt see anyone doing the dance, just weird 'hipster' hand movement dances.

tom lea

Checked out Lil Jabba the other day and really, why bother with him if you can listen to Ghetto tekz? Don't bother listening to lil Jabba when you can have the real thing, seriously.
what a fucking stupid attitude to have

it's like saying why listen to shackleton when you could listen to dmz.

there's loads of wicked stuff from non-tekz producers about: jabba, eq why, dj roc, leatherface, young smoke, elmoe (tho i don't think he still makes footwork, right?). why would you not listen to the rest of it just cos you like one clique the most?