jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
jabba's sick, and actually a tekk by proxy (sort of) if I'm not mistaken?

rashad definitely rates his tracks, and i think plays them out...slick shoota's also. don't really think that the chicago DJs are nearly as cliquey as a lot of ppl would make them out to be...

the track 'acid alarm' in this TRIBE video is fucking next and the producer's from japan (!) -

Benny Bunter

what a fucking stupid attitude to have

it's like saying why listen to shackleton when you could listen to dmz.

there's loads of wicked stuff from non-tekz producers about: jabba, eq why, dj roc, leatherface, young smoke, elmoe (tho i don't think he still makes footwork, right?). why would you not listen to the rest of it just cos you like one clique the most?

Oh god, keep forgetting you´ve gotta watch what you say round here nowadays...just ignore me. All i wanted to really say was I don´t rate lil Jabba, thats all.

Benny Bunter

http://www.egotripland.com/dj-rashad-dj-spinns-10-favorite-sample-flips/ < this will be of interest to Benny, the first pick is that Ed O.G./Roy Ayers flip you mentioned (unless this link is what sparked that discussion in which case ignore).

yeah thts what started the discussion, but from reading that again I now see Rashad has flipped that sample twice. He used in a very different way for his track 'Roy Ayers show' as well 'We run it'. I love articles like this one.

Last edited:

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
yea hold tight benny, and nice 1 for speaking ur mind don! obviously jabba's a bit odd and the ghettotekkz do the most straight up gutter / funk-y footwork tracks out there still, so sort of with you on the sentiment there... but jabba's sick. he's got these great tribal and warp records sounding influences, and yea, as I say, he's managed to get in with the tekkz guys to some extent off the back of it. i really like this one - http://soundcloud.com/lil-jabba/shotgun

it's a bit like distance or vex'd with the original dubstep lot i guess...what's cool is that, like with the early dubstep stuff, the tekkz DJs will play stuff by these outsider producers as well as their mates, if it sounds good enough (jabba, slick shoota, umbertron (?)...). EVEN THOUGH they still haaaate on flight muzik or tribe haha! (who are just a lot younger really, as far as i can see...it's not just crew rivalry...those guys are like 5-10yrs younger and all trying to be like the tekkz...)

tom lea

Oh god, keep forgetting you´ve gotta watch what you say round here nowadays...
hardly. not here to fight, just thought it was a pretty dumb comment - no matter who it's applied to.

anyway, that Egotripland piece is brilliant, as is the whole series (wasn't aware of them til now!). i know it's obvious and it's been done a ton before, but i love that Rashad flip of Bobby Caldwell, when Just a Taste came out i just had that one track on repeat for about a fortnight.

rrrivero

EVEN THOUGH they still haaaate on flight muzik or tribe haha!
why they gotta hate on flight muzik? :( That is referring to DJ Diamond, no?

also, does anybody know what beef they have with Chrissy Murderbot nowadays? That's just intriguing as not too many moons ago he was collabing with Spinn and throwing a night with Dave

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
yea diamond, young smoke and metro i think...aziza's said it before on here, but i think it's mainly because they're a lot younger and use dodgy samples, space imagery, fruity loops etc...same reason they resonate so well with ppl over in the UK i reckon, ironically enough!

mike mu gets his scope PERFECT in his sets i reckon, really representing with lots of tracks from the young guns out there that would be criminally critically underrated if it were'nt for mu (it really is only him pushing any of them right now...)

well worth checking out his recent 'afro-futurist' boiler room mix just for the landslide of super future unreleased young smoke tracks at the start -

Click here to see it on Mixcloud

ARRRGGHHH! so good! all the unreleased tekkz bits too after! amazing!

as for the murderbot thing - they were trolling the fuck out of him on that same boiler room show, you couldn't get a word in on the chat room and they kept calling him 'murderfag' really really embarassing. some lame excuse given like he said that he would put stuff out for the tekkz guys but then didn't or something...seemed really really petty.

rrrivero

yea diamond, young smoke and metro i think...aziza's said it before on here, but i think it's mainly because they're a lot younger and use dodgy samples, space imagery, fruity loops etc
not in the uk, but still loving the space samples. One thing I've heard them say is that the younger guys don't make music you can dance to, and this may very well be true in that you can't dance to it like you do to more traditional forms of footwork. Idk, it's something that came up in the juke documentary where some of the older dancers were recounting looking at younger generations and being like 'ey they just kickin they feet, that aint dancin'. Some of these alternative juke/footwork artists aren't really making music to battle to, though I guess they can also seem a bit too soft and safe, "intelligent", which is what most people were complaining about in the post-dubstep thread in regarding younger producers in the UK scene.

edit: Young Smoke mix was decent, but the moment that Rashad track came on was the moment I lifted my eyes up from my Angry Birds game like what is this brilliant work of art right here then. Just can't compete with the Tekkz when it comes to raw heat

Last edited:

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
I wish someone could point me out to these apparently more straightforward footwork tracks based around simple piano loops and that have this kind of melancholic feeling to them, if you know what I mean? Already pointed out to this Bishop guy, who seems to be untraceable and this DJ Ro track might be a good example too. I'd say Sully also fits with these guys.

Last edited:

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Also, does anyone have some info on DJ Earl - Lie? Seems to be from 2010 but never released. Would love to have it.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind

Should've said unreachable I guess. I'm aware of his profile on Facebook and I've tried contacting him twice but never got a response. Apparently his tracks were up for sale/download at a place called imeem, but that seems to be non-existing now. I know of one guy at DSF who managed to get them back in the days but he's not willing to send them, which is understandable. I'll just periodically bring the subject up in the hope someone will have them up for download or sale, really wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for them.