Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Pretty sure DJ Slugo's Godzilla Track is the forerunner to juke, both with its style of sample chopping (esp. with a lot of the orchestral samples in some of this new stuff), and with the skittering drum fills.

(video has nothing to do with the track)

The newer stuff (much of which is quite wonderful, great thread) is not miles away from this, more emphasis on the toms with maybe a bit more dirty south influence on 808 fills. The pitch-shifting derives from Kanye helium sampling and screwed&chopped, the two biggest contributions to denaturalizing sound science by hip hop this decade (though both techniques precede the '00s, they didn't really go pop until then).

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Yay Gavin good to see yer again

Cheers! Woebot's donation plea and some nice comments from Zhao on my blog came at a time when I've felt socially unsatisfied, so here I am, just in time to download some great tracks from this thread.

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
that gant man track seems a bit too consolidated for me, like a return to house rathet then the weird tangent departure that most other juke seems to be

this one is one of the weirdest pieces of music at the other end of the juke spectrum, so minimal and edgy, loefah eat your heart out

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

fuck that burn em all
live and let die
thats what you do when youve got the flow
no holds barred, erase them

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
that gant man track seems a bit too consolidated for me, like a return to house rathet then the weird tangent departure that most other juke seems to be

this one is one of the weirdest pieces of music at the other end of the juke spectrum, so minimal and edgy, loefah eat your heart out

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

fuck that burn em all
live and let die
thats what you do when youve got the flow
no holds barred, erase them

Nice one. I like his track "Fuck Yo Favorite DJ"... need to be more tracks on that theme!

Ory

warp drive

jesus christ

smooth r'n'b vocals, then drops like a bombshell into those dark, dramatic strings. amazing.

Last edited:

4NR

Also, I should note: I go to school in South Side Chicago (The University of Chicago to be precise), so these guys probably don't live too far from me. I'll see what I can find.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Also, I should note: I go to school in South Side Chicago (The University of Chicago to be precise), so these guys probably don't live too far from me. I'll see what I can find.

If you do I'll give you my sister/brother to marry. And some camels.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual

Cool, I used to live in HP and DJed at WHPK for a couple years.

I think some of these footwork battles are at community centers on the West Side... davequam.blogspot.com has been following this a bit, might be a resource.

I used to get overpriced mixtapes at the Bassment on Division & Ashland, never any of the recent pitchshifted teen stuff though. I heard Ford City Mall has some too (plus you can pick up an airbrushed T-shirt while you are there).

4NR

thanks for the info, Gavin.

I realized today that a few tunes off "Where Were You in 92'?" could probably sit nicely, if a bit awkwardly, next to Chicago juke. Notably, "pillz", "hench", & "G.T.I"

thc

thc
Steve-O vs. Stepz -
Some good tunes on this one. I especially like the three tunes from 1:36-5:22. Some crazy stuff.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
the first track there is HOT. Sorry, I'm losing the thread of this tho - who is Lil B? Is he the same as Gant Man? :slanted:

He's a rapper who was in the hyphy group The Pack. And now is deep into the bloggerati scene apparently, working that internet sensation angle. He gets written up at (and he comments on) Cocaine Blunts. And he has a book!

http://www.basedworld.com/?p=1043

From the scattered tracks and terrible mixtape I've heard, his new style needs some more time in the oven, which must mean something because I love plenty of lo-fi homemade shit.