doom

Public Housing
How does imeem work!? I just created a log in n that, but still don't get anything that looks like a player, never bothered with it before cos my connection was so shit!

elgato

I just dont know
functionally complex in that it is designed to inspire ever more impossible foot-work.

this is exactly what i was thinking last night, its so heavy... people associate functionality with rhythmic compromise or whatever, but because of the specifics here its pushing the complete opposite direction

Thinking about this, I think its because the feedback loop is so confined, there is a real narrow intensity at work, where a minor deviation on an established theme gets driven so mercilessly to its own ends, ideas run away with themselves... or suttin.

yeh definitely. also i reckon the fact that its focused on the dancing, so as well as the general drive for the new in producers there's a more direct and tangible driver for making more and more twisted and contorted tracks

when you click on the links below do you not get a player?

http://www.imeem.com/djlilred/music/TAYcYjXL/dj_nate_see_into_my_eyes/?rel=1
http://www.imeem.com/djlilred/music/jN67ipJ7/dj_nate_i_surrender/?rel=1
http://www.imeem.com/djlilred/music/8i1DUnfF/dj_nate_cant_tell_me_nothinmix/?rel=1 <<< this one is rowdy, less twisted but still completely crazy

all those pitchshifting vocals make a lot more sense thinking about the dancing now too

Last edited:

Pestario

tell your friends
fuck yes

werk dem bangz :mad:

these tracks, esp the ones which have no kick drums, just deep bass, have a groundless, zero gravity feel to them which suits the dancing completely - it's as if the frantic footwurk is an effort to stay afloat among deep bottomless rhythms

sorry I just love this stuff

U-Basstard

tragic mix
Hellllll yeah! huge respect for all the vids and tracks on this thread, you've just blown my tiny mind. i'll give 100000 monopoly £s to whoever finds an outlet for this stuff. Do any Chicago heads on here have any clues?

psherburne

Damn, this DJ Elmoe stuff is great. Really weird and buoyant. Those pitched-down claps create a wonderful sense of drag against all the hyperspeed toms. And where those stuttery vocals used to really bug me, they're so intense here that you can't help but submit. This shit is truly out there. Check out the bass line on "You Got the Fuck Knocked Out"!!

doom

Public Housing
DJ Clent & DJ Rashad are ill!

Its wierd, the youngers don't seem to care that people outside of the circle may be interested in their music, I think Bok Bok was tellin me he contaced DJ Nate on myspace & got no response.

Some of these tunes are proper OTT emotional as well;

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

These kids are a bees dick away from actual blows at times - watch the kid with the striped shirt dance his opponent out of the circle!

& they all dance faster than the cheap digi-cams can capture, which along with the un-synced / un-related soundtracks give these videos a really eerie quality, like music vids for Holger Czukay tunes...

when you click on the links below do you not get a player?

Wierdly not in firefox... but I do in IE.

minikomi said:
never any big drops to release what builds up, just constant pressure.

This is the most jarring aspect as well! Goes aganist the grain of what is maybe the most fundamental aspect of dance/club music. Maybe related to the way the dancing isn't, or doesn't seem to be structured in any formal way, there is no start, middle & end, the dancers float in & out over the top of the beat, doing routines as long as physically possible until it collapses, then start over.

Its really 'difficult' music as well, it sets up a bunch of parameters & challenges the listener to keep tabs on multiple threads.

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
Its wierd, the youngers don't seem to care that people outside of the circle may be interested in their music, I think Bok Bok was tellin me he contaced DJ Nate on myspace & got no response.

yeh i contacted DJ Roc and likewise no response, definitely get the impression from that and the myspaces and such that they simply don't care about exposure outside their locale. pretty refreshing to be honest!

This is the most jarring aspect as well! Goes aganist the grain of what is maybe the most fundamental aspect of dance/club music. Maybe related to the way the dancing isn't, or doesn't seem to be structured in any formal way, there is no start, middle & end, the dancers float in & out over the top of the beat

yeh absolutely. its so hypnotic. its ridiculously hype and totally meditative at the same time, one of its many incredible qualities and apparent contradictions

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
i emailed dj nate on his myspace about a yea ago saying his tracks were good he kinda vaguely mentioned selling mixes thru myspace

elgato

I just dont know
there is actually a mix for sale on DJ Nate's myspace, on something called SNOCAP, underneath the myspace player under 'General'. haven't bought it yet but i intend to

doom

Public Housing
is it a mix or this is just how the track sounds?

I'm gonna go with track, just cos it lasts so long & is kinda all in time & coherant - totally a product of fruity splicer tho! I think that is a big part of alot of the chopped up & looped parts, the ablity to easily load a full song & have it being chopped up, but without sample accurate editing of the splices, so the these big chunks of audio are used.

elgato said:
pretty refreshing to be honest!

Totally!!!

Its not like you could really slide it into a mix if you were able to pick up the odd 12" as well... altho;

http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF1375918-02-01-03.mp3

elgato said:
its ridiculously hype and totally meditative at the same time

YES!!! which relates to;

bassbeyondreason said:
I can't even place the BPM on some of these tunes.

Cos they are building the tunes, inbetween all the differant parts, its a totally instinctive music.

All the Juke I have is 160 bpm, but really only the sub & hats are that the rest is kinda 80 & 120 or some other wierd division.

bassbeyondreason said:
This stuff is doing what everyone pretends "wonky" is!

But Juke is alot harder to listen to!

doom

Public Housing
Yeah, mixtapes is what there about rally huh!? SNOCAP is US only last I checked.

Rashad has some nice new bits on JunoD/L tho - Juke Trax was gettin abit much halfway thru last year, just putting up EP after EP with 16 tracks a piece without much quality control.

This 'Hornz n Shit' is a banger tho!

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Excellent stuff and some Jute/footworks tunes (which is totally new to me) are
available on iTunes+ and Amazon MP3 shop,

DJ Solo - Chicago Juke Music Vol 1
DJ Thadz - Chicago Juke Music Vol 2
Dj Roc - Juke City Series - ie
DJ Thadz
Police crashing a party - and this guys channel http://fr.youtube.com/user/WALACAM

Last edited: