amadoriv

on the topic of the dance style being essential to the tunes... i've just started clocking footwork and juke properly and haven't been as excited by the raw energy of a movement since early grime days. i'm djing at a regular club night soon and would love to drop some, but i feel uk crowd would struggle to dance to it. everyones well locked in to the 4x4, 120-140bpm groove. i think the night slugs shit (which i rate so hard) is prolly more accessible for uk club crowd right now, but i'm still gonna try real hard to work in some dj nate / dj roc and other tunes i've been listening to obsessively. on a side note i think the free party and festival scene over here is gagging for it.. especially if mixed in with some tropical shit, bubblin/ragga/jungle or whatever. got me looking forward to summertime alot. thanks to everyone in here for the education (special shout out to dave quam, your blog is DOPE!!)

nnazem

I do want to bring out a few dancers for a show(case) at some point in SF.. it's such a big part of the culture it would be weird for the music to go any farther (beyond chicago) without the footwork.

like you said, it would be great if there was a little more of a framework to track the dancers, but maybe I just haven't done my homework to see what dancers belong to what groups and such.

This may not go with all the footwork dj's, but Spinn N Rashad got into music because they were in the legendary Wolf Pac footwork crew. And they can still get down.

And when they go out to Europe, they'll have 2 footworkers with em, one is AG, the guy who made the crowd go nuts on that one EB & Kees VS AG & Litebulb video:

and the other is Que:
thats not his best video ever, but that was him straight out of retirement, so yeah, it was expected he would only be able to put in one good round. In any case, that one round he put in was fuckin phe-nom-en-al!

But yeah, especially to staypuft, if you ever need some footworkers to come out to SF, we'll be out there in a heart beat!

didn't read the whole thread being as it's 38 pages long, but i've dug on the juke/ghetto house jams for quite some time. Growing up in Baltimore you hear urban influenced dance music everyday on the radio. The "ghetto continuum" if you will... Even listening back to ghetto house tapes from the 90's still makes me wile out in my car. It really pleases me to see a resurgence of these styles. Bmore club saw some new faces the last couple of years and it's about time Chi town got some freshness. Ive found myself walking through the grocery store saying " get money and juke" over and over again. big up all the cats reinventing the juke sound, keep on keeping on!

dave quam

Thanks

Thanks a lot for reading the blog, I hope people have found some good tunes on there. I am just a huge fan of the music but I'm starting to meet these djs and footworkers thanks to Neema, who is one of the hardest working people in the city no doubt. DUDE DOESN'T SLEEP! Definitely doing a ton for the scene.

Also, I apologize for some of the mp3s I post on the site that are lower bitrates than desired for playing in the club...A lot of the old dance mania stuff I have is vinyl rips and not my own. I have some records I need to rip, but a lot of the stuff I have found is already available digitally (deeon, slugo ect).

Whats awesome is that I've never paid more than 5 dollars for a dance mania record here...you can find them in places that don't specialize in dance music for cheap, though not super frequently. Though I'm not at liberty to say where I get em...

Keep reading and I will keep trying to provide some knowledge and tunes from this scene.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
on the topic of the dance style being essential to the tunes... i've just started clocking footwork and juke properly and haven't been as excited by the raw energy of a movement since early grime days. i'm djing at a regular club night soon and would love to drop some, but i feel uk crowd would struggle to dance to it. everyones well locked in to the 4x4, 120-140bpm groove

I've heard Footcrab played in clubs a few times and folk have always danced to it (not in a footwork stylee though)

nnazem

Treat of the Week

Yoooooo! Hung out with RP Boo & Dave Quam last night, and was able to get you all a lil present.

www.mediafire.com/?3jmdowwrmyt

For those that don't know who the hell the artist is, just listen to the mix, and you'll know.

This is one of the dopest fuckin mixtapes of alllllll timmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Enjoy people.

Last edited:

gumdrops

well there's one for sale on discogs actually, but for 50 fuckin pounds?! That shit sells here for 10 bucks, at most.

I'll talk to Traxman, and get you a copy. While I believe Slugo owns the rights to the cd, I don't think he would mind traxman givin away a promo.

that would be great.
thanks very much.

echevarian

babylon sister
I was in Chicago this weekend and saw the Footwork Kingz at a half time show.

They had some tight moves together, too bad they did it all to a soundtrack of Linkin Park.

Don't know if they've been mentioned in this thread or not, but hey, they're pretty great.

tom lea

we've got Rashad playing the FACT/Night Slugs do on June 4, at Cable.

Room 1: Mala (DMZ), Fiedel (MMM/Berghain), Scuba (UK live debut), Deep Teknologi, Altered Natives, Spatial.

Room 2 w/ Night Slugs: DJ Rashad (Chicago), Seiji, Lil Silva, Subeena, Bok Bok and L-Vis 1990, Jam City, Girl Unit.

tickets are £6 advance, so no excuses.

Richard Carnage

well there's one for sale on discogs actually, but for 50 fuckin pounds?! That shit sells here for 10 bucks, at most.

I'll talk to Traxman, and get you a copy. While I believe Slugo owns the rights to the cd, I don't think he would mind traxman givin away a promo.

Would also love a copy of this if possible. The only DM mix I have is the Robert Armani one (t/l can be found here: http://www.discogs.com/Robert-Armani-Dance-Mania-Records-The-Mix-Compilation/release/195362) on a 128/192kpbs mp3, which I can dig out if needed. Got about 45 of the Dance Mania twelves as well - if should really knock up my own mix soon!