Page 31 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Juke

Quote Originally Posted by grizzleb View Post
    Just been listening to that Girl Unit thing on Night Slugs. Sounds alright innit, but I dunno how much I like the juke sound being watered down and reappropriated to become the hip thing in london for six months. Which I could see happening. One of the things I like about this is the fact it's really localised and you can only get tracks on IMEEM, whatever.
    agree

i'm not too too taken with the Girl Unit stuff, but i have no problem at all with UK types dabbling with the sound. I have yet to hear an example that i would confuse with Juke proper, and i am pretty grateful for that.

if you take Addison Groove for example--it's pretty slow relative to a lot of what the young Juke producers are doing, and in fact it really sounds like a logical extension of what he was already doing as Headhunter. Just take a track like In Motion and drive it a bit faster and your really not far off.
    For another more obvious, and maybe less satisfying example of kinship, think of when the bass beats start to double at the end of Circling from Appleblim and Peverelist. Or 2562's Enforcers. There's no reason for the sounds not to influence each other, because similar elements are in play, imho. and in the case of Addison Groove, i wouldn't speak of it as being watered down... just different.

anyway, i was just about to moan that those Elmoe tracks were spotted at the beginning of this thread, and that i was worried that maybe he had stopped producing or something, becos' since then there hadn't been a sniff... and believe me i was looking hard for a while there... but lo and behold i went to check today and he has a new myspace page with a bunch of new beats!

http://www.myspace.com/ielmoe

the dabbling doesn't really bother me - it's more the false advertising as juke...like what happened with baltimore club via hollertronix, where the signifiers remain but in a more clean, populist club friendly format. and the original guys who don't want to sacrifice their rawness don't get to cash in. it's probably too early to speculate much about this kind of shady appropriation, but plundering of vital inner-city genres has happened before - i want to see all of the chicago guys get their dues first.

Quote Originally Posted by drilla View Post
    01_-_dj_elmoe_-_werkin_in_da_circle_-_whea_yo_ghost_at_whea_yo_dead_man.mp3 - 5.66MB

17_-_dj_elmoe_-_werkin_in_da_circle_-_dragon_bangz.mp3 - 11.97MB

19_-_dj_elmoe_-_werkin_in_da_circle_-_jazz_werks.mp3 - 4.77MB

he has a tendency to be deeper and spacier than others... kind of a cross between larry heard and j dilla in my *-addled mind... mileage may vary but enjoy the taste
    These tracks are something else. I've heard one or two on youtube I think.

I'd be up for those rips too drilla, that would be amazing

Default juke

yeah, I would say that Girl Unit using SOME elements of juke for his music is a bit less 'watering things down" than someone making a track called "Footcrab", which has more similarities to Waxmaster's "Footwork" than GU tracks have to anything from Chicago. I love Girl Unit and I like Footcrab too and neither of them really strike me as fucking anything up. Can we also say anybody making funky is just "watering down" Caribbean music? I don't find that to be a very productive conversation (nor do I think that's true). There's nothing wrong with being influenced by elements from the music if you do something appropriate with it. A different situation maybe but the ghetto house guys didn't just invent their sound out of thin air, and I'm willing to bet money they wouldn't me mad at anybody giving them props.

BBU on the other hand is much more to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenk View Post
    the dabbling doesn't really bother me - it's more the false advertising as juke...like what happened with baltimore club via hollertronix, where the signifiers remain but in a more clean, populist club friendly format. and the original guys who don't want to sacrifice their rawness don't get to cash in. it's probably too early to speculate much about this kind of shady appropriation, but plundering of vital inner-city genres has happened before - i want to see all of the chicago guys get their dues first.
    Wow man, you guys worry about the same shit we do!! haha. but seriously, that is one of our biggest concerns as of this point. We don't wan to be angry one day because some fake ass kids "reppin" juke try to be on TV and claim they are from Chicago, and can tell you about everything juke. That's currently happening, but I don't think these people are going anywhere.

And another concern is that it'll become popular for a short period of time, and then fade away, like Bmore. I gotta admit though, even after the fad of Bmore, I still love that shit, and talk to DJ Tameil and DJ sega on the regular. They're actually tourin with us for a bit while we're out in the UK!

But with the whole juke being taken by those who know nothing of it, believe you me, we're not gonna just be left in the dust. In fact, bok Bok is doing a show with them in Paris, Rashad may be doin an event with the Night Slugs folk, and a lot of things are in the works with Headhunter for Spinn N Rashad. Murderbot is our guy, and he's the main reason why a few guys in the UK have gotten into the juke/footwork stuff, and will probably be the reason why Spinn N Rashad will be working with folk in the UK.

So trust me people, we're already building shit up so that the guys who get rich off of it will be us as well as people like Girl Unit, and Headhunter.

On that headhunter track, we all know the reason his track is called footcrab is because he's not fully knowledgeable about the Chicago scene, but I'm not gonna hold it against him for still makin a pretty hot track. Honestly, the main reason why we, me, spinn & rashad like it is because it takes our style, and does something different with it. Now if he were to go around and claim that was juke, he'd have my flyin to Bristol for a word or two. But really, he's usin the style, and he's totally tweakin it to fit his own style, something most DJ's out here don't even try. Our biggest problem out here is simply no one wants to try and do anything new with the sound, they just sit around, make some of the same repetitive shit, they don't wanna put any work into their sounds, or they just wanna sound like everyone else. Headhunter & Girl Unit is a fuckin breath of fresh air for us!

While I can't stand here and say someone would ever footwork to either track, at least its not someone trying to make a footwork track in Estonia, and whose exposure to the footwork scene is nothing but the shittiest tracks that no one out here even listens to. I'm not even talking about anyone on this board, but we get facebook tags on crap like that all the time. For us, it's awesome to hear how someone was able to use our style, and make it fit in other awesome ways.

As to whether footwork tracks will become the next Bmore, or Kuduro, probably highly unlikely. Footwork tracks are not easily made on Ableton, or any system, and I really can't imagine many people trying to listen to it. As to juke, that shit is too fast to be blended in, so it'll probably either be juk-a-holics anonymous, which are most dj's out here in Chicago dj's! What I mean by juk-a-holics anonymous is the dj's who love the stuff, but refuse to play it at gigs, or even give shout outs to the juke dj's. Trust me, there's a shitload of em.

And basically, one of our points while we're out in the UK is to blend the whole UK funky scene and juke/footwork scene together, and try to create something new. We're planning on working close with a lot of the main artists out there to make sure that everyone has their place in this scene if it is to blow up. And we're really going to try our best to cement the ground now so that we won't have an ordeal where dubstep heads fight between awesome beats and wah-wah music.

But really, no matter how big this music blows, I'll make sure that Spinn, Rashad, and whoever else blows the fuck up still does footworkin events for free, or at no charge. The money will come and go, but the real hot tracks are here to stay.

In the music industry, you do everything for either the money, the publicity, or the love. NEVER FORGET THE LOVEEEEE

And yeah dave, i don't think anyone in here thinks BBU incorporates juke into any of their music. If you guys did, you're naive fools! FOOLS I SAY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nnazem View Post
    They're actually tourin with us for a bit while we're out in the UK!
    Any more details on this? Who / when / where / etc? Would love to catch some of this stuff in a club.

I'd never heard of BBU so I youtubed them, don't think anyone is going to mistake that for Juke!

Also, check your PMs here, I sent you a message about your site.

hi

i dont really weigh in on here often but i just had to stop by and say that if those of you who wanna start throwing around the "fuck hipsters" comments and accuse us of jumping on some bandwaggon then you've obviously been in the dark about what we've been doing for years. those of you from the uk who just discovered this shit and are now in trepidation about its authenticity, for your information we've been collecting / playing / loving this style of music for many years and nothing has changed appart from the rest of you have caught up.
    Whatever you think of the girl unit tracks, he made some original tracks using some 808 samples. Nobody in our camp ever called it juke. Why would it be juke when its built at 135 bpm? its upfront music from London so clearly its not juke. Nobody, at least nobody in Night Slugs, is watering anything down or trying to start some new trend, we're just doing what we love and feel is right with our music, so allow the knee-jerks

thanks

Nnazem - are footwork and juke different genres? I though juke was the music and footwork was the dancing

I don't think anyone's having a pop at Nightslugs or accusing you of being bandwagon jumpers.
    From my point of view the only worry is people referring to tracks like Footcrab as Juke tracks (which has happened already in the Dubstep thread) rather than Juke influenced, thereby possbily missing out on hearing and appreciating actual Juke

Girl Unit does have a 160bpm Juke track on his mix here by the way

http://soundcloud.com/girlunit/130-160-megamix

i just want to weigh again.

first off.

nightslugs are not trendhopping or whatever.
    those kids have been on to a lot of this stuff for a while.

girl unit isn't juke but juke inspired. same with the addison groove.
    there's nothing wrong with it at all.
    nothing wrong with taking elements of the genre and incorporating them into your own productions.

especially when it comes to footwork. some of the tom syncopation and the sub bass is very inspirational.

let's face it. we're all pretty much tourists when it comes the footwork genre.
    save for dave quam. i'm pretty sure none of us have been to a footwork event in chicago. the birthplace of this stuff.

i lived in chicago a little more than 6 years.

have seen different stages of juke becoming or trying to reach beyond regional popularity.

anyone remember that "my block" report on MTV?

Quote Originally Posted by paolo View Post
    Nnazem - are footwork and juke different genres? I though juke was the music and footwork was the dancing
    i'm not nnazem but juke and footwork are the same genre. but footwork is a sub genre off of juke. take this example. juke is metal and foot work is black metal.
    footwork is a bit more mental. and it's made specifically for footworkin competitions.
    but you footwork to both.

juke came first and footwork is spawned from it.

Default Muwahahahaha

Bok Bok, I love the shit outta you man! Muwahahahahahaha. I know you probably weren't even talkin to me, but at least you got a chance to see that we actually love the fuck outta the girl unit track. In reality, I don't think anyone on here is worried about nightslugs or headhunter doing anything with the tracks, I think we're all just worried about suburban kids from Connecticut hearing it, being inspired, and turning juke into the next wah-wah sounding bulshit that, and having 5 weak as fuck hollertronix records off of it. I know you work with Mad Decent, so you can't comment on my Hollertronix comment, but I don't! DIPLO IS WEAK AS FUCK, AND DESTROYS EVERY GENRE OF MUSIC!!!!! In reality, we consider Night Slugs our fuckin UK Brothers from ugly mothers, muwahahaha. I can clearly hear the Girl Unit track, and say I'm fuckin blown away as to what you guys were able to do with certain principles of our genre. I even tell you this shit in my e-mails son!

Now all the peanut butter jelly lovin I have for Bok Bok aside, here's the main problems with talkin about juke and footwork, and trying to claim they are different, or the same.

Since the early days of ghetto house, DJ PJ, DJ Deeon, DJ Slugo, etc, there have been footworkers. Footwork groups such as the House-O-Matics, U Phi U, Gutter Thugs, and Wolf Pac have about 20 tracks to their names by every artist I just listed above. Footworking as a dance has existed as long as women were scrubbin the ground to this music. The music itself just got faster, more bass heavy, more reliant on the crazy ass tom patterns, and became a bit simpler.

Now the problem with saying that they are two different genres of music is simply the fact that besides the differences in their snare and kick patterns, they often times sample, pattern, and even use the instruments the same way. Whenever there's a new style of doing tracks in say, the "juke genre", you'll hear the exact same things happenin in the "footwork genre". Additionally, there are still a shitload of juke tracks that you would classify as juke that people footwork too all the time. Clent is a master of having tracks that can be used for both jukin, and footworkin parties.
    here's an example:

When most people think of juke, they think of claps on the 2 and 4, simple tom lines, and hilarious hooks. Basically, tracks that either speak the idea to shake that ass, party your ass off, and don't give a fuck. Really, the tracks often times have the attitude of, "FUCK THE WORLD! I'M SHAKIN MY DICK IN THE AIRRRRR! IT'S PARTY TIME!!!" "Traditional" juke is nothing more than just sped up booty house, except a wee bit more ghetto. Here's some classic juke tracks:

Now, what most of you, from what I have seen on this page, have been commenting on are footwork tracks. These are the ones that have crazy ass sample patterns, often times only use claps, kicks, or snares on just the 4th beat, and are often more spacey. I will admit that the tracks sound completely different when I first heard them. However, once you go into the production of the tracks, and hang around the dancers, producers, and the parties for damn near 9 months, you'll start seein these things as the same. I say 9 months because that's how long it's taken me to realize the similarities between the tracks...and to this day, I'm still understanding more and more of this music! Believe me, I'm not an expert, I'm just probably the foremost expert outside of the black community, haha.

But really, the way they cut up the music, the use of the toms, and the patterns of their tracks are often are interchangeable, simply because the people who make juke tracks are the same people who make footwork tracks. They often times interchange what they use in either genre, and make music.

This is in not me saying that the two are exclusive, or saying that they're the same. This is me posing the arguments on both sides of the fence.

I would probably claim that lilg has the closest correct answer. However, there are numerous times when the difference between a song being footwork, and being a juke track is simply the atmosphere you're in.

oh yeah, and to clarify, footwork is a dance, but can also be used to refer to the music played at footwork parties, hence footwork tracks.

PEACE OUT PEOPLE!

Quote Originally Posted by nnazem View Post
    I know you work with Mad Decent, so you can't comment on my Hollertronix comment, but I don't! DIPLO IS WEAK AS FUCK, AND DESTROYS EVERY GENRE OF MUSIC!!!!!
    hahaha.