bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
In regards to the "well produced" vs "bedroom lo-fi omfg", it's more like "what kids footwork to" vs "what kids don't footwork to". Also, this "good production" vs "no budget production" has an interesting history within Chicago music history that I will touch on later.

Please do.
Also, link to that Salem interview? (PM if you must) I know some folks who'll get a kick out of it.

stephenk

nates music is more exciting i think.

yeah i agree, and it's the aspect of homespun genius that leads to semi-clumsy burial comparisons.
but if this stuff was going to start popping up regularly on 12"s, i'd probably dj boo or clent or rashad over him.
+ hint, probably blaqstarr is a more apt b-more comparison, i mean aaron lacrate is a little harsh...i was thinking the same thing though.
salem should not do interviews/play live, biz3 is ruining their whole mystique by getting them to open their mouths in public.

Amicose

Please do.
Also, link to that Salem interview? (PM if you must) I know some folks who'll get a kick out of it.

Man that Salem interview is outstanding. Particularly when they're asked what they were into as kids - turns out they didn't blast 'Stan' & Kid Rock, but were into juke and triple 6 mafia.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Man that Salem interview is outstanding. Particularly when they're asked what they were into as kids - turns out they didn't blast 'Stan' & Kid Rock, but were into juke and triple 6 mafia.

but wouldn't everyone say that? :p

If so, they were cool kids.

hint

party record with a siren
+ hint, probably blaqstarr is a more apt b-more comparison, i mean aaron lacrate is a little harsh...i was thinking the same thing though..

Hehe... i tried to get across that I wasn't comparing them in that way, but you're right.

My point is that the opportunities are there to be taken - these things have a life of their own and don't conform to anyone's terms and conditions. Planet Mu were excited and inspired enough by Nate's music to put the work in to make something happen. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the music istelf, it's a wonderful thing!

dave quam

Rusko is producing for Britney spears, guess it's time for the managers of these better dubstep dudes to step it up!

Also, Salem grew up with Marylin Manson, not juke. If you believe that or the fact that they go to "footwork clubs" then you are stupid.

What magazine was that interview in again anyways?

I think the point brought up in regards to Bmore and the pointing at authenticity is a good comparison no doubt. Something actually worth thinking/talking about.

You all should know tho that most of this "youtube" style isn't really around anymore, and really hasn't for a while. Like it has been said, all these imeem/jamglue tracks are way old, and they ain't playin elmoe/nate/ect at footwork evenst. Even when DJ Solo played at this pretty big event the other night, all his tracks (100% his own stuff) were 2-3 years old, and he learned from Spinn and Rashad if I remember right. DJ Earl was saying the other night that both Elmoe and Trouble are doing hip-hop beats, and that Elmoe was making dope ones. So you can cry about it all you want, but that stuff is pretty done sorry to say. Also Nate might get in terrible articles and a million views on Youtube and name checked by goofy goth kids, but who's out in Europe now, who already has records out, who will continue to have records out, and who's been working with producers from all over the world? Also, who can actually DJ?! I imagine dudes that have been producing since before juke even existed, who were pioneers of it's evolution to what it is now, and who didn't stop making tracks to make hip-hop beats because of any lack of attention are going to continue to push the envelope.

But I've already said it before, I like a good amount of those Youtube guys and aside from Slugo, Deeon, Jammin Gerald, and Milton, Nate was one of the first guys that exposed me to the music. It's cool that Mike is putting out his older joints in physical form, even if some white Aphex Twin dorks are gonna think that's what's going on in Chicago right now:). Better than BBU at least.

mms

sometimes
Rusko is producing for Britney spears, guess it's time for the managers of these better dubstep dudes to step it up!

don't know any dubstep managers but i coudn't care less about rusko or britney spears, they're both terrible.

But I've already said it before, I like a good amount of those Youtube guys and aside from Slugo, Deeon, Jammin Gerald, and Milton, Nate was one of the first guys that exposed me to the music. It's cool that Mike is putting out his older joints in physical form, even if some white Aphex Twin dorks are gonna think that's what's going on in Chicago right now:). Better than BBU at least.

I don't reckon that will happen and planet mu seem to have made it clear that these are older ones and also that nate pretty much does hip hop now.
So do you see those dancemania guys as making the same music as from here it looks loads different ?

franz

You all should know tho that most of this "youtube" style isn't really around anymore, and really hasn't for a while. Like it has been said, all these imeem/jamglue tracks are way old, and they ain't playin elmoe/nate/ect at footwork evenst. Even when DJ Solo played at this pretty big event the other night, all his tracks (100% his own stuff) were 2-3 years old, and he learned from Spinn and Rashad if I remember right. DJ Earl was saying the other night that both Elmoe and Trouble are doing hip-hop beats, and that Elmoe was making dope ones. So you can cry about it all you want, but that stuff is pretty done sorry to say.

if people elsewhere are sufficiently inspired by it, it will migrate and mutate all the same. purity and geographical sanctimoniousness aside.

Damien

Dave Quam I think most people that are into DJ Nate etc are aware that it isn't relevant in the Chicago scene, or that they are not producing anymore because they are producing RnB for cash, or that they aren't as skilled as Rashad etc that's not the point though.

Just because a lot of Grime artists are chasing paper now making shite RnB doesn't mean I am about to throw away all my old Grime records and just because Dubstep is produced a lot better doesn't mean I should have to prefer that to the stuff that kids were making on playstation back in the day

As regards DJ Rashad not making it across, I am totally totally gutted :(

Last edited:

tom lea

having a man from heathrow immigration use the line "i know you're lying, and i know mr. bok bok is lying too" was quite an experience.

this party will be fiya with or without rashad...

Amicose

You all should know tho that most of this "youtube" style isn't really around anymore, and really hasn't for a while. Like it has been said, all these imeem/jamglue tracks are way old, and they ain't playin elmoe/nate/ect at footwork evenst. Even when DJ Solo played at this pretty big event the other night, all his tracks (100% his own stuff) were 2-3 years old, and he learned from Spinn and Rashad if I remember right. DJ Earl was saying the other night that both Elmoe and Trouble are doing hip-hop beats, and that Elmoe was making dope ones. So you can cry about it all you want, but that stuff is pretty done sorry to say. Also Nate might get in terrible articles and a million views on Youtube and name checked by goofy goth kids, but who's out in Europe now, who already has records out, who will continue to have records out, and who's been working with producers from all over the world? Also, who can actually DJ?! I imagine dudes that have been producing since before juke even existed, who were pioneers of it's evolution to what it is now, and who didn't stop making tracks to make hip-hop beats because of any lack of attention are going to continue to push the envelope.

Thing is, pushing the envelope isn't don't by people sitting down & thinking "ok how can we estrange this music? It's "ok, how does this thing work?"

Emphasising how fleeting the Elmoe/Nate moment in Chicago was won't do much more that feed the mythology of the music they were making a few years ago. And it's accumulating a lot of mythology already. I mean there's so many weak journalistic moves you could take a this point - kids who made incredible music & packed it in cos no-one cares, kids sidelined by authorities on the scene, got to work hard to find the music in an age of instant access, disinterest in trad formats..

I'm all for Spinn & Rashad as well, the whole ghetto house heritage, this music has sent me hours on end into Dance Mania's discogs page. Spinn & Rashad, I'm into what they're doing, experienced guys with infrastructure they've built up working hard on spreading the news. Tunes are banging too, and this is what it's all about; and hearing that Elmoe/Nate have dropped juke for the dollar and moved over to making 'Little Mama Bad As Hell' is not what it's about, but no-one's efforts are going to kill the momentum of that Taylor Swift/Minnie Ripperton weird kids shit. The music's too good.

More factual question. Where the fuck can I find more RP Boo? 'Eraser' is my shit but Boo's scarce even on utube.

I don't think anyone believes that Salem went to footwork clubs as kids/didn't have tight blond Eminem haircuts. Wish I could find that interview - just watching the woman in the band, who is more shrewd and perceptive than the others, eyeball the bandmates and slap down any conversation that threatens to break open this incredibly tenuous bullshit.. anyway this is another thread.
Found it - Please be warned these guys are full of just so much shit.

Damien

I can see why you Americans are railing against Dorky white kids after seeing that interview. :D:D

I don't know if I'm out of some kind of loop of horrible bands but I've never heard of Salem and that was awful, had to switch it off almost immediately.

mms

sometimes
gosh that salem thing - including the absolutely loathsome hipster interviewer - who's insistance he's down is like a neurotic tick, is just awful.

BareBones

wheezy
i am so, so gutted about rashad. the main reason i was going tomorrow. anyway i'm still gonna buy a ticket if there's any left as it will still be hype - i hope some of the other djs play some juke in rashad's honour.

tom lea

i am so, so gutted about rashad. the main reason i was going tomorrow. anyway i'm still gonna buy a ticket if there's any left as it will still be hype - i hope some of the other djs play some juke in rashad's honour.
there'll almost 100% be a peak time juke set. its gutting tho, of course.