Gavin

booty bass intellectual
To what extent are sonic similarities driven by similar technologies of production and playback?

stephenk

i thought that mix was pretty whatever, aside from maybe the initial transition to rashad and the final juke bit..."drop juke out" is one of my favorite rashad tracks.
but i'm more interested in ghettotech/juke/footwork when it's placed all over the mix, which i suppose can be a tricky thing, but i'd rather have a lot of energy ups-and-downs rather than starting slow and going faster and faster (if that makes any sense).

mms

sometimes
This is all so stupid, whilst MMS is sat in a farmhouse in Cornwall, thinking he's friends with Aphex Twin and Luke Vibert, waiting for someone to respond to his 20th dissensus post of the hour i'm actually FLYING to Chicago!

Who wants to join me?

http://www.edreams.com/flights/london-chicago/

oh man you don't know anything about me at all.

and i don't live in cornwall so stop dreaming i live in a farmhouse - i wish.

and who the fuck are you anyway, did this thread become a retard magnet?
enjoy your holiday anyway

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
The Addison groove mix is nice, I will say that I didn’t really like the massive pitch shift during Nike, but w/e that obviously had to happen to build...

I have been experimenting with juke over 80bpm type of stuff, makes for a really exciting intro (imho, you guys probably think ‘snoooze zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz’), especially when using Nike as an intro track. I am waiting to do a promo mix with said mix included, please don’t beat me to it anybody :-(

dave quam

so waiting to get off the plane you have a 71 meg aiff? Confused.

If you had 71meg aiffs of RP Boo files why haven't you been sharing?????!! OMG

I don't think RP even has that.

What turned me off to this place was the attitude I got that basically people didn't want to learn about a genre they were interested in, which seemed like the dumbest thing ever to me. Many of you took that attitude when me and Neema tried to provide information. So many of you seemed to have learned all you wanted to and peaked at youtube. I started an account at this place because of this thread and had never been here before and only want the genre to grow. I am sorry if I sped off quickly, even with how "prestigious" this forum is. I'd really like to see that actually happen first.

I also don't see the point in arguing over ghetto house/juke coming from jungle. Juke/footwork has absolutely nothing to do with the UK. Chicago music has NEVER had anything to do with the UK period, so stop thinking about it.

Amicose

Nah, just a single granular aiff ripped off utube, kept at 71mb to preserve every bit possible. If only I had a bank of these..

I think the debate about jungle is like; juke and footwork clearly don't come from or have anything to do with UK music. But they do have something spiritually in common. Pitched up and down vocal samples from in one case ragga and the other hip hop, beats as hooks as much as anchors, bass doing rhythmic work, etc.
You'd be an idiot to say that juke inherited anything from uk music. But there's at least a conversation to be had about how juke as dealt with its own inheritance in a similar way to how uk music did.

I for one have always been up for learning about this stuff. My point was, I can't also un-learn how much I was into some of the stuff you Chicago guys aren't so into or don't see as being important within the scene.
Like I'm well into RP Boo and Nate as much as I can get hold of either of their music. But at one point I think you said Boo is objectively better, which is not information but opinion, and is a very difficult position to uphold as information. That he's more important to the scene, has given more in the past and is building more for the future, absolutely.

Good to see you back

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
its true juke has nothing to do with the UK it comes thru chicago, i don't think anyone claimed that apart from saying there are simularities with contemporary music from the uk, i didn't anyway.

However Chicago house was the most popular dance music in the uk a long time ago and englishers do love stuff from Chicago, however we've gone through that on the thread - you said you didn't want to listen to what i've tried to explain about our history with house in the uk -mr Quam, we're honestly listening and learning from you, i was trying to send it the other way with respect to the music.

A quick question - what kinda time did people start adding the triplets and fills etc, when the music started to move away from the more linear juke style, was there a kind of moment or did it just start creeping in?

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
oh man you don't know anything about me at all.

and i don't live in cornwall so stop dreaming i live in a farmhouse - i wish.

and who the fuck are you anyway, did this thread become a retard magnet?
enjoy your holiday anyway

suppose i should say i'm new to dissensus but i've been following it for some weeks now. to me it seemed as though you (MMS) took the role of pantomine villain, bean really mean to everyone whilst everyone enjoyed getting one over you.

oh and my cousin lives in chicago (27 cousins us latinos still have big families unlike you middle class whites). i'm going to visit her but i thought i should take in some footwork battles at the same time

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
What turned me off to this place was the attitude I got that basically people didn't want to learn about a genre they were interested in, which seemed like the dumbest thing ever to me. Many of you took that attitude when me and Neema tried to provide information. So many of you seemed to have learned all you wanted to and peaked at youtube. I started an account at this place because of this thread and had never been here before and only want the genre to grow. I am sorry if I sped off quickly, even with how "prestigious" this forum is. I'd really like to see that actually happen first.

I'd never even heard of juke before I saw this thread and I'm starting to get in to it now thanks to links from here and what have you. I can only speak for myself but I'd guess that that's the case for other people who post on here

mms

sometimes
suppose i should say i'm new to dissensus but i've been following it for some weeks now. to me it seemed as though you (MMS) took the role of pantomine villain, bean really mean to everyone whilst everyone enjoyed getting one over you.

oh and my cousin lives in chicago (27 cousins us latinos still have big families unlike you middle class whites). i'm going to visit her but i thought i should take in some footwork battles at the same time
sigh...for about the 15th time....

i've not tried to be mean to anyone, i've almost always said that it's nothing personal and put 'see what i mean' or addressed people directly , sure i've got pissed off a few times but i've just been trying to find out more about juke, try to show how we come across it from this side of the pond, try to avoid some of the objectivity thats come across and the negativity to uk people discovering juke and chicago people getting on one cos of the things we've championed not matching with the things they percieve as juke, because however uk people discover it, it's a good thing for juke and chicago. and it's good that quam and nnazem are getting their pov across too, and weighing in with some of the facts on the ground as they are involved in the active culture, i've just wished they try and accept that we aren't. I just wish some of the questions i've asked could get answered but they swallowed by petty whatever shit like this quite frankly.

I'm trying to be clear about it all really, but it seems there is so much at stake with discussing fukin juke and so many swinging dicks that its been a constant battle to try and work out what people mean where they are coming from, if they're not trying to promote their own people etc, trying to get across where i'm coming from etc, i'm really bored of saying this - it seems to me that message boards are just places where people misunderstand each other and look for fights sometimes more than actually reading posts and trying to actually settle on perspectives - ie thats your perspective, this is mine, these are common points etc, this thread is the probably the best example of that going really wrong!

Last edited:

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
sigh...

i've not tried to be mean to anyone, i've almost always said that it's nothing personal and put 'see what i mean' or addressed people directly , sure i've got pissed off a few times but i've just been trying to find out more about juke, try to show how we come across it from this side of the pond, try to avoid some of the objectivity thats come across and the negativity to uk people discovering juke and chicago people getting on one cos of the things we've championed not matching with the things they percieve as juke, because however uk people discover it, it's a good thing for juke and chicago. and it's good that quam and nnazem are getting their pov across too, and weighing in with some of the facts on the ground as they are involved in the active culture. I just wish some of the questions i've asked could get answered but they swallowed by petty whatever shit like this quite frankly.

I'm trying to be clear about it all really, but it seems there is so much at stake with discussing fukin juke and so many swinging dicks that its been a constant battle to try and work out what people mean where they are coming from, if they're not trying to promote their own people etc, trying to get across where i'm coming from etc, i'm really bored of saying this - it seems to me that message boards are just places where people misunderstand each other and look for fights sometimes more than actually reading posts and trying to actually settle on perspectives - ie thats your perspective, this is mine, these are common points etc, this thread is the probably the best example of that going really wrong!

SORRY guess i'm just trying to come to terms with the consensus of dissensus

:eek::D;):eek::cool:

gumdrops

lol what happened to this thread. it was all lovely until news of the mu compilation came around. i blame paradinas. ;p

mms

sometimes
i'll bring it back. here's my favourite footwork track

To be pedantic - He's from Detroit though and thats a ghettotech record from 10 years ago - -
Chicago ppl would probably say it's not juke or footwork - even though of course they sound similar etc and i'm sure those guys play together etc, the chicago lot probaby influenced ghettotech too.
http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/weekly_article/ghettotech-the-bluffers-guide.htm

The other track is a baltimore house record...

Last edited: